interestrateripoff

More Motorists Face Workplace Parking Charges

47 posts in this topic

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9101441/More-motorists-face-workplace-parking-charges.html"]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9101441/More-motorists-face-workplace-parking-charges.html[/url]

[quote]Thousands of drivers face being charged a pound a day to park at their offices and factories as a second major city draws up plans for a workplace parking levy.

Bristol is set to join Nottingham in imposing a pay as you park tax, with councillors ready to consider proposals in the spring.

Details of the plans emerged as hostility to the Nottingham scheme increased, with the GMB and Unite unions voting to hold a strike ballot over plans by one major employer, Imperial Tobacco, to pass the cost of the levy onto staff.

Bristol City Council wants to use the levy to raise millions of pounds to fund bus only lanes, separated from other traffic, to cut congestion. [/quote]

Looks like councils are coming up with new ideas to fund themselves. Another tax to help the productivity of the country. Still it all adds up in GDP...

[quote]Bristol City Council wants to use the levy to raise millions of pounds to fund bus only lanes, separated from other traffic, to [s]cut[/s][b] create [/b]congestion.[/quote]

I've seen this locally with schemes that effectively impair flow and reduce capacity for the odd bus, whilst public transport prices increased. Much of this done to create an certain impression in order to impose a congestion charge in Manchester (unfortunately they allowed a vote).

I don't know how many junction improvements demonstrate planning departments inability to think things through - the 'what will happen if we change this' question; how can we mitigate this.

Motorists are an inelastic market, thus this abuse goes on.

Soon be reaching the point when some won't be able to afford to get to work......especially in places where public transport is poor....what does it cost to buy, insure, tax, and maintain a car that is before you have put fuel in the tank and paid workplace parking costs......over £1000 insurance pa for a young driver not unusual....Oh dear.....yet again things don't add up trying to make a living in this country. ;)

[quote name='winkie' timestamp='1330093908' post='3269776']
Soon be reaching the point when some won't be able to afford to get to work......especially in places where public transport is poor....what does it cost to buy, insure, tax, and maintain a car that is before you have put fuel in the tank and paid workplace parking costs......over £1000 insurance pa for a young driver not unusual....Oh dear.....yet again things don't add up trying to make a living in this country. ;)
[/quote]
I've stopped driving. I cycle, walk, take the bus or the train in that order. All the expenses of a car and add on the stealth taxes of parking and speeding. My calculation is that having a car must benefit you by 5k plus, otherwise don't.

Stuff like this [b]http://www.parkshare.net/[/b] might get very popular

Looks like a good way of keeping cash in the pockets of the people – and away from the authorities. Or better still, simply bartering for parking services!

[quote name='Imminent_plunge' timestamp='1330094819' post='3269790']
I've stopped driving. I cycle, walk, take the bus or the train in that order. All the expenses of a car and add on the stealth taxes of parking and speeding. My calculation is that having a car must benefit you by 5k plus, otherwise don't.
[/quote]

I was car-free for a long time. Loved it. A weight off my mind and a burden off my pocket. Sadly, I've gone and bought another one since so I'm back sitting in (and, I guess, causing) traffic jams rather than dozing on trains and buses. The other problem about car ownership is that once you've paid the capital cost, it's tempting to use it all the time - even for short trips. Hence I've barely ridden my bike since I bought the car - I put on three stone in as many months!

I don't think parking tax is a bad thing. Currently it's about the only BIK that's not taxed but is bloody valuable. While I object to most taxes, I prefer these ones that are largely voluntary.

[quote name='southmartin' timestamp='1330095477' post='3269799']
Stuff like this [b]http://www.parkshare.net/[/b] might get very popular

Looks like a good way of keeping cash in the pockets of the people – and away from the authorities. Or better still, simply bartering for parking services!
[/quote]

Good idea.....when I was working in an area with restricted parking, often close to rail stations, funny that...used to park in front of someone I knew drive...they had left for work before I arrived, I had left for home before they arrived home...win.win. ;)

[quote name='winkie' timestamp='1330098269' post='3269835']
Good idea.....when I was working in an area with restricted parking, often close to rail stations, funny that...used to park in front of someone I knew drive...they had left for work before I arrived, I had left for home before they arrived home...win.win. ;)
[/quote]

What happened on the occasions when they came home early, or left late? Thats bound to happen sooner or later.

Of if they move and dont tell you?

[quote name='interestrateripoff' timestamp='1330072804' post='3269490']
Looks like councils are coming up with new ideas to fund themselves. Another tax to help the productivity of the country. Still it all adds up in GDP...
[/quote]

It's getting pretty silly and anger-inducing (and this is a fairly minor example). I would really like to question these people to find out whether they are really unaware of the impact that this slow drip-drip of additional costs must inevitably have.

[quote name='leicestersq' timestamp='1330098623' post='3269840']
What happened on the occasions when they came home early, or left late? Thats bound to happen sooner or later.

Of if they move and dont tell you?
[/quote]

....they text, I move....and see to it they get a pot of homemade jam from time to time. ;)

My wife used to work the night shift at a large hospital, and she always had to pay for her parking, at night. There was no public transport alternative to take her the 6 miles or so to work. There was little outrage from the unions over it.

[quote name='tomandlu' timestamp='1330099009' post='3269847']
It's getting pretty silly and anger-inducing (and this is a fairly minor example). I would really like to question these people to find out whether they are really unaware of the impact that this slow drip-drip of additional costs must inevitably have.
[/quote]

Oh do stop moaning. Do you realise how much the prime city-center real-estate taken up by your car is worth?

They're taxing parking, which is avoidable, not air.....

"Free" parking is actually an enormous government subsisdy. The homes or businesses that could be there instead of enormous car parks would be taxed, so why not the car parks?

[quote name='gadget' timestamp='1330100086' post='3269860']
Oh do stop moaning. Do you realise how much the prime city-center real-estate taken up by your car is worth?

"Free" parking is actually an enormous government subsisdy. The homes or businesses that could be there instead of enormous car parks would be taxed, so why not the car parks?
[/quote]
Yeah, cos more taxes are better than less taxes

[quote name='M'lud' timestamp='1330100488' post='3269866']
Yeah, cos more taxes are better than less taxes
[/quote]

Yes, it is true. Taxes on smoking for example, have discouraged people from smoking and extended the lives of many people. Likewise a tax on parking will encourage people to live closer to where they work, and to walk and cycle, making them fitter and healthier.

On the other side of the equation, tax pays for things like schools and roads and hospitals, which we are all glad of.

[/quote]

As I said, a minor example (my particular bug-bears are the 'traps' that councils build - cameras pointing at badly laid out 'bus-only' junctions and so on). But I think you're missing the point - to describe it as a subsidy on the basis of the value of something that doesn't exist seems odd, but lets assume they replace all the car-parks with offices which people can't then make use of since there's nowhere to park - how does that work?

Aside from that the point I'm making which you don't seem to get is that you can keep on extracting money from people, but that's then money they can't spend elsewhere. So... you've just charged people on the basis of something that doesn't exist, thus removing money that would have been spent on goods bought from a shop - i.e. an existing business.

Do you work for a council by any chance?

My concern is that people will park on the roads outside work and walk. I can see loads of cars parked on main trunk roads. and the works car park empty.

[quote name='leicestersq' timestamp='1330101024' post='3269875']
Yes, it is true. Taxes on smoking for example, have discouraged people from smoking and extended the lives of many people. Likewise a tax on parking will encourage people to live closer to where they work, and to walk and cycle, making them fitter and healthier.

On the other side of the equation, tax pays for things like schools and roads and hospitals, which we are all glad of.
[/quote]
Utter tosh
HOw will a tax on parking encourage people to live closeer to work? Not many people can chose where to work and chose where to live

I'm not saying all taxes per se are wrong, - like you say schools & hospitals, but taxing something just because you can leads to the empire building that councils are infamous for. They're doing this because they are skint, if they ever balance their books, you think they'll end this tax? No, they'll just find something else to spunk the money away on.

and Why do people need to be taxed so as to behave to extend their lives - it is their choice

more taxes are not a good thing - think about it

[/quote]

Not this again.

I presume the car parks are not taxed because no income is levied from them, just as a business which accrues no net income is not subject to corporation tax.. I'm not sure that's a great controversy.

Motorists pay a Vehicle excise duty for the privelidge of being able to put their car on public highways, it is not fair to say that the use of a public highway for parking is 'an enourmous subsidy'.

At the end of the day, if you fancy making it more difficult for people to get to a job, don't be surprised when the jobs go elsewhere. Government ought to be making it as easy as possible for people to get to jobs instead of putting obstacles in the way.

[quote name='M'lud' timestamp='1330102570' post='3269911']
Utter tosh
HOw will a tax on parking encourage people to live closeer to work? Not many people can chose where to work and chose where to live

I'm not saying all taxes per se are wrong, - like you say schools & hospitals, but taxing something just because you can leads to the empire building that councils are infamous for. They're doing this because they are skint, if they ever balance their books, you think they'll end this tax? No, they'll just find something else to spunk the money away on.

and Why do people need to be taxed so as to behave to extend their lives - it is their choice

[b]more taxes are not a good thing - think about it[/b]
[/quote]

Unfortunately, for some, tax revenue is ALWAYS a bit too low.

[/quote]

It's part of the employment infrastructure.
You'll be taxing the toilets next.

[quote name='LetsGetReadyToTumble' timestamp='1330105088' post='3269937']
[/quote]

They do, 20 pence for a pee in Devizes :blink:

[quote name='LetsGetReadyToTumble' timestamp='1330105088' post='3269937']
[/quote]

Having a crap at work is a taxable benefit! :o

Having worked in Bristol, I used to take the bus or walk it. It is congested. I honestly wouldn't like to have to drive into Bristol for work.

I disagree with this new proposal however!

[quote name='cheeznbreed' timestamp='1330103004' post='3269916']
I presume the car parks are not taxed because no income is levied from them, just as a business which accrues no net income is not subject to corporation tax.. I'm not sure that's a great controversy.
[/quote]

I wasn't talking about income or corporation tax.

I was talking about council tax and business rates. Paid regardless of income.

You can argue about taxes being too high or too low but as to whether x or y should be taxed i think driving is a better thing to be taxed than most.

It has big external costs. Even to other drivers (congestion). Possibbly even more than smoking i'd say (where the costs are mostly born by the smoker) Now driving is already taxed pretty heavily so maybe this extra £1 a day tips it over the edge i dunno. But to say it's an outrage that parking is going to be taxed... :rolleyes: