R K

Jon Snow - You Save Money By Building Houses

19 posts in this topic

2 minute video by Jon Snow of Channel 4 news

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/video/2012/mar/30/jon-snow-houses-video?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3486

* You save money by building houses

* 100,000 isn't enough

* Need 2 million

* Build on brownfield and greenfield

* Build as if we're post-war

+2m

:)

[quote name='doccyboy' timestamp='1333278636' post='909004472']
I've always said Jon Snow had his head screwed on right
[/quote]

hang on though I thought the problem was cheap credit not shortage of supply ?

Build 2 million more houses for 2 million more immigrants....then build another 2 million more houses...2 million more immigrants...ad infinitum. That's the way I see it.

[quote name='The Dude' timestamp='1333279130' post='909004477']
Build 2 million more houses for 2 million more immigrants....then build another 2 million more houses...2 million more immigrants...ad infinitum. That's the way I see it.
[/quote]
Gotta keep that pyramid going somehow...

"You know nothing Jon Snow!"

Sorry just couldn't resist a "Game of Thrones" quote :D Edited by madpenguin

Land's too valuable a strategic resource to build on it. We need less people not more land consumption. Build up - not across. Edited by Police

[quote name='Police' timestamp='1333280033' post='909004493']
Land's too valuable a strategic resource to build on it. We need less people not more land consumption. Build up - not across.
[/quote]

We can print more food.

[quote name='chronyx' timestamp='1333281706' post='909004505']
We can print more food.
[/quote]

http://www.candy-licious.net/products/Edible-Paper-Money.html

Isn't land a valuable resource [i]because[/i] we can do things with it? Like build on it?

Land's too valuable a strategic resource to build on it. We need less people not more land consumption. Build up - not across.
[/quote]

No way. Up is ugly. Less people is the answer to many of the world's problems. We breed like bloody rabbits. Human beings are sex addicts. Global population growth is relentless. Surely it is unsustainable but it seems none of the big hitters want to address it.

[quote name='The Dude' timestamp='1333279130' post='909004477']
[/quote]

Yep. Prices went into freefall during 2008 and early 2009 with LESS building...because credit went.

There might be a case for some new housing, but the credit ponzi is the main thing.

[/quote]

Strategic resource? Are you predicting a combined sea and aerial blockade? I gather there are countries in Africa that have protected their strategic land resource with great care. Perhaps you would like to move there?

The most reliable way of affording food for a developed country is to make something that can be exchanged for it. Anyone suggesting that we should bulldoze factories, hospitals, or housing in order that we could plant some more strategic potatos and carrots would clearly be mad.

I wonder just what circumstances you envisage that would make it impossible to import food, and yet possible to farm the strategic land? Just how much worth of vegetables can you grow on a building plot? I bet it's a trivial amount compared even to the council tax, never mind the rent on a house that could be built there.

Not possible, sorry.

When I built my massive house on the edge of the green belt in 1960 we had worked out +exactly+ what was sustainable.

Some old guy who had a view of the fields (now behind my house which has a view of the fields) claimed my house was going to hurt "the humours of London". I told him that was out-dated claptrap and that my building was the workable limit for "the lungs of London".

We worked it out quite carefully and it turned out that my house was sustainable but if anyone wanted to build one house in front of mine it would cause environmental collapse.

I'd love to see young people have the opportunity to have the advantages I had but alas it's not possible.

ps thanks for the winter fuel allowance and for keeping all the immigrants who keep costs down out of my sight in the cities!

[quote name='tricksters' timestamp='1333282673' post='909004515']
Global population growth is relentless.
[/quote]

Human population growth relents when people believe their children have a chance of making it to adulthood (this can take a generation or two to take effect - generally that first batch of children who didn't grow up watching their siblings die are the ones who don't have children as fast as they can) and when people don't feel they need to rely on their children to keep them alive as they grow older. Edited by JJJ

[quote name='MongerOfDoom' timestamp='1333284028' post='909004525']
Strategic resource? Are you predicting a combined sea and aerial blockade? I gather there are countries in Africa that have protected their strategic land resource with great care. Perhaps you would like to move there?

The most reliable way of affording food for a developed country is to make something that can be exchanged for it. Anyone suggesting that we should bulldoze factories, hospitals, or housing in order that we could plant some more strategic potatos and carrots would clearly be mad.

I wonder just what circumstances you envisage that would make it impossible to import food, and yet possible to farm the strategic land? Just how much worth of vegetables can you grow on a building plot? I bet it's a trivial amount compared even to the council tax, never mind the rent on a house that could be built there.
[/quote]
Ecosystems are a strategic resource essential to humanity.

If you build 2 million houses everyone just breeds to fill the space then 2 million more are needed. I suspect you couldn't give a shit so long as you got your semi-detached with nice garden to inhabit for the next 30 years.

[quote]
I wonder just what circumstances you envisage that would make it impossible to import food, and yet possible to farm the strategic land?
[/quote]
Read a little recent history.

[quote name='i wanna house' timestamp='1333278784' post='909004473']
hang on though I thought the problem was cheap credit not shortage of supply ?
[/quote]
Exavtly.
Snow is yet another rich leftie Keynesian who just doesn't get it.

[quote name='Police' timestamp='1333289342' post='909004562']
Ecosystems are a strategic resource essential to humanity.
[/quote]

It hardly follows it makes sense not to build on some of the most expensive land on the planet.

If you build 2 million houses everyone just breeds to fill the space then 2 million more are needed.
[/quote]

Right. So you want to tell other people not to have as many children? BTW, the state already provides plenty of living space to anyone seriously keen on reproduction.

I suspect you couldn't give a shit so long as you got your semi-detached with nice garden to inhabit for the next 30 years.
[/quote]

I merely point out that your argument about strategic resources is fallacious. And no, I could not care less if the green belt is built on. It's not worth even £100 quid a year to me given how often I can be bothered to go near it. But I end up paying thousands in increased housing costs that benefit people who do nothing obvious to deserve it, except possibly voting and making a lot of noise.

Read a little recent history.
[/quote]

Such as? Last time there was a serious shortage of food would have been in WW2? I don't see why to worry about another world war, seeing as it would destroy all life. In any case, I am pretty sure no-one seriously believes that food security or the preservation of ecosystems is what the planning system is about.

[quote name='Red Knight' timestamp='1333277926' post='909004465']

Build as if we're post-war

[/quote]

..we [b]are[/b] post war...just got rid of Gordo Clown and crew a couple of years ago....we should be building now.... :rolleyes:

[quote name='bmf' timestamp='1333284989' post='909004536']
Not possible, sorry.

When I built my massive house on the edge of the green belt in 1960 we had worked out +exactly+ what was sustainable.

Some old guy who had a view of the fields (now behind my house which has a view of the fields) claimed my house was going to hurt "the humours of London". I told him that was out-dated claptrap and that my building was the workable limit for "the lungs of London".

We worked it out quite carefully and it turned out that my house was sustainable but if anyone wanted to build one house in front of mine it would cause environmental collapse.

I'd love to see young people have the opportunity to have the advantages I had but alas it's not possible.

ps thanks for the winter fuel allowance and for keeping all the immigrants who keep costs down out of my sight in the cities!
[/quote]

Fantastic post, I haven't had such a laugh in ages. Most people in my part of the world think like this...

Hold on they're serious :(