porca misèria

Buying!

34 posts in this topic

I just put in an offer. The agent thinks it'll be accepted (and it's in the agent's interest, 'cos there's another agent competing for the commission).

Nice stone-built cottage, though in need of some work. Lovely quiet location with no road access and noone passing (except the immediate neighbours in this cluster of six cottages). Lovely south-facing garden going down the hill.

And comfortably below budget, below its own last-sold price (Jan 2004), and well below Zoopla's estimated price for it.

Motivation: mainly that I'm p***ed off with the rental market. And by putting up a 40% deposit I can get mortgage payments down to one third of my current rent, and on a nicer place!

:D

Good for you, are you sure that the place isn't a money pit?

How about the neighbours, any dangerous weirdos among them?

Any old coal mines below ground?

[quote name='awake_eagle' timestamp='1331053430' post='3278609']

[/quote]

seagulls...bears, wild cats...you just be careful out there.

[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

True HPC spirit!

[quote name='porca misèria' timestamp='1331052829' post='3278592']
I just put in an offer. The agent thinks it'll be accepted (and it's in the agent's interest, 'cos there's another agent competing for the commission).

Nice stone-built cottage, though in need of some work. Lovely quiet location with no road access and noone passing (except the immediate neighbours in this cluster of six cottages). Lovely south-facing garden going down the hill.

And comfortably below budget, below its own last-sold price (Jan 2004), and well below Zoopla's estimated price for it.

Motivation: mainly that I'm p***ed off with the rental market. And by putting up a 40% deposit I can get mortgage payments down to one third of my current rent, and on a nicer place!

[/quote]

great well done, sounds a good buy, if you can get at pre 2004 prices, it is a no brainer if you are paying a third of your rent too,

[/quote]
He's been drinking roundup

[quote name='Durch' timestamp='1331058784' post='3278721']
Could be a tasty bunker, or the coal could be a survival lifeline come peak oil. (Plus there might be gold in them thar mines!)
[/quote]

Ideal for storing and launching your "superhero" Watchman style flying vehicle. Edited by "Steed"

[/quote]
:huh: I expect to spend a few quid bringing it up to scratch. But I expect ongoing costs to be met comfortably from the rent I'm no longer paying. :D
[quote]
[/quote]
Hmmm .... not the most likely location for anything more sinister than a HPCer.
[quote]
[/quote]
No coal around here. If there were mine workings they'd be something different. ;)

[/quote]

Good Internet connection...check.

Less can be more. ;)

[quote name='winkie' timestamp='1331060293' post='3278736']
Good Internet connection...check.

Less can be more. ;)
[/quote]
Thanks, but already checked that one. BT's ADSL checker gives me a very similar estimate to the current place. So even if they've erred the wrong way it's not a total disaster.

And south-facing roof, where I could in principle put up a satellite-internet dish. Though I want to use the space for solar panels.

[/quote]
Stick to the paths....and er er, Zoopla pricing is not reliable. Watch out for more 'n more interest rate hikes over the next 3-4years.

[/quote]

I wouldn't, but good luck all the same :).

[quote name='Bruce Banner' timestamp='1331062390' post='3278772']
I wouldn't, but good luck all the same :).
[/quote]

+1

You miserable swine, wish you lots of happiness

Congratulations OP B)

Hopefully I will be in a similar position one day.

[quote name='Sine270' timestamp='1331059802' post='3278732']
And dont forget that maintenence costs will more than takeup the difference between rent and mortgage payment ;)
[/quote]

Do you have any figures regarding this? I can't think of many homeowners who and pay a large amount regulary for repairs on their homes.

[quote name='Marcus Aurelius' timestamp='1331068524' post='3278911']
Congratulations OP B)

Hopefully I will be in a similar position one day.

Do you have any figures regarding this? I can't think of many homeowners who and pay a large amount regulary for repairs on their homes.
[/quote]

they dont, just people trying to put the OP off,

[quote name='James Toney' timestamp='1331071562' post='3278962']
they dont, just people trying to put the OP off,
[/quote]
They will initially ... I'll be budgeting about £20k for moving-in spend. Though that does include the solar panels.

I'm torn between

[img]http://jordanhoffman.com/wp-content/uploads/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-78.jpg[/img]

and

[img]http://www.cakesontop.com/images/gallery/good-luck.jpg[/img]

Oh, ok then you swine, well done, and enjoy your new home!

[quote name='porca misèria' timestamp='1331077291' post='3279072']
They will initially ... I'll be budgeting about £20k for moving-in spend. Though that does include the solar panels.
[/quote]

Is your post tongue-in-cheek or are you genuinely planning to buy solar panels?

I guess it depends on house location and the direction the roof faces, but are solar panels a good investment?

[quote name='Marcus Aurelius' timestamp='1331281845' post='3280904']
Is your post tongue-in-cheek or are you genuinely planning to buy solar panels?

I guess it depends on house location and the direction the roof faces, but are solar panels a good investment?
[/quote]
It's genuine. South-facing roof, house is on a south-facing slope. And Devon is second only to Cornwall for solar energy within the UK.

My friends who installed solar panels in December had their electricity meter turning backwards in the five or six weeks before the meter got replaced by a modern one that could deal with local generation. If that's the story in the middle of winter, they'll be raking it in as daylight hours increase!

[quote name='porca misèria' timestamp='1331299219' post='3281169']
It's genuine. South-facing roof, house is on a south-facing slope. [b] And Devon is second only to Cornwall[/b] for solar energy within the UK.

My friends who installed solar panels in December had their electricity meter turning backwards in the five or six weeks before the meter got replaced by a modern one that could deal with local generation. If that's the story in the middle of winter, they'll be raking it in as daylight hours increase!
[/quote]

As in many things :P

OK, so not buying until/unless £other-buyer pulls out.

A shame, 'cos this was a nice place at a much better price than I had anticipated paying. But it's become bidding-war territory, and I'd rather someone else gets a bargain than that we bid it up to where noone does. :(

Edit to add piccie taken from halfway down the front garden.
[img]http://media.rightmove.co.uk/9k/8723/21756135/8723_527836320_IMG_00_0002_max_620x414.jpg[/img] Edited by porca misèria