House Price Crash Forum

Cctv At Petrol Stations Will Automatically Stop Uninsured Cars Being Filled With Fuel

cashinmattress

HOLA441

So - nothing fundamentally wrong with spying on people 24x7 then?

Are you honestly naive enough to think that a nationwide video surveillance network hooked up to a database in real time is required (with the enormous financial cost and resulting loss of privacy justified) to catch motor insurance dodgers?

As long as the "spying" is done in public places like garage forecourts, and not in private homes, then no that's not a problem to me. It's not fundamentally wrong for a policeman to stand on a garage forecourt and write my licence number in a notebook, and it's not fundamentally wrong for CCTV camera to record my car being there either.

The garages already have CCTV of their own accord. I don't see why it would be an "enormous financial cost" to connect it to the licence-tracking software. If it forces more people to buy insurance, the government will soon get the money back via taxes on policies and on extra insurance company profits.

Soon- with facial recognition- every camera in the country will be linked to a facial database that will track your location in real time all the time and we will skip to the endgame where any kind of headwear that obscures the face will be banned.

Anyone who carries a switched-on mobile phone is already trackable 24/7.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Have you tried switching off your face?

What i'm saying is - almost everyone I know is trackable 24/7 even though they could make themselves untrackable at the push of a button.

I think most people don't feel the same as you about whether someone knows where they are. In most cases carrying a mobile phone and the presence of a CCTV camera makes them feel safer (and indeed actually makes them safer, if e.g. the CCTV camera deters crime).

Therefore, I think most people who actually buy their insurance will not see this latest idea as an invasion of privacy or a loss of freedom.

Your hypothetical "endgame" face camera actually is just an automatic version of people watching the current CCTV footage. However, I find it less easy to imagine a popular and enforceable ban against wearing sunglasses or wrapping up against the cold.

HOLA444

Your hypothetical "endgame" face camera actually is just an automatic version of people watching the current CCTV footage. However, I find it less easy to imagine a popular and enforceable ban against wearing sunglasses or wrapping up against the cold.

Hardly an "end game" when it is, more or less, already here: link

HOLA445
What i'm saying is - almost everyone I know is trackable 24/7 even though they could make themselves untrackable at the push of a button.

I think most people don't feel the same as you about whether someone knows where they are. In most cases carrying a mobile phone and the presence of a CCTV camera makes them feel safer (and indeed actually makes them safer, if e.g. the CCTV camera deters crime).

Therefore, I think most people who actually buy their insurance will not see this latest idea as an invasion of privacy or a loss of freedom.

Would you consent to every child born in the future being fitted with a tracking device-implanted near a vital structure that would make it's removal dangerous if not impossible.

If not- why not?

HOLA446

The response might be backstreet unofficial petrol stations where people fill up and then the fuel is siphoned off. Every so often someone gets engulfed in a fireball. I remember when the fuel shortage people started storing petrol in their house! I spoke to a forecourt operator who said that they have to watch very carefully at fillup as people try to fill up all sorts of containers!

HOLA447

I'm amazed petrol station didn't do this before. Presumably purely because they didn't have access to the data. Data which should be publicly available anyway.

I've sure they will have an over-ride button for petrol cans and car dealer where they pay up front.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Although it would be great if something was done about uninsured drivers, this is unlikely to work.

It is too easy to find ways around this.

If it goes ahead, be prepared to have your tank siphoned / drilled regularly; to have your numberplate copied (and possibly be accused of a hit and run incident somewhere) and for an increase in the number of abandoned cars - probably left in front of petrol pumps so no-one else can access the pump.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Indeed.

There are areas of the country where apparently over 10% of the cars on the road are uninsured. It can't be that hard to find them, if you were really interested in looking.

There are postcode districts in Bradford where reportedly over 50% of cars are uninsured.

HOLA4412
Guest eight

Would you consent to every child born in the future being fitted with a tracking device-implanted near a vital structure that would make it's removal dangerous if not impossible.

If not- why not?

If only poor little Maddie had one of those!

HOLA4413

When you take out insurance, it can take a week to appear on the database. Fun and games there, i think.

You'd also have to allow for input/system errors etc.

Just like with all that ID card nonsense, anyone who's worked with large volumes of personal data would be very worried about initiatives such as this.

HOLA4414

If we asked people who have been already affected by uninsured drivers would they want more prison spaces made available?

We'd also need to ask them to fund the extra prisons, and those that can't get a job after being in prison for a traffic offence, and the damage caused by those offenders who drive like madmen to escape a 10 year sentence.....

HOLA4415

Archived