Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newbonic

1 Week To Delete Your Google Browsing History (New Rules After That)

36 posts in this topic

According to the DM at 3 simple steps to delete your browsing history article, new privacy policies at Google come into effect after March 1 2012 than means it stores your search and browsing history forever, and in detail. And that you've implied your consent to it doing just that by not opting out.

If you sign in and delete your past search history now then they can't store it, and anything after Mar 1 becomes anonymised. I was surprised how detailed my search record was and how far back it went, so I blasted it.

Should be a must for the TFH crew in these parts :P.

my google web history appears to not be enabled in the first place - does thi smean I do not need to bother further, do people think??

More details please?

Is this just if you log into your google account or have a google toolbar?

Are there plans for the govt to start storing our stuff too?

I've done it, as can't do any harm, but I think "they" have enough info with or without google.

Put it this way, 10 years ago I wanted to track down my mum, and asked my Private Dick friend for a favour. I had no date of birth, an address that was 20 years old, and she'd changed her name. He rang me 10 mins later and said "Found her, here's where she lives, here's where she works, you wanna know what she spent on her store cards this month?"

Resistence is futile!

They've got a search history? How's that done unless you log in to Google (and what's the point of doing that, except that it's been insidiously tied to things like YouTube?) Should be OK; I get assigned a dynamic IP anyway so it's not as if the nosey sods can record me reliably using that.

I've got a couple of accounts with them - interestingly, some were recording my search, others were not.

Have to check again on the 28th - wouldn't surprise me if google is sneaky and reactivates them all again.

I can see this ending in a massive legal court case against google. With class action lawsuits in the US and the EU cracking down on big US tech companies I am surprised they are doing it. Obviously, FB is worrying them.

I'm lost, what if I've used multiple computers?

I guess its dependent on the number of google accounts you have,

I don't think Google works by computer, but by account.

I never sign in to Google unless I need to for my email address for my android phone and then I always make sure I sign out immediately.

Is that sufficient?

my google web history appears to not be enabled in the first place - does thi smean I do not need to bother further, do people think??

Same here, I just followed the steps but I get the option to turn history on.

Same here, I just followed the steps but I get the option to turn history on.

And same here. Not switching it on, what's to gain?

I like the way the internet's gone. Some of these services (especially google) are really useful.

But I do worry about them holding too much stuff and trying to connect things together (this seems even easier to do with smartphones).

I have email (personal and company) with Yahoo, I use facebook (very lightly) and do most other things with Google, which is great, but when you open a contact and it seems to have linked to these things together it gives me an uneasy feeling.

No problem with some of my data being out there and no problem with yahoo/google doing a quick automated search of my emails to try and sell me stuff.

But I do not like the idea of them storing anything written in my emails (even though it's boring) or linking it to facebook, forums etc (still boring, but no-one's business).

As for my browsing history <cough>. Nothing illegal or wrong, but I really wouldn't want it stored anywhere!

Yes, most of this is a money making thing, so unless they can remotely enable your webcam or something, they have no idea who is using the computer and it would be kinda pointless. I think it only applies if you have a google account.

I'm lost, what if I've used multiple computers?

It depends if you're signed in.

I looked at my search history on my main desktop PC and it showed stuff I'd searched for on my laptop.

I'm signed in to Google on both machines.

I think in the furture there's big money to be made in new identities. Completely wipes your history, gives you a new name, credit rating from new etc. Complete reset.

Edited by MrTReturns

My top tips for avoiding Google are:

1) Delete your Google browsing history as described above

2) Delete all Google accounts, including gmail, G+ etc

3) Delete all Cookies

4) Use an analytics blocking tool such as Ghostery ( works well with Firefox, Opera or IE) or look at in private browsing. Block all Google analytics.

5) Stop using the Google search engine, ideally go to one of the anonymous proxies that can use various engines

6) Get yourself a VPN (Cyberghost is great for having different localities but costs, or look at Tor which is free) so who can hide your location and change your IP address.

I do all of the above, not because I have anything to hide, but because I strongly believe firms should be able to use our information without explicit consent. I am perfectly happy to deal with my chosen online retailers (Amazon, Ebuyer, Ocado, Suttons Seeds, Nisbets, Japan Centre, John Lewis etc) and my finacial service providers (Lloyds, TD Waterhouse, Halifax, Zopa etc) and some of the free service I use (Zoopla, Rightmove etc), but what I object to is Google being able to link all that together through their analytics.

So I just block Google - in fact next step is to block google on the home router as I also want to keep my family away from Google.

I bet you do have something to hide, Herr Liebenstein!

I don't, so I have a web-cam in my bog! :lol:

Google seem to think that they are too big to fail and that having the best search engine and browser will ensure their success. Maybe they are right, maybe the Facebook generation is happy about having everything about them analysed, cross referenced and available to anyone with the will and the money to ask. Or maybe Google should have learnt more the history of their own industry, such as Netscape Navigator, Northern Light and so on?

Time will tell, but speaking for this user, and his wife, we are clearing histories, deleting accounts and installing new browsers and search engines over the next week. We dont like junk mail and we dont like the concept, as so eloquently put by MrPin, of the browsing equivalent of installing webcams in our bog and bedroom.

I`ve never had a Google "account" ie I don`t sign in to anything

Am I ok?

I am giving Starting Page a try though

I just upgraded to the latest Chrome beta and it's giving me a message on the new tab page "Not signed in to Chrome (you're missing out _Sign In)".

Google are on a mission to collect as much data as possible.

Google seem to think that they are too big to fail and that having the best search engine and browser will ensure their success. Maybe they are right, maybe the Facebook generation is happy about having everything about them analysed, cross referenced and available to anyone with the will and the money to ask. Or maybe Google should have learnt more the history of their own industry, such as Netscape Navigator, Northern Light and so on?

Time will tell, but speaking for this user, and his wife, we are clearing histories, deleting accounts and installing new browsers and search engines over the next week. We dont like junk mail and we dont like the concept, as so eloquently put by MrPin, of the browsing equivalent of installing webcams in our bog and bedroom.

The Facebook generation, which includes my children, are unconcerned about privacy issues and firmly believe that if you've nothing to hide.... etc etc, which is alien to my generation who keep their affairs private and avoid the thin end of any wedge.

I`ve never had a Google "account" ie I don`t sign in to anything

Am I ok?

I am giving Starting Page a try though

You may want to go to Google Ad preferences and see if you have a Cookie:http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/

They may have details linking all your browsing together and some infered demographic info. As I block google analytics, they have no data on me.