House Price Crash Forum

Home Of The Future

SarahBell

HOLA441

http://www.homeofthefuture.tv/

Watch it now if you didn't watch it last night

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/home-of-the-future/4od

They spend a fortune adding zillions of gadgets to a family's house.

At about 24 minutes in they've just started talking about why kids haven't left home - HOUSE PRICES!!

They have built him an air clad pod in the back garden... hmm

The gadget side of it is utterly mad. How electricity dependent should a house be?

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA442

The gadget side of it is utterly mad. How electricity dependent should a house be?

50 years ago a fridge/washing machine/vaccuum were considered gadgets

20 years ago a dishwasher as well

My point? Yesterday gadgets are todays neccessites.

Ok there is a lot more pointless stuff now, but think about it.

In the last few months both my home and office have suffered power cuts. And its shocking how reliant we have become on electricity, even for the most basic of tasks.

The one thing that annoys me in a power cut is the heating, yes its gas, but it runs on an electric control unit, with no battery backup, they could easily put a 4 + hour backup supply for that

HOLA443
HOLA444

this future living smacks of my worst bad dream !

more authority control

more observation

more manipulation

less personal choice

less personal control

less time

less privacy

just makes me want to live off grid even more than ever

use no electricty

not have a computer

not work

not pay tax

FREEDOM ABOVE ALL ELSE

cue the Planned-opolis video...

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney

HOLA445
HOLA446

This program (well what I saw of it) did make me wonder if it is possible to get a heating control system that you can control with a phone app?

As I'm not always home, I have my heating on for about 30mins in the morning and the same for the evening (the rest of the time I just press the boost button which runs it for an hour). However, it would be good if I could use an app to switch it on an off.

HOLA447
this future living smacks of my worst bad dream !

more authority control

more observation

more manipulation

less personal choice

less personal control

less time

less privacy

just makes me want to live off grid even more than ever

use no electricty

not have a computer

not work

not pay tax

FREEDOM ABOVE ALL ELSE

...says man on internet forum.

HOLA448

This program (well what I saw of it) did make me wonder if it is possible to get a heating control system that you can control with a phone app?

As I'm not always home, I have my heating on for about 30mins in the morning and the same for the evening (the rest of the time I just press the boost button which runs it for an hour). However, it would be good if I could use an app to switch it on an off.

I don't believe anyone's currently offering this yet but the energy company I work for is working on this.

Not just heating and stuff but also controlling all sorts of electrical items.

So for example on the way back from the airport you could use your smartphone to start up the coffee pot at home, etc...

HOLA449

In another post I referred to a BBC show where a Serco bin man helps out a Jakarta bin man on £15 an hour. At the time I thought his cardboard shack next to the rubbish tip had rather more gadgets than my flat. Well they had electricity, phone and perhaps even internet. Space dictated they watched TV outside, not very good when it rains. The loo was down the street somewhere.

HOLA4410

In the last few months both my home and office have suffered power cuts. And its shocking how reliant we have become on electricity, even for the most basic of tasks.

The one thing that annoys me in a power cut is the heating, yes its gas, but it runs on an electric control unit, with no battery backup, they could easily put a 4 + hour backup supply for that

It wasn't that long ago when homes had no electricity, gas or mains water for that matter.....people survived....what about a home with a chimney a real fire with a back boiler that heats the water at the same time a back up and money saving plan. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

It wasn't that long ago when homes had no electricity, gas or mains water for that matter.....people survived....what about a home with a chimney a real fire with a back boiler that heats the water at the same time a back up and money saving plan. ;)

Are you advocating carbon criminality?

Groovy baby!

That's the problem with homes of the future. They date so quickly

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney

HOLA4413

Are you advocating carbon criminality?

......Trees that are pruned can be used, also trees if used must be replanted.....coal like oil is available at a cost...but no other alternatives have to be found...personally I am in favor of nuclear energy....like most things if used in the right responsible way are good, the wrong way are very bad. ;)

HOLA4414

I have a real problem with the dishwasher as a household appliance.

Washing machines, fair enough, but the dishwasher is surely a huge waste of energy and water to carry out something that can be done in a fraction of the time by hand and to the same standard. Also - some of those dishwasher tabs are 40p per tab! (not to mention rinse aid and salt you also need).

Yep, Dishwashers are a total waste of energy and money and are for people too lazy to do the dishes by hand.

I still use mine every day, however, so you can add in a daily dose of guilt to their downsides.

pah.

HOLA4415

Washing machines, fair enough, but the dishwasher is surely a huge waste of energy and water to carry out something that can be done in a fraction of the time by hand and to the same standard. Also - some of those dishwasher tabs are 40p per tab! (not to mention rinse aid and salt you also need).

Yep, Dishwashers are a total waste of energy and money and are for people too lazy to do the dishes by hand.

I still use mine every day, however, so you can add in a daily dose of guilt to their downsides.

pah.

No dishwasher for me (hands), don't use a tumble drier either (fresh air)....the iron gets hardly any use at all (body heat/correct drying ) ;)

HOLA4416

pah.

Usually to a better standard in my experience. And I love the way people I know who use dishwashers rinse their stuff off as they load them up

There was a time, back in the days when dishwashers and tumble driers were popularised, when industry was keen to get people committed to using as much electricity as possible. Now that people are so dependent it's much easier just to jack the prices up

F*** the smart meters, buy a clotheshorse

HOLA4417

......Trees that are pruned can be used, also trees if used must be replanted.....coal like oil is available at a cost...but no other alternatives have to be found...personally I am in favor of nuclear energy....like most things if used in the right responsible way are good, the wrong way are very bad. ;)

What is the right responsible way for dealing with nuclear waste, and the costs of decommissioning old nuclear power stations? The cost of decommissioning a few old nuclear power stations we have in the UK is going to cost one hell of a lot more than all the green subsidies put together, and that is without factoring in the long term waste storage costs.

HOLA4418

What is the right responsible way for dealing with nuclear waste, and the costs of decommissioning old nuclear power stations? The cost of decommissioning a few old nuclear power stations we have in the UK is going to cost one hell of a lot more than all the green subsidies put together, and that is without factoring in the long term waste storage costs.

I don't know anything about it really, but I have heard that Thorium reactors are not very dirty.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

:unsure: I've just sat through that in a state of horror. People actually think this is an ideal vision for the future? Fcking hell. Loving the brainwashed sheep in it too.

All rise.

In my experience, a goodly portion of people who see it assume it's a spoof

Nope, 'fraid not

HOLA4421

Just watched Home of the Future on C4 catch up.

Well what can I say. That is not going to be the home of the future and will look as outdated as that Xanadu place does now in 20-30 years time.

I can see why its sponsored by the energy providers. Indeed the guy was going round the house turning off everything before going to bed (including the indoor plantation, and electric cars). 40% increase in energy charges (not clear if that includes the electric car charging).

Loads of ridiculous gadgetry, just for sleep. The dad was overweight so sleep apnea would be his problem (he stops breathing). Answer loose weight. However the garden gadgets which allow him to watch TV hardly help! Other than that, black out curtains/blinds to increase serotonin levels!

Oh and a gas turbine power station and a state of the art home server system. My guess is if this all goes wrong they won't be able to afford to replace and they will just get on with life without it.

Large increase in garden shed/pod living predicted...especially in the Slough and Newham areas! rolleyes.gif

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Just watched Home of the Future on C4 catch up.

Well what can I say. That is not going to be the home of the future and will look as outdated as that Xanadu place does now in 20-30 years time.

I can see why its sponsored by the energy providers. Indeed the guy was going round the house turning off everything before going to bed (including the indoor plantation, and electric cars). 40% increase in energy charges (not clear if that includes the electric car charging).

Any sign of domestic robots dressed like Jeeves?

I've been waiting for those suckers since I was a kid

Curse you Tomorrow's World, curse you

HOLA4424

Any sign of domestic robots dressed like Jeeves?

I've been waiting for those suckers since I was a kid

Curse you Tomorrow's World, curse you

I blame Raymond Baxter, the "age of leisure" thanks to the "microchip" and "information superhighway" seems to have passed up by, as did the 1970's "ice age."

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4425

HOmes of the future - God know what they'll be.

Who on earth would have thought back in the 60s/70s, when so many people wanted 'modern', that in the 90s and noughties Victorian and Edwardian homes would command such a premium?

And people would gush and coo over original fireplaces/cornicing/original windows, the very same that people were ripping out in the 60s/70s because they didn't want that old-fashioned stuff any more?