House Price Crash Forum

Areas Of Bristol

Tommm

HOLA441

Hi,

This is my first post, but I have been reading the forums for a while.

I am looking to purchase my first house. I have been monitoring everything and I can't see any massive adjustment happening, I think there is another 10% to go, so I'm looking to try and get a good deal now to match this - rightly or wrongly.

I have rented in and around Bristol for a while, and have been keen to live around the Gloucester Road or in Southville. However, it seems that prices are still a little silly around those areas (I went to view one at the weekend that was on for £235k and sold for £250k after a bidding war - YIKES!). As a result, I'm starting to look elsewhere.

Can anyone think of any areas which may go the way of Southville/Bishopston and become a little 'trendier', while still being affordable at the moment?

I know no-one can predict the future, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

HOLA442

Depends how much affordable you want. Knowle (not Knowle West) is a little cheaper than Southville and a little less crammed-in if that's important. The Anarcho-hempsmoker haunt of Montpelier's almost the same price as Bishopston. Even Stokes Croft, a kind of mini-Hoxton (complete with Nathan Barleys), isn't bargain-land anymore. Easton is cheaper and a great place if you're single or just a couple but it's still a bit rough and ready if you have kids. St Pauls can be about the same if it's the parts that border St Andrews, Montpelier or St Werburghs. St Werburghs used to offer value but rich greenies have now colonised it completely. St George is cheaper, Fishponds is cheaper still - but then you're further out and your urban 'trendy' thing goes.

HOLA443

I am in a similar position and have lots of knowledge of the BS3/6/7/8/9 market. I currently live in Redland.

I was looking in Southville but have decided it offers no value for money in an area too with not the best schooling due to tiny catchment areas (less than a 100yds in the case of Southville Primary!) and secondary schools are not great. OK you might never have a family but in terms of resale value then it's worth considering good schools over everything else, especially in Bristol.

I honestly cannot see any area in the whole of the South or East ever becoming trendy like Redland/Clifton/Cotham. Southville might be the exception but some of those £250k plus houses were only 40k barely in the late 90s and I still think the area is isolated with some not so nice areas on it's doorstep.

Bedminster just doesn't cut it and the schools are bad. WIndmill Hill/Victoria Pk - have a few friends buying there now but still down at heel areas with no 'North Street'. Totterdown/Knowle ok but again don't hold your breath as they have a long way to go.

There are some pockets of affordability around Henleaze/Westbury on Trym but be careful you dont end up too close to Southmead. Also Horfield would be ok but I still think it's way over priced for a very average working class area.

Don't know anything about the West, Shirehampton etc but guessing they are not that great as ex council estates rule these parts.

Forget the East, all of it, sorry anyone in Easton/St George but I don't even like visiting friends in these areas let alone buying there!

Montpelier - again affordable but its still pretty rough and too close to St Pauls. Same goes for St Werburghs.

Hope that helps, my opinion of course and some will disagree (expecting people from Bedminster to stick up for their area!).

One thing we all agree on is the nice areas of Bristol are expensive and will stay so - this has always been the case. The depressing thing is there are no emerging / up and coming areas imho. One's like Southville/St Andrews have already up and gone. Anyone who suggests areas like Brislington/Bedminster etc are in dream land.

HOLA444

Southville might be the exception but some of those £250k plus houses were only 40k barely in the late 90s and I still think the area is isolated with some not so nice areas on it's doorstep.

I think that sums up Bristol for me. I don't mind a bit of urban grot or a shabby inner suburb that's well placed for the whole of Bristol but small crumbling worker's terraces in Bedminster for a cool quarter million? That's where it's senseless.

HOLA445

I agree, it is senseless and those areas just dont seem sustainable.

However, although somewhere like Brislington isn't necessarily up and coming, it's affordable and I don't think it'll lose money. Plus with good transport links, it might just be a decent bet to buy and not lose money if you get a good deal.

It's very frustrating, but I just can't see prices in the areas I want to dropping - people will pay stupid money and I can't see them stopping.

HOLA446

Hi guys,

Agree with most of the comments above.

the "new" middle clasee still has to go somewhere.

I cannot afford a family in bs6, bs8 , southville, bishopton etc...

currently renting in bedminster, i have no intention to stay there

in the future gloucester road will be only a shared house with drunk students and around whiteladies as well. (by the way, I love that wilkinson that replaces borders on the triangle)

between seamills and westbury might be actually nice and quite, any thought?

HOLA447

I agree that most of the BS6 area between Whiteladies and Glos Rd will be students, flats, multiple occupation, after all what family could afford a £600K plus family house! A landlord will but it and chop it up.

I wonder if the new hospital will smarten up the areas near Southmead? I don't ever expect the Mead to improve but areas around Horfield, North of Kellaway Rd might benefit?

Brislington does offer good value for money I agree but only compared to areas like Bedminster and Windmill Hill which are grossly over-priced - houses in Windmill Hill next door to two tower blocks are going for 1/4 million - absolute madness! Why would anyone pay so much to live in places like this!

Yea funny that Wilkinsons took over borders, that's all about the students, I guess it is empty during holiday time, having said that it could reflect how skint the middle class are having to service huge mortgages to live in BS8/BS6.

Any other areas? I still know little about the West of the City, e.g. Coombe Dingle? A friend bought a big house there for £240k recently and likes it, and they are very middle class.

HOLA448

Coombe Dingle is nice enough and I know the area pretty well (went to school round there), but I just dont see it as a place to live with much to do.

BS3, BS6, BS7 and BS8 are all overpriced and student/renting areas with no room at all for a cautious first time buyer.

Brislington with its transport links, proximity to the centre and amenities nearby looks like the only option I can see for first time buyers on a budget wanting to live in town.

I guess with the money I can save, I can spend on transport to the areas I want to go out in!

HOLA449

Coombe Dingle is nice enough and I know the area pretty well (went to school round there), but I just dont see it as a place to live with much to do.

BS3, BS6, BS7 and BS8 are all overpriced and student/renting areas with no room at all for a cautious first time buyer.

Brislington with its transport links, proximity to the centre and amenities nearby looks like the only option I can see for first time buyers on a budget wanting to live in town.

I guess with the money I can save, I can spend on transport to the areas I want to go out in!

Tommm,

Brislington is a good call for all the reasons you state. PM me, I lived there from the ages of 8 to 18 and know the good spots.

You can't get closer to the Centre of Town without A) being ripped off or B) living in a ghetto.

HOLA4410

Tommm,

Brislington is a good call for all the reasons you state. PM me, I lived there from the ages of 8 to 18 and know the good spots.

You can't get closer to the Centre of Town without A) being ripped off or B) living in a ghetto.

Thanks for that - I'm trying to PM you but I'm getting errors. I'll keep trying though!

:)

HOLA4411

Untoward,

It isn't letting me PM you - I keep getting an error.

Where are the hot spots in Brislington? I know about The Paintworks, but that's about it.

With all the research I've been doing, I think you're right - it's the only place that you can move into the city without getting ripped off. All the crime stats are surprisingly good as well - much better than BS3/BS7.

Any pearls of wisdom would be great!

Tom

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

When I lived briefly in Brisl in the '80s, there was little to distinguish between Southville and Bedminster. Both rather shabby, but with the virtue of close proximity to the city centre.

Couldn't say where they are now, but I'd point out that by the time it's clear that an area is up-and-coming (as evidently happened to Southville since my time), prices have already headed skyward. You want to catch the big rises, you have to buy into an area while everyone is still warning you off and saying how dire it is.

I lived for a few months in Southville and a few in Easton, both while working in Brislington.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

:o

My recollection of Brislington is uninspiring-suburb. Not really walking distance of anything, and the point on the A4 where the traffic jams into the city start.

You gets whats you pays for.

The Original poster wanted something affordable. Not a lot happens in Brislington but it is well placed, although massive, so pick your spot wisely. You can walk to Temple Meads in no time and a stroll into Town is not too far (The closer you are situated to Arnos Park, the better). I would check out the roads North of Talbot Road - Kensington, Hampstead, Runswick that lead to the Park. Quiet Roads with decent and large Victorian/Edwardian Houses.

Some insider knowledge for the HPC crew. This House is a deceased estate on my Parents Road and Big (It's a very nice part of the street).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31851067.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%255E%257B%2522polylines%2522%253A%2522qg%257DxHdjqNbS%257B%2540eAdWn%2540bWfSlPkJjSwThRaKvMyEjLkKjKuDzVqMk%2540jG%257DPh%2540_Ji%2540qRnA_%2560%2540xA_JuGy%2560%2540jJ_CtHub%2540zQQ%2522%257D%26insId%3D1%23_includeSSTC%3Don%26auction%3Dfalse%26locationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%255E%257B%2522polylines%2522%253A%2522qg%257DxHdjqNbS%257B%2540eAdWn%2540bWfSlPkJjSwThRaKvMyEjLkKjKuDzVqMk%2540jG%257DPh%2540_Ji%2540qRnA_%2560%2540xA_JuGy%2560%2540jJ_CtHub%2540zQQ%2522%257D%26previousSearchLocation%3DUntitled%2520%28Drawn%2520Area%29%26radius%3D0.0%26searchLocation%3DUntitled%2520%28Drawn%2520Area%29%26searchType%3DSALE%26useLocationIdentifier%3Dfalse%26box%3D-2.56164%2C-2.54713%2C51.43020%2C51.44426%26popupPropertyId%3D31851067%26mapType%3DMap&fromMap=true

If my Parents were not in Brislington, I would snap this up. It's a bit close to home for me.

HOLA4417

Thanks for all the details!

Yeah, you got my point exactly! It's affordable, convenient for town (like you say, easily walkable) and plenty of amenities nearby (albeit not on the doorstep).

That property is the kind of thing we're looking at. There seems to be a fair few coming on at the moment so we may have to line up a viewing of a few and see how we get on.

Spent the weekend around the area and decided that it is for us. We really like it!

Cheers for your help,

Tom

You gets whats you pays for.

The Original poster wanted something affordable. Not a lot happens in Brislington but it is well placed, although massive, so pick your spot wisely. You can walk to Temple Meads in no time and a stroll into Town is not too far (The closer you are situated to Arnos Park, the better). I would check out the roads North of Talbot Road - Kensington, Hampstead, Runswick that lead to the Park. Quiet Roads with decent and large Victorian/Edwardian Houses.

Some insider knowledge for the HPC crew. This House is a deceased estate on my Parents Road and Big (It's a very nice part of the street).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31851067.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%255E%257B%2522polylines%2522%253A%2522qg%257DxHdjqNbS%257B%2540eAdWn%2540bWfSlPkJjSwThRaKvMyEjLkKjKuDzVqMk%2540jG%257DPh%2540_Ji%2540qRnA_%2560%2540xA_JuGy%2560%2540jJ_CtHub%2540zQQ%2522%257D%26insId%3D1%23_includeSSTC%3Don%26auction%3Dfalse%26locationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%255E%257B%2522polylines%2522%253A%2522qg%257DxHdjqNbS%257B%2540eAdWn%2540bWfSlPkJjSwThRaKvMyEjLkKjKuDzVqMk%2540jG%257DPh%2540_Ji%2540qRnA_%2560%2540xA_JuGy%2560%2540jJ_CtHub%2540zQQ%2522%257D%26previousSearchLocation%3DUntitled%2520%28Drawn%2520Area%29%26radius%3D0.0%26searchLocation%3DUntitled%2520%28Drawn%2520Area%29%26searchType%3DSALE%26useLocationIdentifier%3Dfalse%26box%3D-2.56164%2C-2.54713%2C51.43020%2C51.44426%26popupPropertyId%3D31851067%26mapType%3DMap&fromMap=true

If my Parents were not in Brislington, I would snap this up. It's a bit close to home for me.

HOLA4418

Thanks for all the details!

Yeah, you got my point exactly! It's affordable, convenient for town (like you say, easily walkable) and plenty of amenities nearby (albeit not on the doorstep).

That property is the kind of thing we're looking at. There seems to be a fair few coming on at the moment so we may have to line up a viewing of a few and see how we get on.

Spent the weekend around the area and decided that it is for us. We really like it!

Cheers for your help,

Tom

Tom,

You are welcome. Which parts did you check?

Not sure what was happening with the PM situation but I would like to know how your search is going. Keep me posted.

Cheers,

Untoward.

HOLA4419

How about areas around Bristol that are afforable and offer better value for money than within the city itself?

Been looking on rightmove this week, still the same old over-priced crap in the nicer postcodes of Bristol, it's really becoming depressing out there!

HOLA4420

Although I have a car I can stroll to the city centre. Since being self employed and don't have to commute everyday day it seems like an age between trips to the petrol station. Thus I'd be loathe to move out of the city and inner suburbs as I've just grown used to strolling to most of the things I need here and in the South East.

The Brislingtons and Fishponds, etc. would lose me that advantage really - plus they are pretty soulless. May as well go the whole hog and move to Sadly Broke.

Bishopston (and the parts of Horfield that border it). St Andrews. Montpelier. Redland. Bedminster. Southville. Totterdown. I'd have no real qualms about living in any of these places but the prices are still a joke.

HOLA4421

Although I have a car I can stroll to the city centre. Since being self employed and don't have to commute everyday day it seems like an age between trips to the petrol station. Thus I'd be loathe to move out of the city and inner suburbs as I've just grown used to strolling to most of the things I need here and in the South East. What is your example of an inner suburb? There is no such thing really.

The Brislingtons and Fishponds, etc. would lose me that advantage really - plus they are pretty soulless. May as well go the whole hog and move to Sadly Broke. Pleeeeeeaase.

Bishopston (and the parts of Horfield that border it). St Andrews. Montpelier. Redland. Bedminster. Southville. Totterdown. I'd have no real qualms about living in any of these places but the prices are still a joke.

That is the whole point of Brislington. It's cheap (Relatively).

The Streets I divulged earlier in the thread are less than 2 miles from Queen Square. In the other direction (Up Gloucester Road) St Andrews Park is about the same distance. It is more central than most people realise and certainly a lot closer to Town than the Horfield borders you mention.

As was the whole point of this thread, if you want a lot of house for your money with a good sized garden, Brislington is your place. Gardens are a real problem in Knowle, Totterdown, Bishopston, Bedminster, Southville, Cotham, Kingsdown etc - they are mere Chicken runs.

The odious Left wing lentil mafia have yet to find Brislington. Hurry before they do - Paintworks has a few mind.

HOLA4422

Exactly that. In an ideal world I'd be looking along Gloucester Road, but when I can get a better house for around £70k less in Brislington I think it's a no brainer.

It's still easily walkable to town in a half hour or so - I had the same distance from my old rented house in Bishopston.

That is the whole point of Brislington. It's cheap (Relatively).

The Streets I divulged earlier in the thread are less than 2 miles from Queen Square. In the other direction (Up Gloucester Road) St Andrews Park is about the same distance. It is more central than most people realise and certainly a lot closer to Town than the Horfield borders you mention.

As was the whole point of this thread, if you want a lot of house for your money with a good sized garden, Brislington is your place. Gardens are a real problem in Knowle, Totterdown, Bishopston, Bedminster, Southville, Cotham, Kingsdown etc - they are mere Chicken runs.

The odious Left wing lentil mafia have yet to find Brislington. Hurry before they do - Paintworks has a few mind.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I know three couples that have moved to brislington in the last couple of years because they couldn't afford to buy where they rented (Glos Rd & Hotwells) and while they love their spacious houses they all have the same complaints. There are no decent pubs or cafes within walking distance so they always have to drive everywhere (they are East side of Brislington and still a long way from Boca Bar which would be their closest.

Even in areas which are just a bit deary e.g. Bedminster, WIndmill Hill, Ashton you are still very close to some pubs that are pretty much chav free (although North St on a weekend is like Whiteladies Rd and very chavvy when all the low life/benefit scroungers from outer Bristol estates roll in for their posh night out).

Bristol is hopeless unless money is no object or you are a chav and don't mind living in crap areas.

HOLA4425

I know three couples that have moved to brislington in the last couple of years because they couldn't afford to buy where they rented (Glos Rd & Hotwells) and while they love their spacious houses they all have the same complaints. There are no decent pubs or cafes within walking distance so they always have to drive everywhere (they are East side of Brislington and still a long way from Boca Bar which would be their closest.

Even in areas which are just a bit deary e.g. Bedminster, WIndmill Hill, Ashton you are still very close to some pubs that are pretty much chav free (although North St on a weekend is like Whiteladies Rd and very chavvy when all the low life/benefit scroungers from outer Bristol estates roll in for their posh night out).

Bristol is hopeless unless money is no object or you are a chav and don't mind living in crap areas.

Exactly. I get the sense the OP was after 'urban living' and you lose that feel as far out as Brislington. I really don't think there's any value left that isn't a ghetto. I could put up with Easton if I was single or a living as a couple - it's got a big community of people that would be in Montpelier or St Werburghs if those areas hadn't gentrified and lively if you like a bit of arty bohemian squalor.

Bedminster's alright and North Street around the Tobacco Factory's a kind of Gloucester Road lite but as I said the prices are daft for an area that's hardly worth jumping up and down over.

If you want City Centre living for less there's the red light district/gay village of Old Market - your trendy 2 bed flat might be £150k-£180k there rather than than £250k around the harbour.