House Price Crash Forum

Ftse Breaks 5000

buytoilet

HOLA441

I think we should break the site up into two separate ones - ones pro for buytoilet's avatar and another one so we can work out a stalking plan to take him down... lol

Thanks buytoilet - much appreciated.

Looks like it is mainly mining stocks taking down the FTSE 100. I have not looked at the banks yet.

This Greece thing is amazing. They ask for billions to sort them out, get it and then a few days later they ask for more. How much longer can this go on for?

It can go on for as long as the ECB is prepared to give them money. And the ECB will be pressured into lending by politicians who want the Euro to succeed and/or are worried about the economic fallout of it disintegrating so this could take some time ...

As for the 'constantly asking for more' thing, it's quite simple - when you lend, you are the person that's really on the hook (well in theory anyway, hasn't proven to be the case for our corrupt banks of course) not the borrower. The more you lend to someone who is looking like a bad risk, the worse your own position gets but the stronger theirs is. Hence the borrower can put more pressure on for extra funds - "Hey, if you don't cough up another twenty billion there's no way I can pay you back the couple of hundred billion I already owe you".

Hmmm, that's not entirely unlike the current line being pedalled about "We have to borrow more money to grow our way out of this debt crisis" which is being put about by idiots and the media.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Did you think the market would bounce? Why?

Thought there was another dead cat bounce coming and I could make a quick bit of money. Worked a few times in the last few months for me.

I tend to just buy when it seems like the world is about to end on the principle that it cant get much worse and when sentiment rules the markets then overeactions are common and so buying on a "bear day" can really show some good profits when sentiment shifts.

HOLA445

Thought there was another dead cat bounce coming and I could make a quick bit of money. Worked a few times in the last few months for me.

I tend to just buy when it seems like the world is about to end on the principle that it cant get much worse and when sentiment rules the markets then overeactions are common and so buying on a "bear day" can really show some good profits when sentiment shifts.

DOW is hardly down at all - you probably will break even tomorrow if the DOW does not crash later today.

HOLA446

I usually get my fingers burnt when I do that. :)

Edited by _w_

HOLA447

I usually get my fingers burnt when I do that. :)

There are times that after bad days I think it has further to fall. But friday I was rushed because I had to make the trade before I went to work and so stupidly didnt do all the neccessary due care and attention when deciding to buy.

Having said that I dont think buying in at 5180ish (I think) was all that bad. I also been buying into vasious corporate bond/index linked bond etfs recently which I have faith will go higher.

HOLA448

DOW is hardly down at all - you probably will break even tomorrow if the DOW does not crash later today.

More worried about the S&P500 as far as the ftse is concerned personally. And that is down again today. I dont really understand why though, its not like this news out of greece is even relevant. Greece is gone basically so who cares about their deficit targets. A greece default is already priced in.

SO I will probably buy into another etf ftse tracker tomorrow if the ftse opens around/under 5000. Provided no more big news today.

The big monthly us job figure is out friday (I think) and that will be a huge deal.

My view was that the market was underpriced and concerns over global growth were overdone. I felt it was a soft patch/japan problems causing a slight slowdown before the recovery continues. But I didnt figure for the eu politicans being so incompetant. I still think buying into the ftse at 5000 is a good decision right now though, and one I will probably follow tomorrow.

Although obviously I am no expert, and nobody really knows what is going to happen!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

US banks have decided to go down, down, down.

Bank of america showing the rest of the market how you can start a run on your own deposits by implicitly charging negative interest rates. There is a limit to how much your can ass****** your customer base.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA4417

Bank of america showing the rest of the market how you can start a run on your own deposits by implicitly charging negative interest rates. There is a limit to how much your can ass****** your customer base.

and that's not all. They are going to charge a fee to use BOA debit cards :blink:

HOLA4418

and that's not all. They are going to charge a fee to use BOA debit cards :blink:

That's the implcit negative interest bit - i.e. your account will go down if you just use it normally, let alone the real negative interest rates that can so easily fool many into thinking they are keeping their head above water and not being ripped a new one.

Time will tell if they get away with it or they have to backtrack very quickly.

HOLA4419

VIX is 43. NO REASON TO BE IN THE MARKET!

http://www.bloomberg...90-options.html

The biggest quarterly increase ever in the Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index pushed it above 40, a threshold exceeded only three percent of the time in 20 years and a level that has preceded stock rebounds.

Edited by uptherebels

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Well DOW now back at January 2010 levels.

How many market crashes have happened in October? There's even a name for it "The October Effect".

Edited by pl1

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

http://www.bloomberg...90-options.html

The biggest quarterly increase ever in the Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index pushed it above 40, a threshold exceeded only three percent of the time in 20 years and a level that has preceded stock rebounds.

Excellent find. I don't know if that "fund manager" is just being silly or just using double think to spread the wrong information. All one needs to do is overlay a longterm chart S&P with the VIX and work it out themselves. Believe NO ONE. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

Volatile is BAD, Volatile=unpredictable. If the stock went down 10% (D10), and you bought it the next day, and then it went up 10% (UP10), you'd be well pleased.

But what is psychological trauma you go through when the combination is D10,D10,UP10,D10? Could you hold on? Or D10,D10,D10,UP10,UP10,UP10?

Edited by Money Spinner

HOLA4425