• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,235 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

There is a two page spread in today's Home section by Helen Davies called: Will the bubble burst?, with a picture of a house being carried aloft by a child's balloon and a hand set to ***** it with a pin, about the prime central London market.

Of course, because of their pay wall, I can't link it, and I can't make myself read it, because it's bound to nauseatingly conclude that the answer is "no", but I thought I'd post it here, because even the use of that B-word might be a first in such a VI homeland as the Sunday Times Home supplement.

I chose the name Pin because I could see a bubble! :lol:
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#2 Giordano Bruno

Giordano Bruno

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

I chose the name Pin because I could see a bubble! :lol:

Your services are urgently required, Mr Pin. :)

----------------- ********************** -----------------

Regarding QE I think that Fiat Money Inflation in France is worth a read.

Property prices only ever go up ... except, of course, when they stay the same or when they come down.

You can go wrong with bricks and mortar.

The banksters need their lovely fat bonuses. The taxpayer has to pay.
Never mind, Taxpayer. Think of it as an exercise in generosity.

Profits will be privatized and losses will be socialized. - Thanks a bunch!

For educated opinion on the Kercher murder case, please read 'Injustice in Perugia' by Bruce Fisher and 'The Monster of Perugia' by Mark Waterbury.
RIP Meredith Kercher.

Friends of Amanda Knox

#3 Pent Up

Pent Up

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'm full of pent up demand.

Isn't there some sort of google trick to be able to read it?
Remember that buying a house is a highly leveraged investment and can result in losses that exceed your initial deposit. Buying a house may not be suitable for everyone, so please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.

"The time to buy is when blood is running in the streets" Baron Nathan Rothschild

#4 thecrashingisles

thecrashingisles

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

To give you an idea, the final paragraph is the usual Sibleyesque madness that everyone will just stay put then, so there will be even less things to buy.

Some people won't learn until interest rates start going up.

Oh dear, they are already!

#5 Gigantic Purple Slug

Gigantic Purple Slug

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

It's an interesting article.

ST is well worth the price IMHO. You get a lot of read for £2.20, lasts me a week.

One thing the article said that I found interesting was that in the budget aparrently VAT work on listed buildings will now not be zero rated. A hidden gem.

#6 Gigantic Purple Slug

Gigantic Purple Slug

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

To give you an idea, the final paragraph is the usual Sibleyesque madness that everyone will just stay put then, so there will be even less things to buy.

It's pure VI tripe, with 50% of the page space trying to flog some actual, particular houses in the affected price bracket.

Maybe read it in Tescos by ripping the packet open.

Acutally I found it quite evenly balanced, with some plusses and minuses.

However, I read it relaxed from the comfort of my armchair.

#7 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Your services are urgently required, Mr Pin. :)

It's like a time lapse film Signor Bruno! It happens slower than most realise! So slow that most people don't see it! :huh:

#8 hotairmail

hotairmail

Tired of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

I used the name Durch because it was written on the side of my beer can in the small print.

Vorsprung durch bier?

I called myself hotairmail because I'm full of sh*t. ;)

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe."

#9 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

Vorsprung durch bier?

I called myself hotairmail because I'm full of sh*t. ;)

Ha ha! That's most of us then? ;)

#10 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

It's pure VI tripe, with 50% of the page space trying to flog some actual, particular houses in the affected price bracket.

Maybe read it in Tescos by ripping the packet open.

Can you not speak the article into the inter web using some speech to text software Mr Durch? :lol:

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#11 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Maybe the Gigantic Purple Slug would be happy to. But I think it's the same as scanning it in terms of copywrite breach, I'm not sure.

Do you really want me to read it and précis it?

Not really, it sounds a crap article to me, probably full of made up people with kids that have names like Joshua and Imogen, go to private schools and have ponies and stuff.

Actually thanks for reminding me why I don't buy the Sunday Times anymore. :P

Edited by "Steed", 25 March 2012 - 02:26 PM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#12 Killer Bunny

Killer Bunny

Twitterati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,509 posts
  • About Me:I love - love I tell you - Twitter

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

deleted

Edited by Killer Bunny, 25 March 2012 - 02:27 PM.

In 1931 they did not know yet that they were in The Great Depression
Cap'n, you cannae change the laws of... Economics!
"If they raise rates we're toast. If they don't its BECAUSE we're toast" Pundit: Sky News March 2011
"That which is unsustainable will not sustain" Milton Friedman

#13 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,465 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

I've just read it - GPS was right, it's not so bad. (So much for my instinct. :lol: )

In essence, it states what's happened, how tiny the population of houses affected, that lots of sales were rushed through (£107 million of relevant sales in one day for Knight Frank - £15 million on the same day last year), that lots of vendors priced just over £2 million rushed to drop just under, that some vendors up to £3 million might pay the extra duty for the buyers, that property outside London is expected to teeter, but then carry on as normal, and that rural places with farmland are excluded from the new rate. Then it ends up saying most people will stay put and supply will dry up. Plus lots of ads.

Sounds bullish?
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#14 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Then it ends up saying most people will stay put and supply will dry up. Plus lots of ads.

Of course! No one need ever need sell a property ever again. Estate agents throughout the land to shut up shop immediately.

#15 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,465 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

The Telegraph has stuck up a story saying that the new stamp duty on companies will be impossible to collect and so will not affect the housing market.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users