Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
notnow

Show Me A Good Value House On Rightmove

16 posts in this topic

Ok I admit I took the idea from the main forum, but can anyone show a for sale link to a really nice house, lets say up to £300k , (just to keep some semblance of sense) that is really seriously good value, and looks like the sort of place that should have a queue of buyers outside the door.

Shall we say any NR postcode? I have to admit that I have looked, and I've got nothing.

Sorry, I forgot to add that anything likely to be uninsureable against flooding - which is just about to become a major headache for much of the area - does not count.

Sorry, I forgot to add that anything likely to be uninsureable against flooding - which is just about to become a major headache for much of the area - does not count.

Lol.

When I str a few years back I ended up in an upper flat of a property where the ground floor flat had never flooded.

I knew that as a fact, but the area around it was all designated flood plain so I ended up paying a premium.

For my upper floor flat to flood out would have taken about the worst flood since records began (and then some)

We needed the specific location so we ran with it.

You need to do your homework my friend.

Check out the Environment website

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/default.aspx

As for the NR postcode, need way more of a postal area than that, It;s like saying your brother lives in London and we should know him by sight and name.

Can you elaborate on what is “good value” for you?

Personally, I always felt that 2001 price + 20% would be a fair value. My reason is that 2001 was post dot-com-bubble + 911, when all central banks started printing money and thing got really crazy. HPI was about 40 - 50% from 2001 to 2003.

So 2001 was the last time the majority of people had to buy with 25% deposit, 3 times income at 7% mortgage. In other words, 2001 was the last time property price was still somewhat linked to income. After that it was linked to the sheer magnitude of stupidity and ignorance.

If I buy a house at 2001 + 20% , I would be happy.

Sorry, forgot to explain that 20% represented the wage inflation over ten years.

Ok I admit I took the idea from the main forum, but can anyone show a for sale link to a really nice house, lets say up to £300k , (just to keep some semblance of sense) that is really seriously good value, and looks like the sort of place that should have a queue of buyers outside the door.

Shall we say any NR postcode? I have to admit that I have looked, and I've got nothing.

Well I keep tabs on NR1 to NR7 and I haven't seen anything that represents good value so far. I did spot a house with an asking price £65k but that comes with a tenant who has a protected tenancy.

Can you elaborate on what is “good value” for you?

Personally, I always felt that 2001 price + 20% would be a fair value. My reason is that 2001 was post dot-com-bubble + 911, when all central banks started printing money and thing got really crazy. HPI was about 40 - 50% from 2001 to 2003.

So 2001 was the last time the majority of people had to buy with 25% deposit, 3 times income at 7% mortgage. In other words, 2001 was the last time property price was still somewhat linked to income. After that it was linked to the sheer magnitude of stupidity and ignorance.

Hi Peter 2008, Good value? For me it comes down to genuinely wondering why on earth a house has not sold. It does not have to be rediculously cheap,

My point, perhaps clumsily made , is that pre 2007 there always were houses that you could pick out as ones you should go and see. Attractively priced and well presented. That was all that was expected. When you found it, you bought it.

Now, all those houses are competing for half as many purchasers as pre 2007 , yet none of them really strike me as good value. I am interested in your 2001 + 20% approach. I also tend to use data on the land registry , in particular the House price index. Many houses are selling at 2004 prices. I am waiting for a straight 2003 index figure, and then I might see "value".

I see the bottom end 1bed flats are now dropping asking prices, instead of £65k offers above a couple have gone £55k offers above, another 40% in a couple of years time and we will be there?

OK in terms of price this is more up with the original post concept and really not my sort of place but .....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33706618.html

I dont know the area or the house but good value? I would have to say that this probably is. It beats so many two bed no garage 1950s dumps for the same price hands down. Unless there is a catch of course.