KMKM

Snaresbrook

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

Am first time buyer (no chain) and good finances/25% deposit.

Have put in an offer of £250k for a 2 bedroom property in a gated block in Snaresbrook that was listed @ £290k. This has been rejected by the agent.

Think the property is nice but there is a high service charge (£3200 p.a) and kitchen/few other bits need doing.

Know its difficult to say but does an offer like this look 'too low'?

Do agents ever come back to you on a property if an offer has outright been rejected?

Does anyone here have any experience of Snaresbrook as an area and what the property market is like there, especially at the moment

Many thanks

Snaresbrook is a very nice area. You've got quite a lot of choice for your budget, especially in neighbouring - and equally nice - Wanstead.

Leytonstone is just down the road, and has improved in leaps and bounds (two gastropubs!) in the last couple of years. You can still (just about) get a whole house in Leytonstone for 250K.

I'd hold out at £250k. The place is slightly above that £260-£275k range that the vendor only expects to get £250k, but not by much.

The agent is probably advising the vendor that there will be a rush of buyers once the Christmas break is over. This is traditionally how it works, but most people would agree it is unlikely to bethe case in 2012!

Snaresbrook is a very nice area. You've got quite a lot of choice for your budget, especially in neighbouring - and equally nice - Wanstead.

Leytonstone is just down the road, and has improved in leaps and bounds (two gastropubs!) in the last couple of years. You can still (just about) get a whole house in Leytonstone for 250K.

can you really? I've been looking in Leyton, and 3beds with gardens in livable condition, not scummily located, are asking toward £300k. I suppose the issue here is really about finding that special seller who will take the bait at £250k. Patience is probably the key.

Fancypants - I keep an eye on prices 'cos we're planning to move up North in a year or two. £250k houses are increasingly rare (usually 2 beds) but they're out there. Pushing 300k is more typical these days - been told it's due in part to buyers who've been priced out of Hackney and Tower Hamlets.

KMKM - have a look around at what else is available for that money or less. You could be surprised. I have to declare that I can't really give any advice other than that, but good luck.

Not sure what happened there, stupid iPhone client. Anyway, whilst I agree somewhat with the above regarding Leytonstone I still wouldn't buy there and wish i hadn't. It's still a dump with nothing of any consequence in the centre. There is the Red Lion now, not sure where the 2 nd gastropub is but I doubt the red lion will be there for long given the local clientele still seem to prefer Witherspoons and bullet holes. We moved there because my gf insisted on being in e London still and hackney is now too expensive. If you love pound shops and fried chicken youll love it here.

That being said if your young and aren't relying on local service like schools and don't mind always going out somewhere else for fun then you can get a crap house in the crap areas for 250. Nice house in the nicer bits are still 300-325 although I have noticed prices are dropping which is nice. Unless you just bought here.....and I think they'll probably keep dropping once he Olympic site becomes the worlds biggest council estate

Not sure what happened there, stupid iPhone client. Anyway, whilst I agree somewhat with the above regarding Leytonstone I still wouldn't buy there and wish i hadn't. It's still a dump with nothing of any consequence in the centre. There is the Red Lion now, not sure where the 2 nd gastropub is but I doubt the red lion will be there for long given the local clientele still seem to prefer Witherspoons and bullet holes. We moved there because my gf insisted on being in e London still and hackney is now too expensive. If you love pound shops and fried chicken youll love it here.

That being said if your young and aren't relying on local service like schools and don't mind always going out somewhere else for fun then you can get a crap house in the crap areas for 250. Nice house in the nicer bits are still 300-325 although I have noticed prices are dropping which is nice. Unless you just bought here.....and I think they'll probably keep dropping once he Olympic site becomes the worlds biggest council estate

I ain't too snotty about it - I quite like aspects of the area. Certainly, for zone 3 London with such quick access to the City, West End, Canary Wharf, and Epping Forest you won't find anywhere so affordable. Anyway, each to their own, but so far as prices are going I guess it shouldn't be surprising to see two different outlooks from two people with seeming different VIs ;)

Having observed the area very closely for the best part of a year now, I'm pretty certain that prices aren't doing much either way - and there's very little activity. Obviously its horrendously over-priced but where isn't? My own view is that its good value *relative* to the other options.

The second gastropub is the North Star on Browning Road - although 'gastropub' is probably the wrong term for a traditional boozer. They've just got in a professional chef to compete with the Red Lion, which has been a rip-roaring success according to owners Antic, who consider it their best-ever launch. The Red Lion has a more or less completely ABC1 demographic, all locals who until now had been spending their money in Wanstead or the West End. The Red Lion is just one facet of change - there are others; The Olive, and The Stone Space being another two. The houses in the streets between Cann Hall and Harrow Roads are being smartened up one by one and the council is spending ££££ on the 'public realm' on the High Road and Cann Hall Roads. Basically, what we're seeing here is what happened in Stoke Newington 15 or so years ago. These things take time. The Queen Elizabeth Park will be another huge asset to the area when it opens. But, yes - I do wonder about who will be living in the Athlete's Village.

Having said that, there's barely a shop on the High Road worth visiting at the moment, and the area between the Cathall Estate and Leyton Tube is an absolute toilet.

I ain't too snotty about it - I quite like aspects of the area. Certainly, for zone 3 London with such quick access to the City, West End, Canary Wharf, and Epping Forest you won't find anywhere so affordable. Anyway, each to their own, but so far as prices are going I guess it shouldn't be surprising to see two different outlooks from two people with seeming different VIs ;)

Having observed the area very closely for the best part of a year now, I'm pretty certain that prices aren't doing much either way - and there's very little activity. Obviously its horrendously over-priced but where isn't? My own view is that its good value *relative* to the other options.

Quite so - Leytonstone is very good value indeed. And surprisingly central - I work at Tower Hill and I can be home in about half an hour, door to door if the Tube's doing it's thing. I've even walked it a few times, too.

It's certainly a much nicer place to live than many areas in East London - including 95% of Hackney and Tower Hamlets.

Snaresbrook: Feels like proper suburbia. Neat and clean. 'Posh' compared to the rest of East London. Near Wanstead and Woodford which have proper, old fashioned high streets selling things you might actually want to buy. Expensive to buy property.

Leytonstone: Feels like proper East London (which it is, of course). Run down in parts, Upper Leytonstone and Bushwood/Browning Road best areas, with premium on prices. many recent improvements to area mentioned in previous posts. Lots of anecdotal evidence of middle-class types moving in, priced out of Hackney and Tower Hamlets. Certainly, the local populace seems a lot more 'normal' :huh: and prosperous looking than it did a few years ago. Unremarkable but typical East London shops on High Road. Three or four good restaurants and three or four good pubs (two of which are excellent). Westfield within walking distance (and Stratford international), as well as the ginormous Queen Elizabeth Park in 2013 which will be a green link to Victoria Park in Hackney. Property good value IMHO - less than 300k for a house in (quiet, residential) Cann Hall area. Cann Hall road has just been spruced up. Wouldn't even bother looking in area between Cathall Roads and Leyton High Road - horrible. Very scruffy and getting worse. Any trouble in Leytonstone often seems to have a connection to the Cathall Estate.

Snaresbrook: Feels like proper suburbia. Neat and clean. 'Posh' compared to the rest of East London. Near Wanstead and Woodford which have proper, old fashioned high streets selling things you might actually want to buy. Expensive to buy property.

Leytonstone: Feels like proper East London (which it is, of course). Run down in parts, Upper Leytonstone and Bushwood/Browning Road best areas, with premium on prices. many recent improvements to area mentioned in previous posts. Lots of anecdotal evidence of middle-class types moving in, priced out of Hackney and Tower Hamlets. Certainly, the local populace seems a lot more 'normal' :huh: and prosperous looking than it did a few years ago. Unremarkable but typical East London shops on High Road. Three or four good restaurants and three or four good pubs (two of which are excellent). Westfield within walking distance (and Stratford international), as well as the ginormous Queen Elizabeth Park in 2013 which will be a green link to Victoria Park in Hackney. Property good value IMHO - less than 300k for a house in (quiet, residential) Cann Hall area. Cann Hall road has just been spruced up. Wouldn't even bother looking in area between Cathall Roads and Leyton High Road - horrible. Very scruffy and getting worse. Any trouble in Leytonstone often seems to have a connection to the Cathall Estate.

thanks. did u consider buying in snaresbrook?

No, bit too 'suburban' for us, though now I'm older I can see the appeal. We liked Leytonstone and knew quite a few people in the area. It also allowed us to get a whole house with large garden for the same price as our rent was on a one-bed flat when we lived in 'trendy' Shoreditch. That was back in 2001. No regrets at all.

The Stone Space being another two.

The Stone Space is quite pretentious - its basically a room with a couple of pictures in it facing the street with incredibly bright lighting that is on 24 hours a day. No doubt they cut the book buying fund for the library upstairs to pay for this 24 hour lighting. I just wish one of the locals would break the windows so someone could switch off the lights!

Leytonstone has a lot to offer in terms of accessibility - its relatively quiet (compare negotiating it with the horrorville that is Stratford or Leyton stations), is only 20 minutes door to door from the west end by tube and if you are in the town centre has enough basic shops to keep you going. But its gone downhill since that stupid 'Stone Space' opened!

Edited by MRMX9

I would disagree that the Stone Space is in any way 'pretentious' - all art galleries are just 'a room'. What was an anonymous office faced with frosted glass is now filled with objects of beauty and interest. I don't really care that the lights are on 24/7 - it's an excellent addition to the 'public realm'. It's also been hugely popular - especially the live painting event that was on the other saturday. Believe it or not, Leytonstone (and Leyton/Walthamstow) has one of the highest concentrations of artists in Europe.