House Price Crash Forum

Top Twenty Places To Emigrate For Young People

HOLA441

Why does it talk about emigrating and property investment? Are young people looking to emigrate because all the best properties to flip in the UK have already been flipped, and we need to foister our techniques onto unwitting societies?

Yeah I also got tired of reading how each city offered a great rental yield opportunity... just what young people emigrating want...

Written by a BTL boomer no doubt.

HOLA442

MY VIEW on whether or not good places to live:

warsaw - CRAP

phonhm penh - CRAP

bangkok - CRAP

prague - CRAP

monetivdeo - CRAP

mexico city - CRAP

hamburg - GOOD

manila - CRAP

dubai - UTTER CRAP

auckland - EARTHQUAKES & TOO REMOTE FROM ANY WESTERN CULTURE

buenois aaires - LOVELY

lima - CRAP

shanghai - GREAT FOR A FEW YEARS

bogota - CRAP

vienna - AH, VIENNA!

panama city - CRAP

sydney - BUBBLE + FULL OF AUSSIES

jakarta - CRAP

berlin - NICE

malta - CRAP

Got to disagree - I love Montevideo but can't stand Buenos Aires. Disagree on Prague too, but agree entirely on Warsaw (nasty) and Berlin.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

But the bad thing is that to get a job you need qualifications not experience.

If you have 15 years programming but no degree- don't even think about it - if what my in laws say is true.

Someone I know moved out to Bogota not so long ago, not bright at all and no degree, however he invested a substantial some of $ over there setting up a security company. Before that he lived in Afghanistan for five years permanently as a security consultant.

Me and the wife have considered moving overseas and dismissed opportunities in oz, geneva and Norway - all with real jobs to go to. Fact of the matter is for us the best place to be is as far away from all the other high achievers, and right now home (UK) appears to tick all the boxes. There are skills shortages here and the situation is getting worse with all the super sheep fleeing to sunnier climbs and IMO the people who frequent this site have a higher than average IQ and some (not all) might be cutting their noses off to spite their face moving somewhere unfamiliar and culturally different.

Edit: to put UK in #1 spot of places to emigrate :D:D:D

Edited by 30k

HOLA447

I don't get why people are saying Berlin is such a great place to emigrate to.

Yeah it's a kinda hip/happening place, so nice if you want to stay for a short while travelling etc., but unemployment is really high (>12%, not much less than... Hull :) ) and it's got massive social problems in certain areas, so it's really not a good place to emigrate to for the longer term.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Reading with interest. Feeling really stifled here in the UK at the moment and do feel like I gotta get out soon.

Mrs ska_mna has Oz Visa, so could go there tomorrow. But damn it, the Oz bubble is horrendous too. C'mon, burst already aussie bubble and I'm there!

Failing that, Germany perhaps.

EDIT: I'm a coastal-lovin chap, total water sport addict. Anyone got any recommendations?

Yeah, start with a MiniMal, probably about 8"2' should do.

Move to Oz anyway; immigration laws are the most frequently amended after tax laws, you can't guarantee that visa will remain extant forever.

And then when you arrive sit back and enjoy reliving 2008 all over again.

HOLA4412

Me and the wife have considered moving overseas and dismissed opportunities in oz, geneva and Norway - all with real jobs to go to. Fact of the matter is for us the best place to be is as far away from all the other high achievers, and right now home (UK) appears to tick all the boxes. There are skills shortages here and the situation is getting worse with all the super sheep fleeing to sunnier climbs and IMO the people who frequent this site have a higher than average IQ and some (not all) might be cutting their noses off to spite their face moving somewhere unfamiliar and culturally different.

Well, speaking as someone who started my working day with a one hour surfing session and is now in the office earning my highest day rate ever, it doesn't feel like I'm having a probiscotomy to annoy my visage.

And as for high achievers being here in Sydney; ha! You should read my blog to set yourself straight on that one. The smart Australians are over in London.

HOLA4413

Bogota, Colombia

So, the writer can't spell and thinks the sh*ggability of the locals is an important factor.

If you are a red blooded male with a healthy libido, it is important. Living amongst attractive people is most desirable. Wander round most English towns, you're surrounded by the chavlike, the corpulent, the unwashed, the loud, the unkempt, the tatooed, the nose ringed. We aren't exactly classy are we.

HOLA4414

This list is a terrible bit of research, probably put together by a temp before her lunch break. I don’t think anyone collects accurate statistics on where English people emigrate (no one asked me where I was going).

It would be nice to see an international league table of good-job-vacancies vs. quality-of-live (with scroll bars allowing you to weigh factors like weather, safety, etc.). Most of this data should be out there on the internet already.

Berlin is a very nice open city....so why then is their property so affordable,why do people there prefer to rent?

Berlin is a special case. It is only cheap because of the commies, and is naturally getting less so over time.

If you want a good job in Germany, go to NRW or München.

Also, region comparisons are more useful than individual cities.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Well, speaking as someone who started my working day with a one hour surfing session and is now in the office earning my highest day rate ever, it doesn't feel like I'm having a probiscotomy to annoy my visage.

And as for high achievers being here in Sydney; ha! You should read my blog to set yourself straight on that one. The smart Australians are over in London.

Had a look at your blog thanks, very entertaining :)

Glad it's worked out for you although i'm sure you'll agree for every success there are countless others making the return trip home. My wife's not doing too badly in the UK so obviously I am not bitter about my lot. If I was younger and poorer then I wouldn't hesitate jumping ship, my one regret is that I turned down a £400 a day contracting job for a bank in Germany (I'd be lucky enough to get that a week here now), fully expensed apartment and flights home back in 2001 and joined the forces instead.

Edited by 30k

HOLA4419

Is that just a holiday experience or do you live there?

What's Sihankouville like?

Its Business come r & r round Cambodia and Vietnam, i dont live there but have been in country around 6 months over the past 4 years.

WikiTravel gives the most reliable view as opposed to the bulls#itting Lonely Planet. The write up states that the beaches can be dirty though this relates to disgarded litter from western tourists, the locals sweep the beaches twice a day cleaning up after said western tourists.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Sihanoukville

If you want any more specific info, PM me, happy to help.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421