HOLA441
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Humphrys: Economy relying on consumer spending, fuelled by debt, and high house prices.

Brown: I disagree with that. :blink:

HOLA444

i particualry like the bits where gb disputes the oecd figures and says all is well with uk plc.

that'll be right, then.

I heard the bit when GB defended UK productivity by saying what a huge number of small businesses are in business since 1997. Does this stack up or make any sense ?

Edited by penbat1

HOLA445
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Humphrys: Mervyn King said the next ten years will not be the same as the past ten years.

I second that. :(

HOLA446

I heard the bit when GB defended UK productivity by saying what a huge number of small businesses are in business since 1997. Does this stack up or make any sense ?

No start ups are sharply down. And IR35 plus a raft of other legislation seems to have been purposefully designed to prevent business startups.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

You have to ask yourself what is the point in bothering to listen to a politician like Chemical Crash Gordon. He spins and twists his statistics like a fish on a line. Every statement is qualified, every direct question avoided and a completely different question is 'half' answered instead using open ended statistics. 37% of me found the broadcast interesting, 40% of me found it amusing but 20% of me was getting very angry. Worryingly 3% of me wanted to spread chum over his fat naked carcas and dangle him over a pit filled with hungry, narrow-minded Australian crocodiles which had been forced to listen to a tape of his speeches for a month.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

He couldn't really say anything else, though, could he? You don't know what he actually thinks,

Peter.

He probably thinks the same thing - a form of self delusion and self-righteousness. Tony Blair, for example, most likely thinks he is doing us all a favour and sincerely thinks he is doing the right thing in Iraq.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Anyone able to copy this interview into an WMA/MP3 format available to download? This interview is a must keep!!!

You cannot help but think Humphrys was enjoying this a little more than usual - a little pay-back for the recent NuLab backed public wrist-slapping he endured?

HOLA4415

You cannot help but think Humphrys was enjoying this a little more than usual - a little pay-back for the recent NuLab backed public wrist-slapping he endured?

Yes but I believe Mr H has been targeted and I wonder how long he's got left before the long reach of the NuLabour state apparatus makes him disappear. I can just see old man Crash Gordon instructing his oxbridge lap-dog lackeys to dig into Humphry's past and get something on him. Might make a good film.

HOLA4416

Anyone able to copy this interview into an WMA/MP3 format available to download? This interview is a must keep!!!

There are a few software products that allow you to convert streaming audio to an mp3 but cant think of name offhand. Do a Google search maybe.

Edited by penbat1

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

i particulary like the bits where gb disputes the oecd figures and says all is well with uk plc.

that'll be right, then.

He has also taken credit for Mervyn King's newly coined "Great Stability", but agreed that the business cycle still exists, then gave a little guilty chuckle when Humph mentioned "boom and bust is over".

With regard to consumer sales falling, he stated categorically that when the final figures come out they will be higher than last year. And the year isn't even over yet.....something fishy there. He puts it down to a "series of services that people buy that are not included in purchases of food, or purchases of electronic goods". What has he managed to get shoe-horned in there to bulk it out?

He expects the growth in consumer sales this year to be less than last year, putting it down to the 4 interest rate rises before the election, and a "squeeze" from oil prices. Nothing to do with house prices then? Not the housing ATM drying up, and mortgage interest consuming more of people's income? He mentioned that oil prices have trebled over the past 10 years, but nothing about house prices trebling.

With regard to rates, he states interest rate decisions have been taken away from DIRECT political control. So are they now indirectly controlled? He also states "WE raised interest rates 4 times before the election", not the BoE raised them, followed by "you will do everything in your power to achieve that (stability)".

Puppets on a string??

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Any touch typists out there who could type this interview up to post here? Then the HPC dogs could be unleashed to dissect Gordon's every nuance.

We don't often get this sort of aggressive questioning of GB, indeed Mr H was worthy of the most rabid HPC posters in his line of questioning, and got some choice quotes from the Fat Fifer.

HOLA4423

He expects the growth in consumer sales this year to be less than last year, putting it down to the 4 interest rate rises before the election, and a "squeeze" from oil prices. Puppets on a string??

Blaming oil prices and interest rates for the economic slowdown that seems to be happening is in my opinion like driving without wearing a seatbelt, crashing into a tree, and then blaming the fact you broke your neck on the tree. The coming economic bad times have been in the post for years, since this country started living on a credit binge and artifically boosting employment by borrowing for public sector spending. It's no good moaning about oil now.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Gordon has not yet heard that wonderful US expression:

If it looks like a recession, sounds like a recession and behaves like a recession in all probablility it is a recession.

With every key indicator pointing down Gordon can only save his political life by hoping the economic wind changes directon before too many people notice. At least Al Greenspan has had the guts to admit that the US economy is taking on a shape more charcteristic of a pear than it was before.