House Price Crash Forum

Gordon Brown Is Obsessed With Settling Scores. New Book Out.

eric pebble

HOLA441

I might be sticking my neck on the block.....but he might have been right all along, and could have saved us all.

Sutherland_scream_Invasion_Of_The_Body_Snatchers_Kaufman_1978.jpg

I don't think Gordon could have saved us, whatever he did (even Gordon, a bottle of whiskey and a loaded revolver wouldn't have helped, although it would have cheered me up).

The situation was beyond saving even back then. We're fooked. Utterly and completely. Default is the only option and a pretty rubbish one at that.

HOLA442

The fury of a wounded man: A new book says Gordon Brown is obsessed with settling scores - and convinced he's the only man who can save the world

He is exhibit A if the type of narcissistic megalomaniac attracted to politics.

Btw : what's with the reams of signature screed in many of the HPC posts and the quoting of the entire post in the reply ? It makes for cluttered reading. Probably just me.

HOLA443

Btw : what's with the reams of signature screed in many of the HPC posts and the quoting of the entire post in the reply ? It makes for cluttered reading. Probably just me.

You're new here, aren't you. ;)

Eric 'Liar Loans' Pebble has a special place in HPC folklore.

HOLA444

"if"???? Perhaps you mean "of".... :rolleyes:

You're a new boy here aren't you.... :P

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I might be sticking my neck on the block.....but he might have been right all along, and could have saved us all.

Perhaps the answer was to pump money into public services and expand the economy, allowing the private sector to flourish in time.

How do you want to fund that expansion?

The markets won't lend to us if they don't think they'll get their money back, ask Greece, Portugal etc.

Shall we just print it? Inflation is already running at 5% how high do you want it to go?

Also, the lesson of the last 13 years is that pumping money into public services generates large numbers of managers and non-jobbers on inflated salaries whilst making little real difference to the quality of the service. I'm not sure how that is supposed to help either.

Unfortunately Gormless Brown & Co. spent so wildly in the good times that the bad times will now be worse than they needed to be.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Only because they`re making political mischief. I carry no torch for Gordon Brown, but truly the sums involved were piffling.

Whilst piffling in terms of the UK budget, it would make a nice little nest egg for someone. Not that I'm suggesting that Brown used the opportunity to feather his own nest...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves

I am not Ed Balls, I have never been Ed Balls, I have no plans to be Ed Balls and neither am I his speech writer.

I was in fact exploring the juxtaposition of how what once seemed to be a lot of money was now seemingly very small by using the metaphor of pound and pennies. I was not outlining my new philosophy for national economic prosperity.

That is (b)all(s).

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Yeap and he's not in Prison. :blink:

Screwing his own finances too at least suggests that he wasn't messing up the entire country for his own gain - complete and utter incompetence instead of maliciousness. Then it's simply a matter that we should've been looking at him with pity in the loony bin instead of in horror in No. 10.

HOLA4418

Screwing his own finances too at least suggests that he wasn't messing up the entire country for his own gain - complete and utter incompetence instead of maliciousness. Then it's simply a matter that we should've been looking at him with pity in the loony bin instead of in horror in No. 10.

You really think Gordon Brown isn't raking it in? He may plead poverty but......

".......the handout is on top of his generous expenses as an MP.

He was paid £84,000 of the little known Public Duty Costs Allowance in 2010/11 and is entitled to a further £115,000 this year.

The state handouts, set up by John Major in 1991 to help the recently deposed Margaret Thatcher, are offered to all former prime ministers for work such as answering letters or attending public events.

Figures obtained under the Freedom of Information Act show that since 2006 Mr Brown, Tony Blair, Mr Major and Baroness Thatcher claimed a total of £1.4million.

In 2010/11 Mr Brown received £172,000 in salary and MP’s office expenses but made just one speech in the Commons.

Mr Brown’s Commons register of interests shows that over the past 12 months, he was paid £630,000 for speeches to banks and other organisations......"

The a$$hole is doing just fine. And there's inevitably more besides.

HOLA4419

You really think Gordon Brown isn't raking it in? He may plead poverty but......

Debt, not poverty. You can get into debt if you're a complete and utter idiot no matter how much you're raking in. Blair always came across as someone with another agenda, Brown more as someone utterly out of his depth.

HOLA4420

Although many following this thread express their disgust at this man they did nothing at the last election to see him bought to justice.

It took me a lot of courage to vote nuliebour and I just wish that a few more people had wanted justice as much as I do. It would have been so sweet to see the whole bunch of them thoroughly rogered. I would also have forced wishy washy cameron to man up which would have seen a real change for good.

HOLA4421

Debt, not poverty. You can get into debt if you're a complete and utter idiot no matter how much you're raking in. Blair always came across as someone with another agenda, Brown more as someone utterly out of his depth.

His personal debt, I mean. Where is the evidence for that? The income stream articulated earlier should go a long way to sorting it, anyway.

HOLA4422