prosto_zabrevi

Free Online Mit Course In Circuits And Electronics

46 posts in this topic

I think it would be beyond me, but if they are going to start offering other courses this is going to get very interesting.

Will the lectures start to carry ads? This could start to generate them a nice income stream.

Have enough courses and you might as well stay on the dole in the UK and take courses like this.

Cheers,

Mrs Imp did the recent Artificial Intelligence course from Stanford which someone mentioned on here. She only did GCSE maths 15 years ago, and she found it really challenging but got through it and enjoyed it (I think). Possibly a sign of her stubbornness. I've just signed up to this MIT course. If it is anything like the AI course, it will be good.

I notice the recommended textbook is authored by the guy doing the course.

Does this have any real value beyond the self-satisfaction of doing this course rather than a crossword for a reasonably educated person with spare time?

Probably a future business opportunity in offering local third-party invigilation services for the exams of various onine courses/learning.

I think this sort of learning is the future once you can be sure of the rigour of the exams. Clicking a box, basically says, 'I agree not to cheat' isn't going to cut it.

Once there's a market in online courses students should vote with their feet and lecturers/providers will have to work a lot harder towards producing a decent course when a lot have got away with a lecture consisting of reading aloud a ten year old projector slide and calling it a course.

It's in circuits and electronics (wonder why?):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17012968

What do you think about this proposal?

I think the course content looks pretty good. You could probably do this then go and be a lab tech - if they do a few more courses then it's free education, sit at home then go get the job of your choice. Scary, in a way. If it works out like that!

[quote name='WageSlaveBear' timestamp='1331074276' post='3279021']
I tried to sign up, but never got a response?
[/quote]

I got a hyperlink to click through. If you gave an email address and a username, then try logging in. Guy in my office was waiting for a response but got on the site ok today. Think you can still register. First homework is not due until 16th March.

[quote name='The Generation Game' timestamp='1331073970' post='3279009']
Anyone done much yet with this? Personally, I'm quite enjoying it so far.
[/quote]
I'm giving it a go - much more appealing than doing some work. Feel free to share if you want- just started today so haven't got too far.

[quote name='Soon Not a Chain Retailer' timestamp='1329168106' post='3260581']
Once there's a market in online courses students should vote with their feet and lecturers/providers will have to work a lot harder towards producing a decent course when a lot have got away with a lecture consisting of reading aloud a ten year old projector slide and calling it a course.
[/quote]

That's basically hwy I never bothered with uni - for the areas I'm interested in half a brain and a textbook will suffice. It's not so easy for the arts, but for sciences with fixed and known knowns it seems a logical progression to me. I'd happily pay money to do a degree this way and logically there's no reason why it should cost a lot since replication is cheap.

[quote name='Ascii' timestamp='1331131564' post='3279454']
I'm giving it a go - much more appealing than doing some work. Feel free to share if you want- just started today so haven't got too far.
[/quote]

I've just finished S2E3 so far. It's the "sign" (things like negative power) that's causing me most grief so far. I do think that the circuit construction software could come in very handy from a hobbyist point of view.

Cheers

Blocked by nhs firewall,
Enrolled at home, must remember to tell the other interested person at work.
We might share the textbook.

Looking forward to starting it, if only to see how MIT have handled the online learning experience. Most students now pay 9K a year to hear some anonymous guy drone on a few times a week and have access to a big library. No reason in 2012 why a first degree shouldn't be done cheaply online and be really interactive.

We could all have a degree from MIT, or Oxford, or anywhere else that can put a good online program together.

[quote name='The Generation Game' timestamp='1332254450' post='3290675']
3 weeks into this now. How are any other participators finding it?
[/quote]
I'm a bit behind (started late and had some work to do). I underestimated how much I had forgotten from my A levels 20 years ago so at times it can be slow going but every so often I have an epiphany and remember something I'd forgotten. So far great fun - by biggest problem so far has been getting the direction of current/voltage **** about face but in the real world that doesn't matter too much. I'm getting it right more often than not though.

All good fun.

[quote name='WageSlaveBear' timestamp='1334612059' post='909015215']
Finding the MIT 6002x pretty hard going, but scraping through so far!

Could do with a clear lunch hour every day to catch up.
[/quote]

It's now finding enough time to revise for the mid-term! Am going back to revise Thevenin and Norton circuits now. Having a week off at Easter means I'm no longer a week ahead. Just finished week 6. Will do week 7 this week and then revise. Will leave week 8 until after the mid-term.

Would like to do some of the other courses mentioned but am finding the MIT course quite intensive.

Mid terms are in, so how did you do?

Far better than I expected; would have been happy with 60%,but got 96%.

To be frank I found some of the homework exercises harder than the mid term.

Finished Mid Term then caught up with week 7 this weekend. Now exhausted.

I thought the mid term covered up to week 6, but I really wished I had finished week 7 before I started exam.

I got full marks but it must have taken me a good 5 to six hours of slog and used up all three attempts for most questions.

They were still easier questions than previous homeworks. I might have guessed at some of the answers, but after the fiendishly difficult homeworks I was not willing to risk it.

Looked at week 8 and decided to watch homeland instead.

Week 8 doesn't look like a lot of fun. I think 6 & 8 were supposed to be the worst for maths and that looks to be true.

[quote name='Ascii' timestamp='1335715615' post='909025780']
Mid terms are in, so how did you do?

Far better than I expected; would have been happy with 60%,but got 96%.

To be frank I found some of the homework exercises harder than the mid term.
[/quote]

Same, the Vdd min for the Mosfet question eluded me.

yep same question was the stumbling point for me. Think I know the answer now, but I'll wait for solutions.

and if you haven't done lab 8 yet, the 5 x time constant = 100% charge/discharge (think it's actually 99.3% but close enough) is accurate enough to get the right answers by reading from the graphs.

Saves a bit of tedious maths.