House Price Crash Forum

Areas Of Bristol

Tommm

HOLA441

Friend of mine lived in a 'trendy' flat in Old Mkt area and it turned into a nightmare for her because the developer ended up selling many flats to people on the social so her neighbours were prossies and drug dealers. She had to put up with loud music and smoke from outside 24/7. She had the place on the market for over 2 years and ended up moving out and renting it. She now lives in London and will never live in her flat again.

The problem with desirable areas of Bristol is that its too expensive, even for BTL landlord because average yields are way too low. For instance I know of a BS6 one bed flat on for £160k but the rent would only be £600pcm - see the problem? As an investor or home owner I would not pay more than £120K because anything under 5% yield is a rip off.

HOLA442
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

The area around Parkway is Bradley Stoke, Little Stoke etc - A huge estate of crappy tiny houses with no services or soul whatsoever!

I don't consider those areas Bristol.

My Grandmother lives in a lovely council house in Little Stoke with a huge garden, it's South Gloucestershire with a Bristol postcode.

Anybody watching Phil Spencer on Secret Agent? £229,000 for a horror house in Ashton. Bus Stop directly outside and failed property guru doesn't like it's "Kerb appeal" - on top of that, he comes out with complete lie by saying Bristol house prices have "increased by 4% in the last couple of months". They have gone down 3.6% in the last year. FACT.

Is it worth complaining to Channel 4?

• 1 month later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
  • 6 months later...
HOLA448

Re: The question about up & coming in Bristol....

I've been away from Bristol for a few years, how's Crewe's Hole / St Annes / Netham Park area coming along?

Also I was told by an EA friend (back in 2003 ish) that the Dings was going to be the next place - how's that working out?

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA449

Re: The question about up & coming in Bristol....

I've been away from Bristol for a few years, how's Crewe's Hole / St Annes / Netham Park area coming along?

Also I was told by an EA friend (back in 2003 ish) that the Dings was going to be the next place - how's that working out?

Yes- we are looking to rent and have seen a place online in St Anne's/ Conham Hill area- does anyone know what it's like?

• 2 months later...
HOLA4410

Got an interview for job Stroud Cheltenham. Single woman in forties. Like being close to cities - not necessarily in them but not in a "dead"family suburb - like character and some alternative type scene but with access to city life. Have no idea about this part of the country. Is Stroud a place you could still access Bristol easily and are there any places north Bristol that have a nice vibe rather than sleepy suburbia feel? Is the commute difficult - will be Stroud Gloucester Cheltenham. I am working class girl now professional job but veering towards communism rather than the other politically! Any advice??

HOLA4411

Got an interview for job Stroud Cheltenham. Single woman in forties. Like being close to cities - not necessarily in them but not in a "dead"family suburb - like character and some alternative type scene but with access to city life. Have no idea about this part of the country. Is Stroud a place you could still access Bristol easily and are there any places north Bristol that have a nice vibe rather than sleepy suburbia feel? Is the commute difficult - will be Stroud Gloucester Cheltenham. I am working class girl now professional job but veering towards communism rather than the other politically! Any advice??

You should be able to easily access Bristol from Stroud itself using mainly high-way. However you would really not want to do this during rush-hour as the north of Bristol that you would have to go through is stop-go traffic during this period. So a regular commute from Bristol to Stroud is not something I would recommend if you want to keep your sanity.

If you would be thinking about bus, then Wotton-under-edge is probably the closest that has a reasonable bus-connection to Bristol city centre (little bit more than an hour). Small market town that people seem to like, but I can't personally comment on how it is to live there.

HOLA4412

Cuba maybe?

Stroud is a decent Town in The Cotswolds and a good 30+ miles to the Centre of Bristol. Traffic would be an issue if commuting to and from a lively part of Bristol (Central).

HOLA4413

Thats an easy one. If you can afford it Chipping Sodbury has all you ask. Its just off the A46 which is also known as the stroud rd and guess where that goes :D

HOLA4414

Thanks all- will check out chipping sodbury. Cuba a bit far for the commute and capitalism is even getting there!! I said it cus a few people I know and sites I found talked about hunting riding and royalty and as I don't know the area AT ALL its hard to know where to start. Have just wandered round Stroud. Very friendly and very small. Have no idea where chipping sodbury is/ what money is needed-I have very little ;) but great to have some feedback. .... Cuba - interesting times ..... ;)

HOLA4415

Thanks all- will check out chipping sodbury. Cuba a bit far for the commute and capitalism is even getting there!! I said it cus a few people I know and sites I found talked about hunting riding and royalty and as I don't know the area AT ALL its hard to know where to start. Have just wandered round Stroud. Very friendly and very small. Have no idea where chipping sodbury is/ what money is needed-I have very little ;) but great to have some feedback. .... Cuba - interesting times ..... ;)

HOLA4416

I come from Stroud area. Heading to Bristol down the M5 everyday is pretty easy, although it may take a while due to increased traffic on the way into Bristol through the M32.

House prices in the Cotswolds are still very high and very sticky in the nicer areas sadly.

Top tip: Stroud is part of Gloucestershire and referring to it as Stroud, Chelts will win you no local friends whatsoever :)

• 2 months later...
HOLA4417

Hi,

This is my first post, but I have been reading the forums for a while.

I am looking to purchase my first house. I have been monitoring everything and I can't see any massive adjustment happening, I think there is another 10% to go, so I'm looking to try and get a good deal now to match this - rightly or wrongly.

I have rented in and around Bristol for a while, and have been keen to live around the Gloucester Road or in Southville. However, it seems that prices are still a little silly around those areas (I went to view one at the weekend that was on for £235k and sold for £250k after a bidding war - YIKES!). As a result, I'm starting to look elsewhere.

Can anyone think of any areas which may go the way of Southville/Bishopston and become a little 'trendier', while still being affordable at the moment?

I know no-one can predict the future, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Not totally sure about some of the comments so far on here, (the person going on about 'never buy in the East' is particularly singular!) but I'm in a similar position to you, and have just bought in Bristol, so thought I'd give you some good old fashioned and solidly middle-class advice!

Keep looking in the following areas if you want to buy a reasonably priced place in a decent-ish area:

Church Road area (Redfield/St. George) - VERY up and coming. The new Montpelier, I would guess. There's a Cafe Grouded there. Says it all really!

The wider Redfield area

The wider St. George area

Whitehall

Barton Hill (used to be fairly nasty but is also pretty up and coming, potentially, and has a great health centre!)

The Devon Road side of Easton (steer clear of Stapleton Road at all costs)!

Kingswood

We've been looking in these areas, as they have shops, local services, nice parks, decent schools (Barton Hill Primary excepted - but it's over-subscribed anyway so don't worry) and good community spirit. Plus you can walk to town, assuming you're not a lazy so and so.

Good luck!

HOLA4418

(steer clear of Stapleton Road at all costs)!

Where in particular? The bit near the mouth of the motorway?

I used to live just round the corner from the Stapleton Road station. It was interesting but not threatening, and it seems to have come up in the world since then, judging by the much-improved condition of the houses and even the yards.

Kingswood

Ugly suburbs, and you'd want wheels to get to the city centre.