House Price Crash Forum

Fair Price

vman7

HOLA441

is mayfield ok or is it worse than aylesbury

some nice semi-d's up which seem fairly reasonable

I know the area fairly well, I lived in Newtownabbey as a child. I have heard mixed reports to be honest.

Glengormley in general has went downhill over the years and can be hit or miss. The Hightown & Maysfield area would be viewed as a mainly Nationalist area, with the other side of Glengormley taking in Carnmoney/Mossley/Ballyduff etc being mostly Loyalist. It is by no means a bullet dodging, sandbags at the front door type of area but I have heard reports that Maysfield has alot of investment properties housing ppl on Housing Benefit from surrounding Nationalist areas of Belfast. Make up your own mind as to whether that is an issue for you.

I try to stick to the motto that if you are looking for trouble you will get it no matter where you live.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Jordanstown/Newtownabbey seems to be in a property bubble time warp.

Don't know how the EAs are staying in business

For example:

http://www.propertypal.com/9-jordanstown-road-jordanstown-newtownabbey/173157

I've seen other properties on for over 2 years at inflated peak prices that have yet to be reduced.

Good luck with the search,

Some think BT9, BT10 and BT7 are in La La land but for me it's BT36 and BT37

HOLA444
HOLA445

Jordanstown/Newtownabbey seems to be in a property bubble time warp.

Don't know how the EAs are staying in business

For example:

http://www.propertypal.com/9-jordanstown-road-jordanstown-newtownabbey/173157

I've seen other properties on for over 2 years at inflated peak prices that have yet to be reduced.

Good luck with the search,

Some think BT9, BT10 and BT7 are in La La land but for me it's BT36 and BT37

thats cloud cuckoo land.. over half a million!! Just crazy.

You`d get a nice des res in Cultra/Holywood for that sort of money.

HOLA446

would like to hear peoples views on this property. I took a drive round last night and the area seemed ok (im from portadown so anywhere will seem ok lol) and doesnt look like a builders site like most other devleopments i have seen.

http://www.propertynews.com/Property/Newtownabbey/PTNPTN2032/4-Blackrock-Lane-Newtownabbey/

the rateable value is £140k but is there any point in me even getting a viewing of the place if i am asking for 40k (minimum) off? these are farily new looking so i am guessing the current dwellers probably bought at the peak and may not consider selling any lower.

I know people are going to come back to me and say you can just ask but i am more interested to hear peoples opinion on the house and how overpriced it may be etc

I also want to know if anyone has any experience or stories about blackrock devleopment?

I am a FTB so any advise would be grateful

HOLA447

would like to hear peoples views on this property. I took a drive round last night and the area seemed ok (im from portadown so anywhere will seem ok lol) and doesnt look like a builders site like most other devleopments i have seen.

http://www.propertynews.com/Property/Newtownabbey/PTNPTN2032/4-Blackrock-Lane-Newtownabbey/

the rateable value is £140k but is there any point in me even getting a viewing of the place if i am asking for 40k (minimum) off? these are farily new looking so i am guessing the current dwellers probably bought at the peak and may not consider selling any lower.

I know people are going to come back to me and say you can just ask but i am more interested to hear peoples opinion on the house and how overpriced it may be etc

I also want to know if anyone has any experience or stories about blackrock devleopment?

I am a FTB so any advise would be grateful

I also took a drive past that property Vman as it is a beautiful house, only recently built as you say. We decided not to view (I have a couple of kids so it may not be the right upsize for us) and the main reasons for not viewing were first up, I thought the driveway was a litle cramped with two cars in it (maybe a bit pernickity I know) but secondly, and more importantly with kids, it faces onto a road that I have seen drivers speed on around 50-60 mph. The road is not fenced off in any form from the development and on a recent trip up there I asked the dev was there any plans to do so and he said they weren't given permission so I take from that it will never go up. Thought it was a little risky having kids - but that won't apply to everyone...

On your price/area query, can only repeat what I said a few posts back that I haven't heard anything negative about B'rock; I think the house prices up there are very very expensive and also it does feel a little remote to me but again that wouldn't bother everyone and there is a bus link into town.

I wouldn't fancy your chances of getting 40K off at all but would love to know if you did ;)

Have you not thought about looking at some of the older type houses for sale instead of new builds?

HOLA448

thanks for that Bergy. its good to hear omeone elses perspective as you have picked up on things i do not think about such as cramped driveway etc

I dont have kids but we hope to in the next couple of years so will have to take this into consideration.

I am tempted to call them tomorrow morning to gauge how low (if any) the owner will go and i will post.

I havent looked at the older type houses i cant see anything that i would be interetsed in. most of the older ones need fireplaces updated, kitchen ripped out, dorrs etc. for the kind of money people are looking i wouldnt expect to fork all that out ontop of the mortgage

HOLA449

thanks for that Bergy. its good to hear omeone elses perspective as you have picked up on things i do not think about such as cramped driveway etc

I dont have kids but we hope to in the next couple of years so will have to take this into consideration.

I am tempted to call them tomorrow morning to gauge how low (if any) the owner will go and i will post.

I havent looked at the older type houses i cant see anything that i would be interetsed in. most of the older ones need fireplaces updated, kitchen ripped out, dorrs etc. for the kind of money people are looking i wouldnt expect to fork all that out ontop of the mortgage

No problem at all, its a really nice house, in fact putting my concerns to one side, it's one of the nicer ones on the market in that asking price bracket in BT36 at the moment.

HOLA4410

ideally i wanted a 4 bedroom, 2 reception detached but you may add another 50k + to the price of this hosue to get anything decent! I never realised Newtownabbey would be so expensive

You seem to get much more house for your money in Lisburn which i find strange as i thought Lisburn would be much, much more expensive than newtownabbey. May have to start looking towards that end of belfast but the only issue i find there is the traffic in the morning is horrendous

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4412

This one may be of interest to those looking in the Newtownabbey area.

A repossession and it's come on at £4k above ratable value. A lot cheaper than similar properties on the market via private sales - around £175k.

Moreover, the developers price of £150k for 3 bed shoeboxes look even more ridiculous when you look at this one - though it seems they are selling quite a few up there regardless....

We need a few more of these to come on around BT36, BT15 & BT14 as it's currently still la la land in this area.

http://www.propertypal.com/8-aylesbury-park-newtownabbey/192537/insight

HOLA4413

We are now renting and didn't intend to buy for a bit longer in the hope prices would continue to fall. We have been persuaded onto the market again by a house which is at asking price of £175 - over 3000sq ft, rateable value 105K but set before extensive renovations were completed. We offered 148K which was rejected, then 160K last week, which was also rejected. Today I got a call to say there is another offer of £161K. Is there any way to verify this offer? Any advice much appreciated...

Where they renovations or extensions? Renovations are worth nothing to the rateable value, you are just performing needed maintenance all at once to maintain the value, extensions might increase it but only because planning is valuable. Personally I prefer outside space to inside space, or at least a reasonable balance, I don't want 3 walls attached to my neighbours. Any extension over £20K is a massive one.

Edited by Ride_on