satch

London's Homeless Could Be Forced To Move As Far As Hull

125 posts in this topic

A shortage of private accommodation in London could mean homeless people are moved as far away as Hull, where rents are cheaper, housing charities are warning "The fact that councils may be considering making use of these powers to offer people homes away from their local areas – potentially having to uproot families from schools, communities and jobs – is testament to the scale of our housing crisis," Campbell Robb, the chief executive of Shelter, said.

One Comment ; This 'initiative' is barbaric - It's creating social division, exclusion and a refugee crisis. A neoliberal nightmare.

No mention of private renters having to move with two months notice even if they have paid their rent on time to their BTL guardian reading LL.

[quote name='satch' timestamp='1329601783' post='3265243']
A shortage of private accommodation in London could mean homeless people are moved as far away as Hull, where rents are cheaper, housing charities are warning "The fact that councils may be considering making use of these powers to offer people homes away from their local areas – potentially having to uproot families from schools, communities and jobs – is testament to the scale of our housing crisis," Campbell Robb, the chief executive of Shelter, said.

One Comment ; This 'initiative' is barbaric - It's creating social division, exclusion and a refugee crisis. A neoliberal nightmare.

No mention of private renters having to move with two months notice even if they have paid their rent on time to their BTL guardian reading LL.
[/quote]

Sounds to me like the housing charities are warning that the homeless will soon have accomodation? :blink:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb/18/london-homeless-forced-move-hull

Forced, I mean forced to live in Hull! :blink:

[quote name='"Steed"' timestamp='1329602142' post='3265248']
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb/18/london-homeless-forced-move-hull

Forced, I mean forced to live in Hull! :blink:
[/quote]

i wouldnt wish that on anyone.

theyre already homeless, what a way to kick them when theyre down.

I have sympathy for anyone being uprooted from the place and community they know, of course but unfortunately that's the situation every private renter faces (although admittedly not usually as great a distance). In the past, I've avoided getting involved with the local community because frankly I've had no idea if I'd still be living there six months later. A cohesive Big Society this does not make. This is particularly true of London where even a mile or so can take you out of the catchment of a particular community or service.

There is an element of social cleansing about this initiative which is a bit unappealing though. Hull is other people, eh? Edited by StainlessSteelCat

OK Hull isn't for everyone, but if you can't pay your way, tough cookies. Sorry, that sounds harsh, but it's life. get ovrr it!!

There are places far worse than Hull to be dealing with .....

[quote name='StainlessSteelCat' timestamp='1329603859' post='3265259']

There is an element of social cleansing about this initiative which is a bit unappealing though. Hull is other people, eh?
[/quote]

There is indeed. I cut my monthly outgoings down from £1600 a month, to less than £600 a month by moving to a "declining Northern town." (not Hull). I've been social cleansed!

I shall certainly be filing a case at ECHR, demanding a council flat in Westminster next week!

[quote name='satch' timestamp='1329601783' post='3265243']

[/quote]

It is an interesting argument. I have many friends who have moved south to get jobs in London. None of them have been able to move to central London as they simply cannot afford it, instead they have to commute at least an hour in what I can only describe as quite hideous conditions, on that hole in the ground some call the underground.

Whilst personally I would not like to move to Hull but that is not an argument for keeping people in accomodation that they themselves cannot afford. I know to the fine readers of the Guardian civilisation ends somewhere in the the mists of zone 3 but we need to move into the real world. Either rents have to fall or the workless have to move - in the same way as workers - into housing that they can afford....

[quote name='lulu' timestamp='1329604537' post='3265263']

Whilst personally I would not like to move to Hull but that is not an argument for keeping people in accomodation that they themselves cannot afford. I know to the fine readers of the Guardian civilisation ends somewhere in the the mists of zone 3 but we need to move into the real world. Either rents have to fall or the workless have to move - in the same way as workers - into housing that they can afford....
[/quote]

Agreed and Hull benefits by becoming more vibrant. London benefits from being less overcrowded.

why stop at hull ...go all the way over the border ...then when salmond pulls the plug ...its not the Englishes problem anymore ?

make up for all those scottish mps fostered on us ...kirkcaldy ..perhaps

I think they have already sent people on the housing waiting list to my area, Southend on Sea in Essex. We are swamped with foreign nationals, not just E Euros and Poles but virtually every nationality seems to be here and you'll see for yourself if you visit the town and walk along London Road between the town centre, Cricketers pub and Palace Theatre.

Large swathes of my town now closely resembles London and not sure it's for the better, I don't like to feel I'm abroad unless I actually am, it's unnerving to hear so many different languages and not understand most of them. Many of them seem unable to speak any English at all and stare blankly at you in shops if you say excuse me or after you etc, also many young children here speaking their native languages suggesting they are very much newcomers to the UK

London is spilling out into the provinces and I am not happy about it

Despite that, my money-grubbing slimy landlord has not found a new tenant to replace me - only 1 viewer in 5 weeks - no one's [i]that[/i] desperate :D

[quote name='inflating' timestamp='1329606593' post='3265276']
I think they have already sent people on the housing waiting list to my area, Southend on Sea in Essex. We are swamped with foreign nationals, not just E Euros and Poles but virtually every nationality seems to be here and you'll see for yourself if you visit the town and walk along London Road between the town centre, Cricketers pub and Palace Theatre.

[/quote]

We've had it up here too. However they seem to disappear. I guess they use Yorkshire as a staging point, to get into Mancs or Lancashire, crossing over the border by night, trekking over the Pennines. I guess not many make it.

[quote name='"Steed"' timestamp='1329607085' post='3265279']
We've had it up here too. However they seem to disappear. I guess they use Yorkshire as a staging point, to get into Mancs or Lancashire, crossing over the border by night, trekking over the Pennines. I guess not many make it.
[/quote]

Funny you should say that, for a while here there were few and I had thought they'd all gone home as some insist, but then suddenly (last few weeks in particular) hundreds and hundreds, like being at some chav airport departure hall everywhere you go - French, Polish, E Euros, African, Vietnamese possibly, Chinese, you name it basically, like being in the less savoury reception areas of London

Really puzzling but maybe it is a staging post here as you suggest.

[quote name='inflating' timestamp='1329608394' post='3265286']
Funny you should say that, for a while here there were few and I had thought they'd all gone home as some insist, but then suddenly (last few weeks in particular) hundreds and hundreds, like being at some chav airport departure hall everywhere you go - French, Polish, E Euros, African, Vietnamese possibly, Chinese, you name it basically, like being in the less savoury reception areas of London

Really puzzling but maybe it is a staging post here as you suggest.
[/quote]

And there is the major reason for crazy house prices in the UK. Uncontrolled immigration.

[quote name='leicestersq' timestamp='1329610437' post='3265298']
And there is the major reason for crazy house prices in the UK. Uncontrolled immigration.
[/quote]

No, the major reason is central planning of housing.

[quote name='"Steed"' timestamp='1329607085' post='3265279']
[/quote]

:D

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOhZAsz3sk"]'Bless You Beautiful Hull !...'[/url]

(Seven Benefiters for Seven BTL'ers) Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

They should send every asylum seeker to north wales. Build a load of houses in all that empty space for them.

Will quickly filter out the people really fleeing persecution.

[quote name='leicestersq' timestamp='1329610437' post='3265298']
[/quote]

But the crash in prices was not directly following a large scale exodus of people from the UK. Why, it's almost as if your statement is false.

[quote name='inflating' timestamp='1329606593' post='3265276']

Large swathes of my town now closely resembles London and not sure it's for the better, I don't like to feel I'm abroad unless I actually am, it's unnerving to hear so many different languages and not understand most of them. Many of them seem unable to speak any English at all and stare blankly at you in shops if you say excuse me or after you etc, also many young children here speaking their native languages suggesting they are very much newcomers to the UK

London is spilling out into the provinces and I am not happy about it

Despite that, my money-grubbing slimy landlord has not found a new tenant to replace me - only 1 viewer in 5 weeks - no one's [i]that[/i] desperate :D
[/quote]

But...but... Southend on Sea has the sea, a great fun fair on the promenade which my children have enjoyed in the past, better air and weather than London, very little work so no worry about the local job centre being meanies and requiring those who would rather not bother to actually go and earn something. I'd rather live in Southend on Sea than London if I was poor, with little or no resources. At least it isn't a bad place to live.

Not too sure about Hull though. I found it a depressing place when I visited. I think Bridlington or Scarborough would be nicer places to live than Hull.

What the most advanced states in the world do is build complexes far from their main cities. Then help those people with mental problems and such who cannot manage their own lives. But also have them far enough way that those people cannot wander into their main cities.

[quote name='aa3' timestamp='1329635811' post='3265339']
What the most advanced states in the world do is build complexes far from their main cities. Then help those people with mental problems and such who cannot manage their own lives. But also have them far enough way that those people cannot wander into their main cities.
[/quote]

Agreed, but some time ago the bus companies started running the 400 and X1 into London and the nutters met their counterparts in the city and brought them to Essex which has just further swollen their numbers, some of them became councillors and took charge of the so-called road improvements such as Victoria Gateway and the shared car-pedestrian space where every day someone enjoys nearly dying under a bus which cuts across away from the road without warning