http://www.guardian....P=ILCNETTXT3486

* You save money by building houses

* 100,000 isn't enough

* Need 2 million

* Build on brownfield and greenfield

* Build as if we're post-war

+2m

:)

"The problem with capitalism is that eventually you end up with everyone else's money" RK
"We have now entered The Great Rebalancing 2007-20xx" - RK
"Gold will go to $1000, Silver to $18" - RK August 2011
QE 100bn and build 1m council homes - RK
Carney announces the launch of Empire 2.0 - Rise of the Banksters Oct '13

#2 i wanna house

i wanna house

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

I've always said Jon Snow had his head screwed on right

hang on though I thought the problem was cheap credit not shortage of supply ?

#3 Englebert

Englebert

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Build 2 million more houses for 2 million more immigrants....then build another 2 million more houses...2 million more immigrants...ad infinitum. That's the way I see it.

#4 TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Build 2 million more houses for 2 million more immigrants....then build another 2 million more houses...2 million more immigrants...ad infinitum. That's the way I see it.

Gotta keep that pyramid going somehow...

#5 madpenguin

madpenguin

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

"You know nothing Jon Snow!"

Sorry just couldn't resist a "Game of Thrones" quote :D

Edited by madpenguin, 01 April 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#6 Police

Police

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Land's too valuable a strategic resource to build on it. We need less people not more land consumption. Build up - not across.

Edited by Police, 01 April 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#7 chronyx

chronyx

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Land's too valuable a strategic resource to build on it. We need less people not more land consumption. Build up - not across.

We can print more food.

#8 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,413 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

We can print more food.

http://www.candy-lic...aper-Money.html
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#9 JJJ

JJJ

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Isn't land a valuable resource because we can do things with it? Like build on it?

#10 tricksters

tricksters

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

No way. Up is ugly. Less people is the answer to many of the world's problems. We breed like bloody rabbits. Human beings are sex addicts. Global population growth is relentless. Surely it is unsustainable but it seems none of the big hitters want to address it.

#11 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,133 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Yep. Prices went into freefall during 2008 and early 2009 with LESS building...because credit went.

There might be a case for some new housing, but the credit ponzi is the main thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#12 MongerOfDoom

MongerOfDoom

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Strategic resource? Are you predicting a combined sea and aerial blockade? I gather there are countries in Africa that have protected their strategic land resource with great care. Perhaps you would like to move there?

The most reliable way of affording food for a developed country is to make something that can be exchanged for it. Anyone suggesting that we should bulldoze factories, hospitals, or housing in order that we could plant some more strategic potatos and carrots would clearly be mad.

I wonder just what circumstances you envisage that would make it impossible to import food, and yet possible to farm the strategic land? Just how much worth of vegetables can you grow on a building plot? I bet it's a trivial amount compared even to the council tax, never mind the rent on a house that could be built there.

#13 bmf

bmf

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Not possible, sorry.

When I built my massive house on the edge of the green belt in 1960 we had worked out +exactly+ what was sustainable.

Some old guy who had a view of the fields (now behind my house which has a view of the fields) claimed my house was going to hurt "the humours of London". I told him that was out-dated claptrap and that my building was the workable limit for "the lungs of London".

We worked it out quite carefully and it turned out that my house was sustainable but if anyone wanted to build one house in front of mine it would cause environmental collapse.

I'd love to see young people have the opportunity to have the advantages I had but alas it's not possible.

ps thanks for the winter fuel allowance and for keeping all the immigrants who keep costs down out of my sight in the cities!

#14 JJJ

JJJ

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Global population growth is relentless.

Human population growth relents when people believe their children have a chance of making it to adulthood (this can take a generation or two to take effect - generally that first batch of children who didn't grow up watching their siblings die are the ones who don't have children as fast as they can) and when people don't feel they need to rely on their children to keep them alive as they grow older.

Edited by JJJ, 01 April 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#15 Police

Police

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Strategic resource? Are you predicting a combined sea and aerial blockade? I gather there are countries in Africa that have protected their strategic land resource with great care. Perhaps you would like to move there?

The most reliable way of affording food for a developed country is to make something that can be exchanged for it. Anyone suggesting that we should bulldoze factories, hospitals, or housing in order that we could plant some more strategic potatos and carrots would clearly be mad.

I wonder just what circumstances you envisage that would make it impossible to import food, and yet possible to farm the strategic land? Just how much worth of vegetables can you grow on a building plot? I bet it's a trivial amount compared even to the council tax, never mind the rent on a house that could be built there.

Ecosystems are a strategic resource essential to humanity.

If you build 2 million houses everyone just breeds to fill the space then 2 million more are needed. I suspect you couldn't give a shit so long as you got your semi-detached with nice garden to inhabit for the next 30 years.

I wonder just what circumstances you envisage that would make it impossible to import food, and yet possible to farm the strategic land?

Read a little recent history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users