House Price Crash Forum

Top Twenty Places To Emigrate For Young People

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Interesting list. There should be at least one caribbean country in there.

Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago (oil/gas-rich) and Barbados are all worth a look if you can handle the culture change. These countries will be needing a lot of know-how, skills and qualifications in the years ahead that young Brits can offer (education, public service, healthcare, oil industry).

HOLA444

Why does it talk about emigrating and property investment? Are young people looking to emigrate because all the best properties to flip in the UK have already been flipped, and we need to foister our techniques onto unwitting societies?

Berlin is a very nice open city....so why then is their property so affordable,why do people there prefer to rent?

....is it because they did not allow a bubble to develop, therefore the people that matter the young, educated and resourceful can afford to stay living in their own country and create future growth and prosperity......you can hardly blame young people from deserting high price property bubble London to seek their fortune elsewhere now can you? ;)

HOLA445

Reading with interest. Feeling really stifled here in the UK at the moment and do feel like I gotta get out soon.

Mrs ska_mna has Oz Visa, so could go there tomorrow. But damn it, the Oz bubble is horrendous too. C'mon, burst already aussie bubble and I'm there!

Failing that, Germany perhaps.

EDIT: I'm a coastal-lovin chap, total water sport addict. Anyone got any recommendations?

Edited by ska_mna

HOLA446

Bogota, Colombia

Forget Colombia's reputation for crime and drug-barons. These days it has an improving security situation, huge potential for tourism and economic growth, and Bogota is a vibrant city far from the country's less stable parts. Add to this the attractiveness of the indiginous population and low property prices and you're onto a winner.

So, the writer can't spell and thinks the sh*ggability of the locals is an important factor.

Is this article from Nuts magazine or a broadsheet newspaper? It's hard to tell....

HOLA447

Berlin is a very nice open city....so why then is their property so affordable,why do people there prefer to rent?

....is it because they did not allow a bubble to develop, therefore the people that matter the young, educated and resourceful can afford to stay living in their own country and create future growth and prosperity......you can hardly blame young people from deserting high price property bubble London to seek their fortune elsewhere now can you? ;)

Apartment prices rising a lot in Germany but existing home prices falling:

http://www.hypoport.de/hpx-hedonic.html

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertypicturegalleries/9087305/Top-twenty-places-to-emigrate-for-young-people.html?image=18

warsaw,phonhm penh,bangkok,prague,monetivdeo,mexico city,hamburg,manila,dubai,auckland,buenois aaires,lima,shanghai,bogota,vienna,panama city,sydney,jakarta,berlin,malta.

whoever put warsaw in there might want to explain why most polish kids are coming here...land of milk and honey etc

Jakarta? Manila? Put down the sodding crackpipe....Bland, boring, polluted, one big traffic jam and no subway or public transport. I'd pay money not to live in Jakarta. The Philippines has beautiful islands and beaches - true, but you won't see much of that in Manila. Choke on the fumes, get deafened by the endless blaring on the car horn.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

MY VIEW on whether or not good places to live:

warsaw - CRAP

phonhm penh - CRAP

bangkok - CRAP

prague - CRAP

monetivdeo - CRAP

mexico city - CRAP

hamburg - GOOD

manila - CRAP

dubai - UTTER CRAP

auckland - EARTHQUAKES & TOO REMOTE FROM ANY WESTERN CULTURE

buenois aaires - LOVELY

lima - CRAP

shanghai - GREAT FOR A FEW YEARS

bogota - CRAP

vienna - AH, VIENNA!

panama city - CRAP

sydney - BUBBLE + FULL OF AUSSIES

jakarta - CRAP

berlin - NICE

malta - CRAP

HOLA4415

warsaw - CRAP

phonhm penh - CRAP

bangkok - CRAP

prague - CRAP

monetivdeo - CRAP

mexico city - CRAP

hamburg - GOOD

manila - CRAP

dubai - UTTER CRAP

buenois aaires - LOVELY

lima - CRAP

bogota - CRAP

vienna - AH, VIENNA!

panama city - CRAP

jakarta - CRAP

berlin - NICE

malta - CRAP

What have you against Prague? I found it to be a lovely place with fairly cheap places away from the obvious tourist traps. They eat cake for breakfast there. What more could you want????

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

warsaw - CRAP

phonhm penh - CRAP

bangkok - CRAP

prague - CRAP

monetivdeo - CRAP

mexico city - CRAP

hamburg - GOOD

manila - CRAP

dubai - UTTER CRAP

buenois aaires - LOVELY

lima - CRAP

bogota - CRAP

vienna - AH, VIENNA!

panama city - CRAP

jakarta - CRAP

berlin - NICE

malta - CRAP

You are obviously well travelled and have lived in all these places to be able to rate them.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The chavs mainly seem to concentrate themselves around the seedy bars near Wenceslas Square; there are a lot more places to see and things to do elsewhere in Prague.

Agreed. Prague has things going for it, avoiding the stag-nighty parts.

Panama is rather nice as well - good for hiking, snorkelling and tranquility - in areas not too far from the capital city.

I think everywhere that is hyped up as good is going to be expensive already. The key is to find a place to emigrate to that has potential to grow for the next 20 years, and that offers a lifestyle that may make up for the culture change.

HOLA4421

You are obviously well travelled and have lived in all these places to be able to rate them.

Actually I agree with him on pretty much all except phonhm penh which would be ok for a few years though not indefinitely.

Prague's pretty but lifestyle wise I'd rather Budapest.

If I was emigrating now it would be to Argentina or Chile if they weren't so far away and Spain or Portugal since they are nearer ( but I don't need to work much which might be a factor given their recessions). If was younger I'd be learning Turkish and emigrating to Istanbul

HOLA4422

Agreed. Prague has things going for it, avoiding the stag-nighty parts.

Panama is rather nice as well - good for hiking, snorkelling and tranquility - in areas not too far from the capital city.

I think everywhere that is hyped up as good is going to be expensive already. The key is to find a place to emigrate to that has potential to grow for the next 20 years, and that offers a lifestyle that may make up for the culture change.

Can I point that Bogota has much lower violent crime than many cities in the US. And the scenery nearby is amazing.

It also has a very nice climate. It is changes between 5 and 22 C so you can avoid spending on air conditioning or heating!!!

(My wife is from Colombia but sadly not Bogota).

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA4423

Can I point that Bogota has much lower violent crime than many cities in the US. And the scenery nearby is amazing.

It also has a very nice climate. It is changes between 5 and 22 C so you can avoid spending on air conditioning or heating!!!

(My wife is from Colombia but sadly not Bogota).

But the bad thing is that to get a job you need qualifications not experience.

If you have 15 years programming but no degree- don't even think about it - if what my in laws say is true.

HOLA4424

But the bad thing is that to get a job you need qualifications not experience.

If you have 15 years programming but no degree- don't even think about it - if what my in laws say is true.

Yes, in many foreign countries, it is qualifications that are valued (especially UK university qualifications!) rather than experience.

I've noticed this too.

HOLA4425