House Price Crash Forum

How Much Is Your Weekly Food Shopping Bill?

Darkman

HOLA441
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

You have to weigh up the cost of the raw ingredients against the cost of the fuel to cook them......try to fill any oven space to maximum capacity and batch bake in bulk.....in the winter I remember toasting our bread with a fork around the fire. ;)

HOLA443

Incidentally, we popped into Iceland today for perhaps the first time. On first impression it seemed a lot cheaper than Sainsburys. I'll have to compare prices more closely, but maybe these bigger chains get away with charging more?

HOLA444

Incidentally, we popped into Iceland today for perhaps the first time. On first impression it seemed a lot cheaper than Sainsburys. I'll have to compare prices more closely, but maybe these bigger chains get away with charging more?

My recent supermarket survey.......

Tesco....lost trust in them a fair while ago, pop in from time to time, still not convinced they have got things right.

ASDA...used to be my favorite, but they have had major changes recently, not for the customer benefit, very disillusioned with them recently....they have changed their smart price branding, not so smart....one warning with them....their smaller weight items work out to be cheaper than the larger sized items, noticed that in both cheese and meat....also they don't sell their smart price items in all their stores, so I don't shop there.

Sainsbury...only rarely visit, have improved over recent years after going through a really bad period, one of those shops where certain things are very good so worth using them alongside other stores.

Coop...not that keen, you do some good deals and their reductions are very good if there at the right time, an expensive store generally though.

Morrisons...I am warming to them, certain things need improvement like their labeling and empty shelves when all the good offers sold out too often, poor stock keeping.... their meat and fish is better than the other stores in the same price bracket, they sell different cuts of meat like brisket, skirt, ox tail, lamb shanks and even nice pork belly that is in a whole lump not cut in slices or stuffed.

Lidl....I like lidl, will go their often for many store cupboard items....good shop.

Waitrose.....great if you can afford it and have the surplus disposable income.

Others I have not enough experience to make comment.....well done Morrison and Lidl. ;)

HOLA445

Well I did some simple sums comparing Iceland to Sainsburys, and though the shopping list was limited, the difference in price was HUGE. We're talking half price on many items in Iceland.

Wow. My eyes have been opened :ph34r:

HOLA446

I bought a box of half a dozen bottles of Bordeaux Red on special offer, €9 a box, at the local 'Super-U' the week before last, very drinkable after the first glass :D.

lol

that reminds me, the one bottle of plonk to avoid at all costs (lidl) is the bordeaux, i bought a few bottles before and couldn't drink it for toffee. i ended up keeping it for when my parents visited

just finished a bottle of lidl's fair trade cabernet sauvignon which i can recommend if not for my spelling

Archived