Asheron

Landlords That Snoop Whilst You Are On Holiday Or At Work

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone experienced Landlords that have a key to the house and snoop around whilst you are on holiday or at work?

Do you ever worry about this?

Are you allowed to change the Locks?

I thought this happened to me. The landlord's staff came round round to fix some things outside, and when I came home things had been moved inside. It turned out a week later that my parents had let themselves in to use the lav. They'd seen where the spare key was hidden, and used it. I apologised profusely to the landlord.

I used to live in a flat-share in Willesden, north London, with three others and we suspected that the landlord was letting himself in. None of us stayed in the flat for too long... the flat was a dump and the landlord was a crook. I would recommend raising it with your landlord before changing the locks!

Has anyone experienced Landlords that have a key to the house and snoop around whilst you are on holiday or at work?

Do you ever worry about this?

Are you allowed to change the Locks?

Perfectly legal to change the barrels of the locks. It's quick and simple to do and causes no damage to the door or lock. Just keep the old barrels to one side and replace them before you move out of the property. I do this every time I move into a new property. Legally there's no need to inform the landlord, let alone ask his permission.

No problem with changing the locks. You do not need any evidence that the LL is misbehaving to do so.

Similarly, the landlord should not normally be entering the property without either permission or a court order, so this shouldn't be an issue.

The only time that an issue might occur is in the emergency situation, where the tenancy agreement specifies that the landlord must be provided with a key for emergency access (not all tenancy agreements specify this). E.g. if the property has a water leak, the tenant has changed the locks, and is unable to attend the property. In a genuine emergency situation, the LL does have the right to force entry, and charge the cost of the forced entry/locksmith fees and/or replacement locks to the tenant.

This also happened to me. I saw a landlord puling back my bedsheets to *yuk* sniff them. You are entitled to change the locks, but keep the old one. And let them know that you 'know' what they do. Also - put sellotape at the bottom of doors, stick hairs with saliva to doors etc. Or: just say: you're snooping in my home it's illegal and I'm suing you.'

This also happened to me. I saw a landlord puling back my bedsheets to *yuk* sniff them. You are entitled to change the locks, but keep the old one. And let them know that you 'know' what they do. Also - put sellotape at the bottom of doors, stick hairs with saliva to doors etc. Or: just say: you're snooping in my home it's illegal and I'm suing you.'

That's awful, how did you find out he sniffed your sheets?

That's awful, how did you find out he sniffed your sheets?

Perhaps she's a girl to die for, and he's a sad, sex-starved loner?

lol lol lol @ The Bed Sheet Sniffer.......