Inside The 'house Price Crash' Community

HOLA441
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I'm a home owner too with my mortgage pretty much paid off.

I am against high property prices because I believe them to be harmful to the general wealth,health and happiness of the country.

If I rent a shop selling cakes and my fixed costs are £1 per cake then I can sell them for £2 and can make a decent living.

If my fixed costs are £2 per cake as my rent is so high then either you have to pay £3 for the cake or I no longer have a viable business.

The extra £1 per cake you are paying doesn't go to me it is simply used to destroy £1 of credit that was advanced into the economy by a bank.

A stupid system everyone should be against.

HOLA443

I'm a home owner too with my mortgage pretty much paid off.

I'm almost a homeowner in the sense that I have a small mortgage outstanding (might hang onto the debt just in case there's a re-set!). I still want a HPC though for the sake of my kids.

Also, cheaper house and commercial property prices will help get genuine wealth creating businesses off the ground: Paper values of houses doubling every decade is pure 24 carat fools gold.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm almost a homeowner in the sense that I have a small mortgage outstanding (might hang onto the debt just in case there's a re-set!). I still want a HPC though for the sake of my kids.

Also, cheaper house and commercial property prices will help get genuine wealth creating businesses off the ground: Paper values of houses doubling every decade is pure 24 carat fools gold.

How right you are....would agree with the keeping a few pounds outstanding, you never know when you may need easy access to it...play them at their own game......I agree that where we went wrong is to encourage free money made from houses, instead of real growth and productivity through viable profitable businesses....now all we have is stagnation in both....who needed the small businesses to grow when we had houses to make us rich with no effort whatsoever. ;)

HOLA446

HPC is a great community which looks a bigger topics, not just house prices. Did they ever mention the Express and their regular property ramping front pages? I don't see any other body of people challenging this powerful media force.

A few people here seem to understand economics better than the politicians, and the BoE.

I've learned a lot, and it is unwise to try to label such people as us, since we are all different,

HOLA447
HOLA448

I know, and it was earned by so much hard work as well. :rolleyes:

they see things backwards.

that equity gain, is the new purchasers loss, and that loss is the only loss that had to be 'earned' with hard work and wages. the other is just a figment of a spivs imagination.

the ignorance you see around today, its almost too hard to take its measure.

HOLA449

What the author omitted to mention is that HPC is a group of concerned citizens who saw through the hype of HPI and warned about the inevitable catastrope only to be mocked and ridiculed for their foresight.

For sure we want to see lower property prices, but HPC isn't merely so named out of vested interest on our part. HousePriceCrash is so named because we saw that such an event was an inevitability unless property price increases were restrained. They weren't.

Instead of dealing with the HPI problem before it became too big to tackle the authorities acquiesced, intoxicated by the prospect of a few extra percent profits. (Remember Mervyn King's punch-bowl analogy?)

So now, for the umpteenth time in since late 2007, we stand on the brink of global financial oblivion.

FTSE closed today 4.67% down.

Edited by nmarks

HOLA4410

they see things backwards.

that equity gain, is the new purchasers loss, and that loss is the only loss that had to be 'earned' with hard work and wages. the other is just a figment of a spivs imagination.

the ignorance you see around today, its almost too hard to take its measure.

High debt keeps people working to pay it........less debt means people can work less unless they are not satisfied and want more, therefore more money in your pocket more children with mothers at home, less stress, more contentment, better standard of living and a better quality of life. ;)

HOLA4411

What the author omitted to mention is that HPC is a group of concerned citizens who saw through the hype of HPI and warned about the inevitable catastrope only to be mocked and ridiculed for their foresight.

For sure we want to see lower property prices, but HPC isn't merely so named out of vested interest on our part. HousePriceCrash is so named because we saw that such an event was an inevitability unless property price increases were restrained. They weren't.

Instead of dealing with the HPI problem before it became too big to tackle the authorities acquiesced, intoxicated by the prospect of a few extra percent profits. (Remember Mervyn King's punch-bowl analogy?)

So now, for the umpteenth time in three years, we stand on the brink of global financial oblivion.

FTSE closed today 4.67% down.

knock knock..

whos there ?

reasonable house prices ?

reasonable house prices who ?

financial oblivion....

HOLA4412

High debt keeps people working to pay it........less debt means people can work less unless they are not satisfied and want more, therefore more money in your pocket more children with mothers at home, less stress, more contentment, better standard of living and a better quality of life. ;)

id agree this is how it has been since property began. however, what changed this time is they allowed the general public to hop on with magic money. usually property investment was for people who had earned it and wanted to invest it. simly getting there first in the fools gold rush with a BTL loan doesnt cut it, and so it overheated.

they knew. i wrote to gordon brown in 03 with a warning, whacked him with that on the vine show around the last election. they knew what they were doing. what they failed to do is stop it as it bought votes, and the sociopath brown wanted power. at any cost.

here is the cost.

HOLA4413

Basically contributors appear to be frustrated would-be first-time buyers who resent renting and are hoping prices will "crash" so they can cash in. Presumably if any of these people eventually buy a property they abandon the site and look for one that talks up the property market.

For the record I have been a mortgagee (on my main residence) continuously since 1996, and I still am. In case you were too brain dead to notice, there's more to house prices than "which group of blinkered vested interests are cashing in (at the cost of the other group)".... i couldn't give two ******s about BTL landlords or first time buyers, but i do care about the macro-economic situation - and i care about it more than whether or not my home is worth more or less than it was yesterday (it's worth the same to me)

And either way, you can't get balance without looking at all the arguments, you imbicile.

Edited by pilchardthecat

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

And people working to pay off their debt means more profits generated for those for whom they work. See how the system works? Indebtedness is the stick that's needed to keep the workers working. Otherwise they'd demand too much carrot!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

And people working to pay off their debt means more profits generated for those for whom they work. See how the system works? Indebtedness is the stick that's needed to keep the workers working. Otherwise they'd demand too much carrot!

...but with less debt more people only need to work part time or less hours..the people they work for still get the same man hours but it is divided more evenly.....cheaper prices, less benefits. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Basically contributors appear to be frustrated would-be first-time buyers who resent renting and are hoping prices will "crash" so they can cash in.

Ah, not exactly. I'm a boomer who paid off his mortgage years ago, I've no intention of selling either. There's a few more of us here as well, as seen when we struggle to defend against the "Grannie stole my money" arguments.

I've got children (actually, adult children) who would dearly like to buy a house TO LIVE IN not an investment (that site is an investment site, correct?).

They're hypocritical scum.

HOLA4420

It's like reading the mind of a prehistoric witch doctor who has just witnessed open heart surgery,

and is struggling to interpret it in terms of ritual chanting and magical hats.

Fascinating.

My thoughts exactly. So many of these critical outsiders (including Kirsty) think hpc.co.uk exists to "talk down the market", as if sentiment is the only thing that dictates house prices. I suppose that's kind of true during a bubble, but where we're going sentiment will be the last thing on anybody's mind...

HOLA4421

well said mr pin.

buy yourself another guitar.

i am sure if hpc could form a goverment we could do a better job.

I don't think you are far wrong with that, unlike the career politician, many here have perspective and experience in the real world.

Ours was to wonder why, maybe not to do or die.

HOLA4422

" I didn't ask for sunshine and I got world war three "

What drew me here initially was the hope that others could see the housing market was nothing more than a Ponzi scheme.

Actually, thats not quite the case, before this site I had never heard of a Ponzi scheme, or a Black Swan, Credit Default Swaps, or any of the other economic " things " that became common here but were unheard of in mainstream media.

The whole banking crisis, public sector rebalancing, pensions crisis, gold, tin-hat wearing, baked bean buying, anarchy with riots in the streets, Euro demise, Lehmans, HBOS, Northern Rock, BTL, money printing, inflation, stagnation, pissed-off nation, and everything else that was discussed on HPC long before it was accepted as possible, let alone likely.

From the very beginning, when even printing out HousePriceCrash.co.uk flyers and posting them through estate agents letter boxes, or leaving them on work desks seemed positively revolutionary, straight through the gripping CGNAO mysticism and beyond, this place has always been about far more than just house prices,or maybe it is the very fact that ALL of this current world economic crisis has been caused by chasing up house prices.

Is it contained yet ?

HOLA4423

I don't think you are far wrong with that, unlike the career politician, many here have perspective and experience in the real world.

Ours was to wonder why, maybe not to do or die.

I think "career politicians" are a real problem. No experience of the real world at all.

I don't think this was the case some years back. Politics was an interest, and a civic duty, not a career to the Victorians, or maybe not!

Please discuss.

Anyway Mr builder, I bought a Martin acoustic recently, and it's very wooden indeed!

HOLA4424

A ridiculous vested interest article. Enough said.

See... just like lefty arguments. They use dumbed down emotional blackmail.

'These BAD people are PREYING on hard working PEOPLE who are losing MONEY. how DARE they. BAD people'

Pathetic. House price inflation has ruined the country. The sooner they come down, the better for all.

HOLA4425

Why do people assume that as soon as you buy a house you immediately want the price to shoot up?

Any sensible, rational thinking person would realise that (assuming they intend to move to a larger house at some stage) it is better for them to fall to close the gap between your house and the bigger house.

Are there no sensible, rational thinking people in the UK, or does everyone have a BTL?