Photo
- - - - -

Cctv At Petrol Stations Will Automatically Stop Uninsured Cars Being Filled With Fuel

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#106 wonderpup

wonderpup

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

What i'm saying is - almost everyone I know is trackable 24/7 even though they could make themselves untrackable at the push of a button.

I think most people don't feel the same as you about whether someone knows where they are. In most cases carrying a mobile phone and the presence of a CCTV camera makes them feel safer (and indeed actually makes them safer, if e.g. the CCTV camera deters crime).

Therefore, I think most people who actually buy their insurance will not see this latest idea as an invasion of privacy or a loss of freedom.

Your hypothetical "endgame" face camera actually is just an automatic version of people watching the current CCTV footage. However, I find it less easy to imagine a popular and enforceable ban against wearing sunglasses or wrapping up against the cold.

Would you consent to every child born in the future being fitted with a tracking device-implanted near a vital structure that would make it's removal dangerous if not impossible.

If not- why not?

#107 Ash4781

Ash4781

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,377 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

The response might be backstreet unofficial petrol stations where people fill up and then the fuel is siphoned off. Every so often someone gets engulfed in a fireball. I remember when the fuel shortage people started storing petrol in their house! I spoke to a forecourt operator who said that they have to watch very carefully at fillup as people try to fill up all sorts of containers!

#108 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

I'm amazed petrol station didn't do this before. Presumably purely because they didn't have access to the data. Data which should be publicly available anyway.

I've sure they will have an over-ride button for petrol cans and car dealer where they pay up front.
It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

#109 WorkingForTheMan

WorkingForTheMan

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

this is one of the best threads i've ever read on here. for many reasons..the tide may be turning! :lol:

#110 FedupTeddiBear

FedupTeddiBear

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Although it would be great if something was done about uninsured drivers, this is unlikely to work.
It is too easy to find ways around this.
If it goes ahead, be prepared to have your tank siphoned / drilled regularly; to have your numberplate copied (and possibly be accused of a hit and run incident somewhere) and for an increase in the number of abandoned cars - probably left in front of petrol pumps so no-one else can access the pump.

#111 Hywel Dda

Hywel Dda

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

#112 mfs1959

mfs1959

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Indeed.

There are areas of the country where apparently over 10% of the cars on the road are uninsured. It can't be that hard to find them, if you were really interested in looking.

There are postcode districts in Bradford where reportedly over 50% of cars are uninsured.

#113 eight

eight

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Would you consent to every child born in the future being fitted with a tracking device-implanted near a vital structure that would make it's removal dangerous if not impossible.

If not- why not?

If only poor little Maddie had one of those!
There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking, you are winning.

#114 PopGun

PopGun

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

When you take out insurance, it can take a week to appear on the database. Fun and games there, i think.

You'd also have to allow for input/system errors etc.

Just like with all that ID card nonsense, anyone who's worked with large volumes of personal data would be very worried about initiatives such as this.
"the remarkable result is that under Mrs Thatcher from 1979-90, just as under Tony Blair from 1997-2007, the real value of Housing Equity Withdrawal is larger than the real value of GDP growth"

#115 AThirdWay

AThirdWay

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

If we asked people who have been already affected by uninsured drivers would they want more prison spaces made available?

We'd also need to ask them to fund the extra prisons, and those that can't get a job after being in prison for a traffic offence, and the damage caused by those offenders who drive like madmen to escape a 10 year sentence.....

#116 AThirdWay

AThirdWay

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

If only poor little Maddie had one of those!

A lead lined car boot would suffice. Not that I've thought about these things off course..... :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users