Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
long time lurking

Spain Going Greek ?

8 posts in this topic

General strike, it got a brief mention on channel 4.

Shurely shome mishtake, it's top story on the Beeb website and the Guardian

Strikes and demonstrations aren't going to do their presumably rather valuable tourism industry much good, which links in with the thread about Thomas Cook struggling with bookings down 10%.

Less people going on holiday, spending less when they're there and many (including me) will avoid anywhere likely to be disrupted by striking Airport workers / public transport / full scale riots! - plenty of places where that's pretty unlikely so I'll avoid Greece etc for a while.

I'm looking forward to going back and having some lovely cheap holidays spending millions of dracma or peseta! B)

Strikes and demonstrations aren't going to do their presumably rather valuable tourism industry much good

Spain is certainly going Greek in that respect. Athens is becoming a particularly unsavoury destination.

Amid Debt Crisis, Athens Falls Apart

I'm looking forward to going back and having some lovely cheap holidays spending millions of dracma or peseta! B)

But Merkel reiterated this week that she will never allow an exit from the Euro, even if the countries are trashed.

But Merkel reiterated this week that she will never allow an exit from the Euro, even if the countries are trashed.

That seems a foolish mistake...

The beeb only started covering it when the police had moved in with rubber bullets and ended it.

Important to show people that if they object to what their government does - they get shot.

The beeb only started covering it when the police had moved in with rubber bullets and ended it.

Important to show people that if they object to what their government does - they get shot.

We are more civilized here, we merely give people prison sentences for touching a pair of trainers.

Taking shareholders and taxpayers for a few dozen billion is, of course, not a criminal offense, merely the sort of unfortunate thing that could happen to and decent, unsuspecting chap. Ditto accidentally claiming expenses for a mortgage that doesn't exist.