Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hotairmail

Bertie Ahern 'guilty'

5 posts in this topic

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz1pSUxAppm

I can't post too much. Short article on findings of Mahon enquiry into political corruption.

The longest running corruption inquiry in Irish history found Bertie Ahern, Ireland's former prime minister, failed to "truthfully account" for IR£165,000 (€210,000) in secret payments made to him in the early 1990s.

The report is the fifth and final instalment of a 15-year inquiry into alleged corruption in the property planning process.

The corrupt property/political/banking system was at the heart of the Irish bust. Most will never be found out.

I note that Quinn was in the news this week to for moving his assets out of the reach of the Anglo Irish successor which is chasing him and his family for £2.8bn he owes and defaulted on.

Still a bit of a shock to many that such a nice easy going chap as Ahern who opposite Blair pursued the 'peace process'. Need I say more?

Where the planning process puts the profits of permissions granted into private hands, there will always be corruption.

Edited by hotairmail

Here is some of his wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Ahern#Explanation_for_not_reacting_to_property_bubble

Explanation for not reacting to property bubble

In May 2010, Ahern said of the Irish economic collapse that “We probably should have closed those down a good bit earlier but there were always fierce pressures, there was endless pressures to keep them. There was endless pressures to extend them,” he said. He continued saying the pressure had come from developers, owners of sites, areas that did not have the developments, community councils, politicians and civic society.[76]

The tribunal in quotes:

http://www.thejournal.ie/will-we-fk-the-mahon-tribunal-in-quotes-374774-Mar2012/

My favourite story: Whistleblower James Gogarty told the Tribunal that he had accompanied property developer Michael Bailey in 1989 when the builder had given then-TD Ray Burke an envelope filled with tens of thousands in cash for a planning decision. Afterwards Gogarty had asked Bailey if he would get a receipt for the money. Bailey’s response: "Will we, ******!"

* Irish TD

* Italian PM

* Icelandic PM

Any else they may have missed?

* Irish TD

* Italian PM

* Icelandic PM

Any else they may have missed?

If you're looking for corruption then get the worlds great and the good in a room and kick a football, guess the chance of hitting an innocent. ;)