102 replies to this topic

#76 guitarman001

guitarman001

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Why do people assume that as soon as you buy a house you immediately want the price to shoot up?

Any sensible, rational thinking person would realise that (assuming they intend to move to a larger house at some stage) it is better for them to fall to close the gap between your house and the bigger house.

Are there no sensible, rational thinking people in the UK, or does everyone have a BTL?

Just COMPLETE idiots in the UK judging by the state of things.

#77 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,115 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Are there no sensible, rational thinking people in the UK, or does everyone have a BTL?

Everyone has a silver BMW.
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#78 newbie

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

I think "career politicians" are a real problem. No experience of the real world at all.
I don't think this was the case some years back. Politics was an interest, and a civic duty, not a career to the Victorians, or maybe not!
Please discuss.

Anyway Mr builder, I bought a Martin acoustic recently, and it's very wooden indeed!

But many Victorian politicians were career politicians: Eton - Oxbridge - Parliament was the typical route, perhaps with a year or two at the Bar but without any real practice or real world experience. Eg. Britain's greatest PM Gladstone entered Parliament at 23 after following this.

#79 Chuffy Chuffnell

Chuffy Chuffnell

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:20 PM

Why do people assume that as soon as you buy a house you immediately want the price to shoot up?

Any sensible, rational thinking person would realise that (assuming they intend to move to a larger house at some stage) it is better for them to fall to close the gap between your house and the bigger house.

I love explaining exactly what you've just pointed out (I go through an example showing 1% HPI v 10% HPI and how it's easier to "climb the ladder" with 1% - ie a 100k house and a 200k house and how the gap between those two prices will grow more with higher HPI and therefore become harder to "climb") and people are amazed. It's like they've just been given forbidden knowledge. And yet it's just f**king basic maths! **GAAH!!**

Edited by Chuffy Chuffnell, 22 September 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#80 Traktion

Traktion

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,278 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

A ridiculous vested interest article. Enough said.

See... just like lefty arguments. They use dumbed down emotional blackmail.

'These BAD people are PREYING on hard working PEOPLE who are losing MONEY. how DARE they. BAD people'

Pathetic. House price inflation has ruined the country. The sooner they come down, the better for all.

Ofc, stealing stuff from people and threatening them with violence, is absolutely fine!
Hayek: Denationalisation of Money - Competing, alternative currencies and breaking the money monopolies.
Bitcoin - Free market, distributed, open source, e-currency.
Against Intellectual Monopoly - Stop the rent seeking through legal monopoly.
Freedomain Radio - Philosophical commentary and debate.
Khan Academy - Free market education, funded by voluntary donations.
Community Land Licencing - A distributed, non-state, alternative to land value taxation.

#81 newbonic

newbonic

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

But many Victorian politicians were career politicians: Eton - Oxbridge - Parliament was the typical route, perhaps with a year or two at the Bar but without any real practice or real world experience. Eg. Britain's greatest PM Gladstone entered Parliament at 23 after following this.

Well you could hardly have had a comp or grammar school kid in the days when the plebs were mostly working in mills of coal mines, or on a farm, could you.

edit for gibberish gramer

Edited by newbonic, 22 September 2011 - 10:53 PM.

"There are only two basic items in the world economy - food and fuel. All the rest are secondary...there is no substitute for energy; the whole edifice of modern life is build upon it." E F Schumacher

#82 newbie

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

Well you could hardly have had an comp or grammar school kids in the days when the plebs were mostly working in mills of coal mines, or on a farm, could you.

When Gladstone first became an MP (before the Reform Acts he helped put through) you had to own property to be able to vote. The plebs didn't even get to vote let alone stand a chance of being MPs.

#83 right_freds_dead

right_freds_dead

northern scum

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,560 posts
  • About Me:Tin Foil

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:42 AM

When Gladstone first became an MP (before the Reform Acts he helped put through) you had to own property to be able to vote. The plebs didn't even get to vote let alone stand a chance of being MPs.

i would be cartain there was strong resitance to that at the time.
i am boethius. author of the consolation of philosophy. it is my belief that fortune is a wheel. inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel. rise up on my spokes if you like, but dont complain when your cast back down into the depths. good times pass away, but then so do the bad. mutability is our tragedy, but its also our hope. the worst of the times, like the best. are always passing away.

#84 dredwerker

dredwerker

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

I love explaining exactly what you've just pointed out (I go through an example showing 1% HPI v 10% HPI and how it's easier to "climb the ladder" with 1% - ie a 100k house and a 200k house and how the gap between those two prices will grow more with higher HPI and therefore become harder to "climb") and people are amazed. It's like they've just been given forbidden knowledge. And yet it's just f**king basic maths! **GAAH!!**

I feel your pain and you made me chuckle :)
Current price should never be confused with value.
-- Toadie on the comments section of Moneyweek on the secret HPC

#85 ccc

ccc

I make myself sick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,787 posts
  • About Me:German Girl avatar - http://www.nerve.com/files/archive/theremoteisland/2009/02/german-girl-10.jpg

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

Yep I always use the example of a 100K flat and moving to a 200k flat.

Bascially if the price doubles - everyone THINK they have 'made' 100k - when in fact in terms of payments they have 'lost' 100k

When you explain this most simple of thing sto people it is like they have just been told some amazing fact.
"****** you - you carwash ****"

March 2007 - Suzy Essman.

#86 Riedquat

Riedquat

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

Yep I always use the example of a 100K flat and moving to a 200k flat.

Bascially if the price doubles - everyone THINK they have 'made' 100k - when in fact in terms of payments they have 'lost' 100k

When you explain this most simple of thing sto people it is like they have just been told some amazing fact.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I assume that that's so obvious that I don't mention it and think that there must be something else going on that I've not worked out.

#87 ccc

ccc

I make myself sick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,787 posts
  • About Me:German Girl avatar - http://www.nerve.com/files/archive/theremoteisland/2009/02/german-girl-10.jpg

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I assume that that's so obvious that I don't mention it and think that there must be something else going on that I've not worked out.

Nope - people are not told this - they are constantly bomabred with the 'High house prices are good for everyone' message. I tisnot a surprise that so many think it. I it brainwashing. Pure and simple. And I do not say that in any TFH way either. People in the UK are brainwashed. Luckily it is starting to wear off. VERY slowly though. 10 years of brainwashing is not going to be over in a couple of years. :(
"****** you - you carwash ****"

March 2007 - Suzy Essman.

#88 Lepista

Lepista

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts
  • About Me:A 60% falls from peak bear.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

Amusingly, todays topic is how to cash in on stock market falls

But while uncertainty has made caution the overriding factor in many investors' decisions, with many surely dominated by the noise of "market crash" headlines - the flipside is that this turmoil creates opportunities for savvy bargain hunters.

Oh, the Irony.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing sedates rationality like large doses of effortless money. After a heady experience of that kind, normally sensible behaviour drift into behaviour akin to that of Cinderella at the ball. They know that overstaying the festivities...will eventually bring on pumpkins and mice. But they nevertheless hate to miss a single minute of what is a helluva party. Therefore, the giddy participants all plan to leave just seconds before midnight. There's a problem, though: They are dancing in a room in which the clocks have no hands."

My favorite post ever:
By Ruffles the Guinea Pig

#89 Chuffy Chuffnell

Chuffy Chuffnell

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

Oh, the Irony.

Superb! :lol:

#90 newbie

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

Oh, the Irony.

But what about the poor sharebuyers who have over-extended themselves and stand to lose their shares? They have school fees to pay, mortgages to service, BMW lease payments to cover. These heartless 'bargain hunters' want to buy their shares on the cheap and derive such joy at the prospect of making a quick dime out of someone else's misery!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users