Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
inflating

Seems To Be Jobs Again For Some

8 posts in this topic

Spotted a number of "vacancy" or "vacancies" notices in shop windows the past 2 weeks. Most were restaurants but a few were part-time and presumably full-time at computer repair shops and a doctors' receptionist. At Adecco noticed administrators being offered £17K and various engineers £30K to £33K, software engineer also £30K. Also "immediate start if CRB less than 6 months old" for other admin work paying £17K.

Add to that Reed's TV ad campaign with the singing recruiter, and Jobsite appealing for CVs.

Is a ZIRP-fuelled recovery now happening or is it a mirage, a dead-cat bounce?

(Southend, Chelmsford, Leigh - Essex)

I think every thing is about normal except for house prices. We are not in a debt fueled boom so everything is about where it should be.

How long it can stay there is another question.

Edited by khards

You are living in the South East, it is ALOT different up north. I am employed, luckily, but I still look for work everyday. Very few full-time vacancies and even less are permanent. And the jobs that are available usually require experience or high-level qualifications. It has been bad now for 3 years and with the cuts in the local councils coming this year it will only get worse.

I believe that the Olympics has been a HUGE boost to employment in the South-East and when the summer is over unemployment is going to shoot up again.

Plus, you have to understand that the unemployment figures have been constantly manipulated by governements since the 1980s. Anybody claiming ESA (sickness benefit) is not classed as unemployed. Thats 2.7 million people. Then we have Income Support (lone parents etc.) which is another 2 million. Not to mention the students. What is the real unemployment rate in the UK for adults over 18 years of age? 20%? More? :(

Plus, you have to understand that the unemployment figures have been constantly manipulated by governements since the 1980s. Anybody claiming ESA (sickness benefit) is not classed as unemployed. Thats 2.7 million people. Then we have Income Support (lone parents etc.) which is another 2 million. Not to mention the students. What is the real unemployment rate in the UK for adults over 18 years of age? 20%? More? :(

Also people on Pension Credit - both mine and my partners parents are claiming this - one parent nearly of pensionable age and the other still able to look for employment but it isn't worth them signing on as then it would just be taken out of their partners pension credit. How many people does this affect over the age of 50?

Also people on Pension Credit - both mine and my partners parents are claiming this - one parent nearly of pensionable age and the other still able to look for employment but it isn't worth them signing on as then it would just be taken out of their partners pension credit. How many people does this affect over the age of 50?

To be fair, you're not going to get a job either in Starbucks or in a software house if you're over 50. Why go through the hassle of stupid questions when signing on?

To be fair, you're not going to get a job either in Starbucks or in a software house if you're over 50. Why go through the hassle of stupid questions when signing on?

because if you don't they stop paying you

tim

wrt JSA, I've heard that once you turn 60, no need to pretend you've gone for 3 jobs a week, just sign on once a fortnight. Can anyone confirm?

wrt JSA, I've heard that once you turn 60, no need to pretend you've gone for 3 jobs a week, just sign on once a fortnight. Can anyone confirm?

Currently, when people turn 60 they can claim Pension Credit. This is a benefit of around £100 per week and people don't have to attend the Jobcentre.

Another method of reducing the unemployment statistics by taking all 60-65 year olds out of them.