20 replies to this topic

#16 RichB

RichB

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

I also come from a poor background. In the nineties I was earning three pounds an hour (one hundred quid a week) and having to pay my rent and all my bills from that amount. It was harsh. However, you can better yourself if you put some effort in to it.

3 an hour?

Luxury.

#17 guitarman001

guitarman001

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Just a quick reply to say thanks for your story and advice there, Jono - much appreciated!

#18 Starla

Starla

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Travelodge have another 10 a room sale on. Fill your boots. Makes you wonder how much cheaper it would be to live in hotels. No council tax, gas, electric, water, house insurance, TV licence, etc to pay.
http://www2.travelod...uk/saver_rooms/

This topic almost deserves it's own separate thread. I'm a London Renter, worse than that a Flat-share renter and it occured to me a few years ago it would be cheaper to permanently live in a Travel Lodge. Ok, so it's a bit Alan Partridge, but the benefits as you mentioned are no council tax, gas, elec, water, house insurance, tv license etc - added to that you get free parking (lots of so no problems for visitors), clean linen and towels daily, free wi fi, transicent neighbours, and if you're lucky enough to be at a service station there's a 24 hour shop.

This couple knew it made sense http://news.bbc.co.u...ire/6988927.stm
Tell me all about it and start at the end.

#19 MattW

MattW

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

This topic almost deserves it's own separate thread. I'm a London Renter, worse than that a Flat-share renter and it occured to me a few years ago it would be cheaper to permanently live in a Travel Lodge. Ok, so it's a bit Alan Partridge, but the benefits as you mentioned are no council tax, gas, elec, water, house insurance, tv license etc - added to that you get free parking (lots of so no problems for visitors), clean linen and towels daily, free wi fi, transicent neighbours, and if you're lucky enough to be at a service station there's a 24 hour shop.

Ooh I remember that. Bless them. :)
Insecure Tenant

#20 Starla

Starla

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Ooh I remember that. Bless them. :)

Genius. "By booking 12 months in advance, they pay 90 a week and have all housework done by maids while often eating at the nearby Little Chef".

You don't even have to make your own bed.

Apols for the slight hi-jack GM, just putting ideas out there!
Tell me all about it and start at the end.

#21 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,556 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I hadn't heard about that couple. :lol:

Thanks for the link.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users