stormymonday_2011

Tory Peter Cruddas 'selling Access To David Cameron

Let me assure you, that if i had "access" to David Cameron, a very large stainless steel shovel might be inserted! :lol::unsure:

This is a very big story. Number 10 according to Cruddas being used as a House of Bribery. Holier-than-thou Camera-on, obviously unaware (my ****) and suitably disgusted ( yeah we know Dave). He is the PM, he is the figure head of the Conservative Party, he laid out his stance over MP's expenses, he should resign immediately. Did Glaxo whisper in Osborne's ear at Restaurant George with regard to their statement the day after the Budget?

No not really.

Breaking news - the pope is catholic.

To quote one far clever than I (though I don't admit to the translation - I'm not good with French)

The English people believes itself to be free; it is gravely mistaken; it is free only during election of members of parliament; as soon as the members are elected, the people is enslaved; it is nothing. In the brief moment of its freedom, the English people makes such a use of that freedom that it deserves to lose it.

I don't think much has changed since Rousseau wrote that in the 18th century.

Let me assure you, that if i had "access" to David Cameron, a very large stainless steel shovel might be inserted! :lol::unsure:

Could you at least make it a rusty one with a picture of Nick Clegg on it.

Could you at least make it a rusty one with a picture of Nick Clegg on it.

Sorry Old Chap, I never went to a Public School, just a posh Grammar!

The rituals and obligations were different there! :blink:

I must be terribly old fashioned but there is something utterly demeaning about the British Prime Minister and his Chancellor having their a*ses pimped around town to the highest bidder by someone like Cruddas. Cameron and Osborne certainly don't need the money and their party is more or less guaranteed to get the backing of business anyway so why the need to prostitute themselves. I know some sort of influence peddling has always gone on but at least in the past there was some restraint.

This happens from the top to the bottom, it is not new and is how many policies move forward.

When are we going to stop using the term donations when they are clearly just bribes?

This happens day in day out with our local councils . It is well know the way to a councilor is over dinner at a charity event.

Planning permission will suddenly become easier over a charity boxing match / auction or similar.

Very little is determined inside town halls now days as public servants model them selves on fat cat bankers.

No doubt about the fact that this is Murdoch payback. However. the Telegraph clearly think it is bad news for the Conservatives and they certainly dont have an axe to grind like the Murdoch papers or the BBC., You have to wonder about the stupidity of political parties not seeing what might be coming down the tracks and being a bit more discreet about fund raising . Instead they blithely continue turning Ministers of the Crown into tarts who will whip their knickers off for a quick one if the price is right. I do agree that Blair was even more shameless but this is not really an issue with any particular party but more a reflection of the rotten state of British politics as a whole. Everything is for sale. These people have no shame and no class

....the Telegraph owners are into high end London property ...they did not have good news last week.... :rolleyes:

Garbage.

There is a big difference between civil servants being paid by us via taxes to enact policies that were included in election manifesto's or similar, and thus have a democratic mandate, and politicians being paid by a wealthy group of plutocrats to represent their very narrow interests, instead of the general publics.

One is a democracy, the other is a banana republic.

From wikipedia -

"In practice, a banana republic is a country operated as a commercial enterprise for private profit, effected by the collusion between the State and favoured monopolies, whereby the profits derived from private exploitation of public lands is private property, and the debts incurred are public responsibility. "

Good post.

Is this an actual story?

its always been the case big donors expect to meet the party leader, in all 3 parties.

If this a non-story why are you on here commenting on it?

When Lansley's NHS reforms passed last week the Tories, like the masons they are, banged their fists on a table in jubiliation. I bet they banged a few more today, for reasons of a different nature.

Edited by nmarks

Is this an actual story?

its always been the case big donors expect to meet the party leader, in all 3 parties.

No.

It is all part of a game. Every now and again this mundane kind of corruption is revealed, and the politicians and journalists get to play their games,

each pretending to be the most shocked by the corruption, promising some kind of fix, always acting as if corruption was a rare occurrence with just 'a few bad apples',

cheating the system.

The reality is that the entire system is corrupt, it runs on corruption.

No.

It is all part of a game. Every now and again this mundane kind of corruption is revealed, and the politicians and journalists get to play their games,

each pretending to be the most shocked by the corruption, promising some kind of fix, always acting as if corruption was a rare occurrence with just 'a few bad apples',

cheating the system.

The reality is that the entire system is corrupt, it runs on corruption.

It appears absolutely everything in the UK is for sale including the Prime Minister and his Cabinet. It is just a question of price. The prize of course is getting your hands on the taxes and the assets paid for by the rest of us.

On edit - No surprise to see that sleaze bag Francis Maude is trying to justify it all. After all he is the man involved in dishing out all those lovely government contracts. Frank in Shameless has nothing on these people.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Yeah and the civil servants should not do their job for payment either.

Is that the sound of a Tory shifting uncomfortably in their seat?!?

To be fair, they've still got a way to go to match the previous lot. The charade continues unabated.

Edited by PopGun

I hearing that the inquiry the Tories are to hold into the scandal is to be headed by . . . Lord Gold! Can you believe it! :lol::lol::lol:

I hearing that the inquiry the Tories are to hold into the scandal is to be headed by . . . Lord Gold! Can you believe it! :lol::lol::lol:

Ahh, gold.

You have to wonder about the stupidity of political parties not seeing what might be coming down the tracks and being a bit more discreet about fund raising .

They don't see anything wrong with it as it has always happened. The pretense of equal (or no) access for all must be kept up, of course - and you would generally want to avoid getting something that is broadcastable as a nice soundbite on tape rather than letting people read between the lines on the website. That's Cruddas' mistake. Or perhaps he was simply overselling the product.

Nothing will change as a result of this. The corruption will continue as it always has.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

I prefer what we have to what they have in the US, but it does seem very hard on political parties (who, let's face it, are probably unpopular to most even at the best of times).

I think a fair way to do it would be to allow leaders of any party to entertain donors who they feel are worth their time.. but there should be total disclosure so people don't suspect foul play and bribery.

Dinners/events should be recorded and published on you tube or a ministerial website for all to see. Who wouldn't want to be seen drinking Pimms with the PM on you tube?

The down side would be that it would be very easy for people to say stupid comments and get themselves in trouble with the media.. but these bits could be edited out by an independent third party if necessary.. just to avoid unnecessary embarrassment.

It would be equally fair to all parties, help the raise funds and cost nothing to the tax payer.

The beginning of Murdoch's revenge?

The politicians have to be reminded who is boss.

Murdoch already thrown his backing behind the SNP so it looks as if he has the whole Westminster system in his sights

I think this is personal now not just about money and influence, although scandals do help flog papers

BTW the Conservatives have done a very speedy U turn on publishing the names of those invited to Camerons Downing Street flat for Dinner, Only this moring Maude was insisting it was going to be kept private. One must suspect that the papers already have the names. You cant help thinking that they may have a lot of other dirt to dish besides.

Is that the sound of a Tory shifting uncomfortably in their seat?!?

To be fair, they've still got a way to go to match the previous lot. The charade continues unabated.

KingBingo isnt a tory, from everything I have seen he is a corporatist.

This shines a bad light on the wealthy and big business, and if stopped, curtails the power of the aforesaid. Ergo KingoBingo's post in support of the corruption that's being brought to light.

I prefer what we have to what they have in the US, but it does seem very hard on political parties (who, let's face it, are probably unpopular to most even at the best of times).

I think a fair way to do it would be to allow leaders of any party to entertain donors who they feel are worth their time.. but there should be total disclosure so people don't suspect foul play and bribery.

Dinners/events should be recorded and published on you tube or a ministerial website for all to see. Who wouldn't want to be seen drinking Pimms with the PM on you tube?

The down side would be that it would be very easy for people to say stupid comments and get themselves in trouble with the media.. but these bits could be edited out by an independent third party if necessary.. just to avoid unnecessary embarrassment.

It would be equally fair to all parties, help the raise funds and cost nothing to the tax payer.

Very bad idea.

The US system has unlimited donations but is also much more open about who is donating. The much greater disclosure does zero to stop the corruption there. Indeed the amount of law-buying there is significantly more than the UK.

Have not seen much mention or comment on what seems to be the crucial fact that the Sunday Times hacks were quite open about the money coming from or through Liechtenstein which is illegal.

As to what was offered for their money they should have checked the Tory website. A £50,000 bung gets you into "The Leader's Group", with members "invited to join David Cameron and other senior figures at dinners, post-PMQ lunches, drinks receptions, election result events and important campaign launches". In other words, exactly the same privileges as Cruddas told the Sunday Times hacks they'd be getting for five times that amount.

Have not seen much mention or comment on what seems to be the crucial fact that the Sunday Times hacks were quite open about the money coming from or through Liechtenstein which is illegal.

As to what was offered for their money they should have checked the Tory website. A £50,000 bung gets you into "The Leader's Group", with members "invited to join David Cameron and other senior figures at dinners, post-PMQ lunches, drinks receptions, election result events and important campaign launches". In other words, exactly the same privileges as Cruddas told the Sunday Times hacks they'd be getting for five times that amount.

Then that would suggest that the Tories' webpage was not merely soliciting bribes, it was doing so disengenuously!