Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
inflating

Tenants Rated On Websites - As Featured On Radio 4

3 posts in this topic

As featured on R4 "You and Yours"

Sites are now online allowing tenants to be checked based on a landlord's reference.
R4 asked "How do you know what a landlord says about a tenant is true?"

"An infringement of tenants' privacy", said one guest on the show.

Landlordrefrencing.co.uk
TenantID.co.uk

How come this is allowed but tenants don't have a website to check what landlords are like?
Oh that's right, tenants are just nobodies

I'd be happy to pay a fiver to check out my landlord before entering into a tennancy agreement. I'd then be happy to post a rating about him onto the website.
Anyone starting a website like this could eventually turn it into a nice little earner.

[quote name='inflating' timestamp='1332159743' post='3289524']
As featured on R4 "You and Yours"

Sites are now online allowing tenants to be checked based on a landlord's reference.
R4 asked "How do you know what a landlord says about a tenant is true?"

"An infringement of tenants' privacy", said one guest on the show.

Landlordrefrencing.co.uk
TenantID.co.uk

How come this is allowed but tenants don't have a website to check what landlords are like?
Oh that's right, tenants are just nobodies
[/quote]

Because nobody has set one up.

Tenant referencing sites have been built because there have been so many problems with bad tenants and it is very costly for landlords to gain back posession of their properties and put them back to a good condition.

When tenants have bad experiences with landlords, they move somewhere else and this does not usually end up going to court or costing a lot of money.

It makes sense that a landlord that is usually somebody that ends up with a huge bill from a bad tenant would find this kind of website useful.

Perhaps if I had a bad experience renting, then I might look at naming and shaming a landlord etc.

This is all down to landlords not doing any due dilligence before tenanting their properties though. If they used credit checking and referencing companies to check tenants, then they would not run the risk of finding a bad tenant. Or at least heavily reduce the risk.