Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaynewcastle

Why Has The Website Been Down Most Of The Weekend ?

33 posts in this topic

Virtual Servers won't stop that happening (unless you can migrate them, pretty damn quick). Cloud hosting should.

FubraNOC's postings suggest only a single box as the Network File Server.

Ah I see. I am no techie so be gentle on me !! However I did work on a virtual server project so I have a little knowledge.

A virtual server set up with no back up virtual server to switch over to almost instantly sort of takes away a lot of the benefits of the system. You will still get more effiecient usage of the server - however you won't get any of the back up improvements that are a major part of selling this stuff.

I think - if my memory serves me correctly. :blink:

Going back down again:

fubranoc
Sorry for the extended inconvenience this evening, but we are going to have to take the new NFS server back down to tune some settings. about a minute ago

penny pinching again...NFS clearly means...NOT FOR SALE......so you bought it cheap?

FUBARnoc should be using a highly available storage server / SAN really, otherwise they have created a massive single point of failure for everything in their vcluster.

SAN backed "cloud" style services are very prone to this kind of failure.

Ah I see. I am no techie so be gentle on me !! However I did work on a virtual server project so I have a little knowledge.

A virtual server set up with no back up virtual server to switch over to almost instantly sort of takes away a lot of the benefits of the system. You will still get more effiecient usage of the server - however you won't get any of the back up improvements that are a major part of selling this stuff.

I think - if my memory serves me correctly. :blink:

Yes thats pretty much correct, however if all your virtual servers are hosted on one server, or more likely all the file systems for VS images are, then a hardware or in this case a software problem will take down everything.

Most "cloud" solutions will ensure th e network file storage is fully redundant.

I once worked for a web host who were taken over by another web host, who bragged about how good their £70k investment (I think) in an (unredundant) EMC storage solution was. Until it started locking up of course, and took the entire business down, including helpdesk. B)

Edited by John Steed

Yes thats pretty much correct, however if all your virtual servers are hosted on one server, or more likely all the file systems for VS images are, then a hardware or in this case a software problem will take down everything.

Most "cloud" solutions will ensure th e network file storage is fully redundant.

I once worked for a web host who were taken over by another web host, who bragged about how good their £70k investment (I think) in an (unredundant) EMC storage solution was. Until it started locking up of course, and took the entire business down, including helpdesk. B)

for cloud, read mirror.

This is all too techie for me !!

Rumour has it that a group of angry Estate Agents stole the copper power cable to the HPC Bunker believing the copper was worth more as scrap than they could earn commission selling houses. :D