HOLA441
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Making a knee jerk, glib link between modern teaching methods and maths is about as far as most of the conservative people go. They like to associate themselves with sciencey things because their upbringing taught them that the arts were dirty and posh things like science inflate their egos.

Show them a Seurat and they glaze over.

Good post demonstrating the asymmetric nature of the argument! It seems progressive, detached and unreal when turned on its head.

Do you know anybody who spurned art in favour of science because science is posher?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Good post demonstrating the asymmetric nature of the argument! It seems progressive, detached and unreal when turned on its head.

Do you know anybody who spurned art in favour of science because science is posher?

Utterly symmetric. Each statement made as much sense as the other, that is to say sod all.

At first I thought I'd like to hear, first, your long list of those who spurned science in favour or art. Then I realised what a complete waste of both our times that would be, what with the discussion being pointless and all.

Anyone who has taught either music or science or, preferably, both understands the interaction. I've used the one to teach the other and vice versa.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I actually think the average level of mathematical ability has been rising for several decades, but the syllabus has been dumbed down to make this possible. The result is that almost no-one leaving the education system has a level of maths suitable to be a scientist or engineer anymore and this is hurting the indigenous population as UK employers just recruit people who were educated to a sufficient standard overseas. Visit any university engineering department or high end engineering firm - there are very few UK nationals......

HOLA449

I actually think the average level of mathematical ability has been rising for several decades, but the syllabus has been dumbed down to make this possible. The result is that almost no-one leaving the education system has a level of maths suitable to be a scientist or engineer anymore and this is hurting the indigenous population as UK employers just recruit people who were educated to a sufficient standard overseas. Visit any university engineering department or high end engineering firm - there are very few UK nationals......

Not a recent thing, I did double maths at state school for A-level in the 80s, i.e. one A level in pure maths (algebra) and one in Applied maths (mechanics). Got grade A in both. Went up to University (a science) and found that I was in no way prepared for 1st year, all the private school pupils had done loads of maths stuff I had never even heard of.

HOLA4410

When decimal currency was introduced it was said by a lot of those who were supposed to know that children would end up far better at maths, because they wouldn't have to waste so much time on complicated money sums with £, S and D.

Let alone all that mental arithmetic with qs. like two dozen items at fourpence three-farthings.

Er...

HOLA4411

Not a recent thing, I did double maths at state school for A-level in the 80s, i.e. one A level in pure maths (algebra) and one in Applied maths (mechanics). Got grade A in both. Went up to University (a science) and found that I was in no way prepared for 1st year, all the private school pupils had done loads of maths stuff I had never even heard of.

My son just did A levels including Maths at a state A level college and is now doing Engineering at a Russell group Uni.

He is virtually the only state educated kid there

And he is head and shoulders above the privately educated kids who are now struggling after being spoon fed and nannied through their A levels.

How times change

:blink:

HOLA4412

My son just did A levels including Maths at a state A level college and is now doing Engineering at a Russell group Uni.

He is virtually the only state educated kid there

And he is head and shoulders above the privately educated kids who are now struggling after being spoon fed and nannied through their A levels.

How times change

:blink:

I wish him all the best Game Over and am pleased is is doing a worthwhile course, not something now one wants.

Edited by awaytogo