• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,788 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

They had a bloke on the news from a lobbying group saying that there should be statutory lobbying groups. He said "bring it on".

What would a TV advertisement for a lobby group look like? How would they sell their business to prospective clients?

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#17 billybong

billybong

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

They had a bloke on the news from a lobbying group saying that there should be statutory lobbying groups. He said "bring it on".

What would a TV advertisement for a lobby group look like? How would they sell their business to prospective clients?

Likely a lobby group would look very like a (very small and unrepresentative) political party outside of the recognised mainstream parties but paying the mainstream parties to adopt it's unrepresentative policies.

So TV advertisements would have similarities to party political broadcasts - dramatic music, mood music, false sincerity, exaggerated claims and all the rest with the addition of brown envelopes or equivalent incentive at the ready.

Edited by billybong, 25 March 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#18 nmarks

nmarks

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

We say that access to politicians should be equal. However, should the chief executive of BP or Glaxo have the ear of the Prime Minister or should they have the same access as a pensioner on disability allowance in Hartlepool? What about the Archbishop of Canterbury?

However its done, in a democracy access should never be awarded based on payment.

The Sunday Times story has exposed corruption. People should be calling it like it is.

Edited by nmarks, 25 March 2012 - 11:51 AM.

The 25 Most Dangerous People In Financial Media

There are some things that men must do in order that they remain as men.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court. Didn't you tell me that once?

It is the duty of all good men to nurture the seed of self-destruction that lies at the core of every evil.

The biggest delusion that humans suffer is to abrogate their powers to others then expect something other than despair.

#19 geezer466

geezer466

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts
  • Location:200 Meters from Probably the Most Famous Prom in the World

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

This is not shocking. Indeed, this is the very basis upon which Market Liberal democracies operate. In academic circles it is called investor capture of government. To normal people, it is a complex web of bribery and corruption which is the sole basis upon which all political parties in the UK arrive at policy.

The Conservatives are not so much a political party as simply the function of a lot of very rich people trying to bribe ministers into helping them get even richer.

Thankfully one can't be sued for libelling a political party so feel free to repeat the above ad infinitum.
This is the space for the signature thingy.........

#20 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,581 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Am I alone in feeling that Mr Cruddas, with his dropped aitches; market trader's attitude and stale football metaphors would be more at home on a Bargain Bangers car sales lot than employed where he has been?

Who on earth hired this character?
'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

#21 KingBingo

KingBingo

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

However its done, in a democracy access should never be awarded based on payment.

The Sunday Times story has exposed corruption. People should be calling it like it is.

Yeah and the civil servants should not do their job for payment either.
The truth is that the economies of rich countries, including the UK, are being kept alive by another and astonishingly under-reported bull market in government debt. This is the bond bubble; and when it bursts, as it surely will, the result will be a recession far deeper than the crash from which we are trying to recover.

Allister Heath
17 September 2011

#22 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,206 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

You would really think political parties would be wise to the journalist with the hidden camera by now. Don't they google or check anyone out before spilling the beans, on how to access the PM?

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#23 thecrashingisles

thecrashingisles

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,265 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

You would really think political parties would be wise to the journalist with the hidden camera by now.

Especially one who sounds like an undergraduate and starts salivating as soon as you say anything that would look good in a headline.

#24 CrashConnoisseur

CrashConnoisseur

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Who on earth hired this character?

The same people he donated over 350,000 to.

#25 ska_mna

ska_mna

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Kudos to the Sunday Times for getting this on tape. I've just watched the video on the BBC site.

His only real mistake, of course, was to get caught.

Can we now all stop kidding ourselves that money+lobbying+politics = not a problem

Looking forward to someone from one of the other major parties getting caught out for exactly the same thing in the near future.

#26 iamdamosuzuki

iamdamosuzuki

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

This is not shocking. Indeed, this is the very basis upon which Market Liberal democracies operate. In academic circles it is called investor capture of government. To normal people, it is a complex web of bribery and corruption which is the sole basis upon which all political parties in the UK arrive at policy.

The Conservatives are not so much a political party as simply the function of a lot of very rich people trying to bribe ministers into helping them get even richer.

Thankfully one can't be sued for libelling a political party so feel free to repeat the above ad infinitum.

Thank, I will. The repulsion I feel at mainstream politics is terrible.

You could add Liebour to the above mind.
We have got into the habit of admiring colossal bandits, whose opulence is revered by the entire world, yet whose existence, once we stop to examine it, proves to be one long crime repeated ad infinitum, but those same bandits are heaped with glory, honors, and power, their crimes are hallowed by the law of the land, whereas, as far back in history as the eye can see -- and history, as you know, is my business -- everything conspires to show that a venial theft, especially of inglorious foodstuffs, such as bread crusts, ham, or cheese, unfailingly subjects its perpetrator to irreparable opprobium, the automatic dishonor, and inexpiable shame, and this for two reasons, first because the perpetrator of such an offense is usually poor, which in itself connotes basic unworthiness, and secondly because his act implies, as it were, a tacit reproach to the community. - Celine

#27 alexw

alexw

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Yeah and the civil servants should not do their job for payment either.

Garbage.

There is a big difference between civil servants being paid by us via taxes to enact policies that were included in election manifesto's or similar, and thus have a democratic mandate, and politicians being paid by a wealthy group of plutocrats to represent their very narrow interests, instead of the general publics.

One is a democracy, the other is a banana republic.

From wikipedia -
"In practice, a banana republic is a country operated as a commercial enterprise for private profit, effected by the collusion between the State and favoured monopolies, whereby the profits derived from private exploitation of public lands is private property, and the debts incurred are public responsibility. "

#28 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,071 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Let me assure you, that if i had "access" to David Cameron, a very large stainless steel shovel might be inserted! :lol: :unsure:
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#29 Ascii

Ascii

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

This is a very big story. Number 10 according to Cruddas being used as a House of Bribery. Holier-than-thou Camera-on, obviously unaware (my ****) and suitably disgusted ( yeah we know Dave). He is the PM, he is the figure head of the Conservative Party, he laid out his stance over MP's expenses, he should resign immediately. Did Glaxo whisper in Osborne's ear at Restaurant George with regard to their statement the day after the Budget?

No not really.

Breaking news - the pope is catholic.

To quote one far clever than I (though I don't admit to the translation - I'm not good with French)

The English people believes itself to be free; it is gravely mistaken; it is free only during election of members of parliament; as soon as the members are elected, the people is enslaved; it is nothing. In the brief moment of its freedom, the English people makes such a use of that freedom that it deserves to lose it.

I don't think much has changed since Rousseau wrote that in the 18th century.

#30 dragonfly

dragonfly

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Let me assure you, that if i had "access" to David Cameron, a very large stainless steel shovel might be inserted! :lol: :unsure:

Could you at least make it a rusty one with a picture of Nick Clegg on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users