House Price Crash Forum

24Hour Party Shopping To Save The Economy

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/9150948/George-Osborne-to-announce-changes-to-Sunday-shopping-hours.html

George Osborne is to announce a nationwide suspension of Sunday trading laws as part of a “pro-enterprise” Budget aimed at powering Britain’s economic recovery.

The Chancellor’s speech on Wednesday will outline moves to lift restrictions on Sunday opening hours for two months this summer, with plans for a permanent relaxation if the policy is considered a success.

The Budget is also expected to signal the end of the 50p income tax rate and unveil a clutch of other business-friendly moves, including new loans for young entrepreneurs and a further cut in corporation tax.

The emphasis on boosting enterprise was detailed as Liam Fox, the former defence secretary, called for the Budget to be used to launch an attack on what he said was a “corrosive anti-business culture” in a Sunday Telegraph article. He called for an end to the 50p rate.

The eight-week suspension of Sunday trading restrictions, which will begin on July 22 and is designed to coincide with the Olympics, threatens to put the Chancellor on a collision course with trade unions, small businesses, the Church and other family-friendly groups who have campaigned to “keep Sunday special”.

Go consumer economy, if we open shops more our consumer economy will boom. It's obvious really if you open longer you'll get more shoppers....

It's ideas like this that will save the economy.

We don't need to be engineers and build say Thorium reactors and generate cheap electricity to reduce business costs, too much like hard work. What we need is more shopping time.

Luckily you can't shop 24/7 on the internet....

HOLA442

Erm a little bird tells me shops are looking to perhaps to reduce hours due to falling demand. Shock horror. Unless the government forces all shops to open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If there is no demand, the free market will decide.

Anyway I can shop on the internet 24-7.

HOLA443

I don't think people will spend more because the shops are open longer will they?

Alternatively we could:

Radically simplify tax to reduce avoidance schemes

Get out of the EU to lower the costs of day to day living (tariffs on food etc)

Reform planning laws to allow more houses to be built (and make housing cheaper)

Simplify benefits so they only go to the needy not families on £50k per year.

Lift those on less than £15k out of tax altogether.

Drill for shale gas to reduce household bills and energy costs for industry.

Relax regulations on childcare to make it cheaper for parents to go out and work.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I quite like shops and cafes etc to be open whenever but if he thinks this new "initiative" is going to get things booming again ("powering Britain's recovery" :rolleyes:) he's in wishful thinking. Shops and cafes are closing earlier and earlier apparently due to lack of demand.

Even cafes in 24 hour supermarkets are closing ever earlier. You would think that with all the shoppers milling around in the 24 hour outlets there would be some 24 hour demand for the cafes- but apparently not.

Edited by billybong

HOLA447

Erm a little bird tells me shops are looking to perhaps to reduce hours due to falling demand. Shock horror. Unless the government forces all shops to open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If there is no demand, the free market will decide.

Anyway I can shop on the internet 24-7.

Oh, I'm looking forward to it....I work in retail, and I can't wait to serve someone at 8pm on a Sunday night to replace their broken Kettle...brilliant...

HOLA448
HOLA449

I don't think people will spend more because the shops are open longer will they?

Alternatively we could:

Radically simplify tax to reduce avoidance schemes

Get out of the EU to lower the costs of day to day living (tariffs on food etc)

Reform planning laws to allow more houses to be built (and make housing cheaper)

Simplify benefits so they only go to the needy not families on £50k per year.

Lift those on less than £15k out of tax altogether.

Drill for shale gas to reduce household bills and energy costs for industry.

Relax regulations on childcare to make it cheaper for parents to go out and work.

What's your manifesto on education?

All very sensible hence why it'll never be mainstream. If we are to survive the economic war then we ought to dig for coal. Is it really beyond the wit of man to clean up coal power stations much the same way as we do for cars... energy security is key to our future success.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Nobody has any money. As people have pointed out shopping is available 24/7 anyway. Just as well as many won't be able to 'go' to the shops.

Wasn't it over-consumption that got us into this mess? People need a break from the hubbub of life to focus on the important things in life - people and loved ones.

No doubt they'll be putting beer and petrol up to dampen the spirits.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I think we all know this is a crowd pleaser.

Most people don't really understand the economy, a lot of people probably don't even care.

Just tell them that their local Tesco will be open all-day Sundays for crisps and fizzy pop and they're happy as pigs in the proverbial. Tell them that it's good for the economy and, well, that's just a bonus!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest Control

Between this, ditching the 50p tax rate (or not) and road tolls the coalition and Osborne in particular are looking a big frayed round the edges,

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

My personal opinion is that it pisses me off immensly that i can't go to my local supermarket at sunday night to do my shopping. Having shops close early on sundays is so backwards.

Likewise. I'm at work or travelling to/from work 8-7 monday to friday, leaving 2 days to do most of my shopping in. If i have more choice about when i can do my shopping, i'm all for it. Now how about more weekend delivery options too..

HOLA4422

Sainsburys do seem to have actually trimmed back opening hours and Morrisons aren't that extensive in any case.

Two main 24hr operators are Tesco & Asda. Go in both quite regularly in the small hours and customer numbers seem down a lot.

However, there is very little real increase in overheads to stay open if the nightshift are in replenishing - which the certainly will be in any store much over 20,000sqft. The big costs like lighting and refrigeration will still be there regardless of whether the front door is unlocked or not.

HOLA4423

The tinfoil hat checklist continues.

I was looking for a waterbutt yesterday and no where had them in stock, I was running out of time coming up to 4pm, but I was also running out of patience, I doubt I would have carried on driving around - I believe shops are trimming down stock anyway to maintain cashflow. I tried Homebase and B&Q and the Range which were all on the way home from dropping mother off at the trainstation.

Now I am using an old spare plastic bin which doesn't have massive capacity, that I have anyway as a waterbutt for now.

Edited by MrTReturns

HOLA4424

The tinfoil hat checklist continues.

I was looking for a waterbutt yesterday and no where had them in stock, I was running out of time coming up to 4pm, but I was also running out of patience, I doubt I would have carried on driving around - I believe shops are trimming down stock anyway to maintain cashflow. I tried Homebase and B&Q and the Range which were all on the way home from dropping mother off at the trainstation.

Now I am using an old spare plastic bin which doesn't have massive capacity, that I have anyway as a waterbutt for now.

Your local council might well have offers for cheap watering butts.

HOLA4425