Darkman

The Kiss Of Death For Any Forum

9 posts in this topic

It's not necessary to moan, but I will anyway :P

I wonder what the rationale is behind so many thread moves? On the face of it specific topics can be filed away in their little pigeon holes and everything is neat and tidy. But what's the point?

It's a little frustrating to seek out interesting threads that have been moved to some obscure corner of the site. And the result usually is I won't bother and the thread is written off.

I've run a busy forum myself, and I know what a thankless task it is. So well done to the mods for keeping the place spam and troll free. But can we ease up on the tidying & filing?

I think the point is that its the job of the mods to remember exactly what this site is all about.

The site is huge, often quoted and supported by advertising. At the extreme, there are occasionally incredibly stupid puerile threads that start that it would be embarrasing for the site to keep on the front page, but at least they are kept. Is it REALLY a major hassle to have to find them somewhere else on the site?

In any case a lot of times the mods allow interesting but not all that necessarily hpc related threads to stay on the front page for quite a while. Seems they have the balance about right.

I think the point is that its the job of the mods to remember exactly what this site is all about.

The site is huge, often quoted and supported by advertising. At the extreme, there are occasionally incredibly stupid puerile threads that start that it would be embarrasing for the site to keep on the front page, but at least they are kept. Is it REALLY a major hassle to have to find them somewhere else on the site?

In any case a lot of times the mods allow interesting but not all that necessarily hpc related threads to stay on the front page for quite a while. Seems they have the balance about right.

+1

which begs the question, is interestraterippoff on the payroll? :P

+1

which begs the question, is interestraterippoff on the payroll? :P

Don't know but he might be on the payroll of the Daily Mail.

you are right, if you enforce it so all topics must be 100% about the sites interests you will see it die quickly

only so many times you can say look, house prices going up/down thats good/bad

Shouldn't this be in 'About hpc'? :D

Indeed it should Durch, I think that is clear evidence that not enough threads are being moved. Move some more now.

I've not experienced any moves etc - what I will say though is the moderating here is pretty good compared with some sites. I like to hack consoles,but I'm a bit of noob. Quite often I'll post a really long and well thought out question which is actually valid and not a complete waste of time and it's not posted at all ! Then on the same section of the forum someone will write "need help now" (no please or thankyou) as the thread title and in text body using text talk say sumting like "i got a burn a xdg3 init" and it's posted ! Seriously WTF. Moan over....