inflating

Male Baldness - Is This Finally The Way To Prevent Or Reverse It

18 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17457098

Clue to male baldness discoveredBy Helen Briggs

Health editor, BBC News website

A biological clue to male baldness has been discovered, raising the prospect of a treatment to stop or even reverse thinning hair.

In studies of bald men and laboratory mice, US scientists pinpointed a protein that triggers hair loss.

Drugs that target the pathway are already in development, they report in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

The research could lead to a cream to treat baldness.

Most men start to go bald in middle age, with about 80% of men having some hair loss by the age of 70.

The male sex hormone testosterone plays a key role, as do genetic factors. They cause the hair follicles to shrink, eventually becoming so small that they are invisible, leading to the appearance of baldness.

Reverse balding?

Now, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania have analysed which genes are switched on when men start to go bald.

They found levels of a key protein called prostaglandin D synthase are elevated in the cells of hair follicles located in bald patches on the scalp, but not in hairy areas.

Mice bred to have high levels of the protein went completely bald, while transplanted human hairs stopped growing when given the protein.

Prof George Cotsarelis, of the department of dermatology, who led the research, said: "Essentially we showed that prostaglandin protein was elevated in the bald scalp of men and that it inhibited hair growth. So we identified a target for treating male-pattern baldness.

"The next step would be to screen for compounds that affect this receptor and to also find out whether blocking that receptor would reverse balding or just prevent balding - a question that would take a while to figure out."

The inhibition of hair growth is triggered when the protein binds to a receptor on the cells of hair follicles, said Prof Cotsarelis.

Several known drugs that target this pathway have already been identified, he added, including some that are in clinical trials.

The researchers say there is potential for developing a treatment that can be applied to the scalp to prevent baldness and possibly help hair regrow.

I thought this was quite old news, but seems to have a recent date on it.

Meanwhile, any news of progress on returning grey hair back to its natural colour? Hair dyes are tedious and I worry about the chemicals in them. Anyone heard of herbal suggestions such as fo-ti or he shou wu, which are supposed to work for some people? Any good? I know there are said to be side effects http://www.livestrong.com/article/149915-side-effects-of-he-shou-wu/

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the herbal remedy he shou wu (sometimes known as fo ti) is prescribed to enhance general health and increase life span, but its claim to fame is that it also is said to return gray hair to its original color. The direct English translation of he shou wu is "Black-haired Mr. He." In Chinese medicine theory, the kidneys control the growth and color of hair, and he shou wu is said to benefit the liver and kidneys

Kidneys? Hair colour? Are they serious?

Baldness and grey hair is cool, distinguished, handsome, natural. Creams and dyes are for vain twatts. Eat well, sleep well, exercise well, stay handsome and healthy for life.

Baldness and grey hair is cool, distinguished, handsome, natural. Creams and dyes are for vain twatts. Eat well, sleep well, exercise well, stay handsome and healthy for life.

No, I want my hair back! :(

Cultivated Kombucha Tea apparently reverses greyness but will do nothing for slap heads. It's an antioxidant drink that basically clears all the crap out of the body and has many positive health advantages.

The problem with dyeing your hair is that it might look ok at first but once you're past mid forties it starts to look more and more suspect. However if you want a non-dyeing method of darkening, there used to be something called Morgan's Hair Darkening Pomade that I used as a teenager when I wanted black hair, for some long forgotten reason (trying to look like a 1930s film star I think). It worked quite well but you do look a bit of a greaseball with it.

Who cares about being bald? The only people who worry about it are self absorbed imbeciles. Get a life you wassocks!

Like he says in Men Behaving Badly, the reason men go bald is to stop them having any more crap hairstyles.

If it went the other way, and you were born bald but started to go hairy in middle age, I think you would find hair to be strange and annoying and would look for a "cure" for it.

Like he says in Men Behaving Badly, the reason men go bald is to stop them having any more crap hairstyles.

Good way to look at it.

Mine's gone quite quickly. Was always gonna have a bit of bald patch, but I wasn't expecting the thinning at the front which has all happened in less than a year.

Have gone with a number 3 cut for now, but think I need to go lower.

Some people look better without hair. I will not.

I've heard iodine can help with baldness. Perhaps pop into the chemist for Tincture of Iodine and apply it to your bald patch. Its not very expensive and will help top up your general iodine levels. I'm a great believer in iodine, but am sceptical about this:

http://www.iodine-re...ite-iodine.html

It is his theory that fungus and mycoplasma cause hair loss by attacking hair follicles. The iodine stops the fungus from devouring the hair follicle.
Edited by "Steed"

Loads of burds LOVE a bald heed - FACT

Loads of burds LOVE a bald heed - FACT

They make like a shaved head, but a bald one? Hmmm

No1 or No2 , and embrace it .......less faff after having a shower too ...

comb overs are for the insecure

the%20ultimate%20comb%20over%201153.jpgmrcombovers1.jpgarticle-1025610-018ECE8B00000578-313_233x353.jpg

and just make you look like a tool ...keep it short

They make like a shaved head, but a bald one? Hmmm

long as its shaved short - yes - i go for a zero myself