7 replies to this topic

#1 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Spotted a number of "vacancy" or "vacancies" notices in shop windows the past 2 weeks. Most were restaurants but a few were part-time and presumably full-time at computer repair shops and a doctors' receptionist. At Adecco noticed administrators being offered 17K and various engineers 30K to 33K, software engineer also 30K. Also "immediate start if CRB less than 6 months old" for other admin work paying 17K.

Add to that Reed's TV ad campaign with the singing recruiter, and Jobsite appealing for CVs.

Is a ZIRP-fuelled recovery now happening or is it a mirage, a dead-cat bounce?

(Southend, Chelmsford, Leigh - Essex)

#2 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts
  • About Me:What I find I keep.

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

I think every thing is about normal except for house prices. We are not in a debt fueled boom so everything is about where it should be.

How long it can stay there is another question.

Edited by khards, 04 February 2012 - 04:33 PM.

• I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#3 SuperChimp

SuperChimp

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

You are living in the South East, it is ALOT different up north. I am employed, luckily, but I still look for work everyday. Very few full-time vacancies and even less are permanent. And the jobs that are available usually require experience or high-level qualifications. It has been bad now for 3 years and with the cuts in the local councils coming this year it will only get worse.

I believe that the Olympics has been a HUGE boost to employment in the South-East and when the summer is over unemployment is going to shoot up again.

Plus, you have to understand that the unemployment figures have been constantly manipulated by governements since the 1980s. Anybody claiming ESA (sickness benefit) is not classed as unemployed. Thats 2.7 million people. Then we have Income Support (lone parents etc.) which is another 2 million. Not to mention the students. What is the real unemployment rate in the UK for adults over 18 years of age? 20%? More? :(

#4 Salz

Salz

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

Plus, you have to understand that the unemployment figures have been constantly manipulated by governements since the 1980s. Anybody claiming ESA (sickness benefit) is not classed as unemployed. Thats 2.7 million people. Then we have Income Support (lone parents etc.) which is another 2 million. Not to mention the students. What is the real unemployment rate in the UK for adults over 18 years of age? 20%? More? :(

Also people on Pension Credit - both mine and my partners parents are claiming this - one parent nearly of pensionable age and the other still able to look for employment but it isn't worth them signing on as then it would just be taken out of their partners pension credit. How many people does this affect over the age of 50?

#5 Trampa501

Trampa501

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Also people on Pension Credit - both mine and my partners parents are claiming this - one parent nearly of pensionable age and the other still able to look for employment but it isn't worth them signing on as then it would just be taken out of their partners pension credit. How many people does this affect over the age of 50?

To be fair, you're not going to get a job either in Starbucks or in a software house if you're over 50. Why go through the hassle of stupid questions when signing on?
Chrimbo 2011-12 predictions
Really I do not have a clue. It could all change, or it could stay the same!

#6 tim123

tim123

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

To be fair, you're not going to get a job either in Starbucks or in a software house if you're over 50. Why go through the hassle of stupid questions when signing on?

because if you don't they stop paying you

tim

#7 John51

John51

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

wrt JSA, I've heard that once you turn 60, no need to pretend you've gone for 3 jobs a week, just sign on once a fortnight. Can anyone confirm?

#8 SuperChimp

SuperChimp

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

wrt JSA, I've heard that once you turn 60, no need to pretend you've gone for 3 jobs a week, just sign on once a fortnight. Can anyone confirm?

Currently, when people turn 60 they can claim Pension Credit. This is a benefit of around 100 per week and people don't have to attend the Jobcentre.

Another method of reducing the unemployment statistics by taking all 60-65 year olds out of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users