House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

They are partly a "blue peter" vaccines, based on research into a SARS vaccine. This was worked on for several years but never completed as SARS was eradicated.

We will all have to let it play out for a few months as it will take longer than that to get yhe UK program in full swing.

90% effective, 95% effective , they leave four words out......................for those that lived.   no way me or my family is going near them, that's what the plebs are for, no vaccine, no benefits.  Testy testy. 

HOLA442

So what are they going to do with your gold then? Destroy it? Collect it all and send it into space? 

Confiscate it. The Gold Reserve Act 1934, you are hereby required to surrender all gold and gold certificate and transfer them to the sole title of the United States Department of the Treasury. 

Do not underestimate how far the government would go. They have done it before and they can do it again. 

HOLA443

Confiscate it. The Gold Reserve Act 1934, you are hereby required to surrender all gold and gold certificate and transfer them to the sole title of the United States Department of the Treasury. 

Do not underestimate how far the government would go. They have done it before and they can do it again. 

We don't live in the USA... #justsaying

HOLA444

1. They didn't confiscate gold. They forced conversion into dollars at a 30% discount. (Or else confiscation). 

2. They couldn't do it so successfully again. These days there's no faith in the dollar. 

3. Police would be only too happy to organise a shake down for gold house to house in the same way they do with drugs (or did until recently). But people will just swop it for something that is still legal (but not dollars), like jewellery or ammunition. And the gold will just be smuggled out of the country. 

So I doubt it would work these days. 

HOLA445
HOLA446

True. But then in January I doubted the government would ever be able to tell me to wear a mask, tell when and where I can go out and tell me how many relatives I can see at Christmas.

Nothing is risk free... NOTHING. Choose your least risky asset wisely.

Edited by warpig

HOLA447

Nothing is risk free... NOTHING. Choose your least risky asset wisely.

Hmmm....now that’s a real thinker.😉

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

90% effective, 95% effective , they leave four words out......................for those that lived.   no way me or my family is going near them, that's what the plebs are for, no vaccine, no benefits.  Testy testy. 

So you would rather take your chances with a new virus that has killed over a million people and for others has so far unknown long term effects, than vaccines that together have been tested in over 100,000 people with zero serious side effects. 

Seems like a bit of a logic fail, the plebs will be those incapable of carrying out a relative risk passement because they have bought into or been influenced by antivax nonsense.

HOLA4413

have bought into or been influenced by antivax nonsense.

It's sensible to be cautious. New medicines are not risk free... that's why the government will give you a one time payment of £120k (Tax Free!!!!) if you're disabled by this vaccine. Actually I've just checked and you're not entitled... it's not on the list... guess that means it's risk free!

https://www.gov.uk/vaccine-damage-payment/eligibility

HOLA4414

It's sensible to be cautious. New medicines are not risk free... that's why the government will give you a one time payment of £120k (Tax Free!!!!) if you're disabled by this vaccine. Actually I've just checked and you're not entitled... it's not on the list... guess that means it's risk free!

https://www.gov.uk/vaccine-damage-payment/eligibility

It's just a matter of balancing risks, I am in my 50s so the known risk, never mind the unknowns risks, from the virus are massively greater than even the riskiest of vaccines, so for me its a no brainer.

If I was in my 20s it would require a bit more thought.   

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4415

It's just a matter of balancing risks, I am in my 50s so the known risk, never mind the unknowns risks, from the virus are massively greater than even the riskiest of vaccines, so for me its a no brainer.

If I was in my 20s it would require a bit more thought.   

Unknown risks will be greater than the risk presented by the virus for some. Personally I'd prefer a real death than a living death. You shouldn't denigrate people for having an opposing vaccine view to yourself. I'm against certain vaccines, not all. Additionally our bodies are sovereign and everyone has the right to choose.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Hearing a lot of word from people moving from Gold into BTC.

I doubt very much it will be at the expense of gold, but I dare say some will want to take advantage of BTC moving as gold should. I'm an example of this... I know it's very late in the day and I don't believe the future of the non-state created cryptos has a long term future, but I'm going to have a small punt on a pullback. 

HOLA4418

I doubt very much it will be at the expense of gold, but I dare say some will want to take advantage of BTC moving as gold should. I'm an example of this... I know it's very late in the day and I don't believe the future of the non-state created cryptos has a long term future, but I'm going to have a small punt on a pullback. 

Whats a Pullback? Must be a Gold thing. We did drop back to $18k  BTC a few days ago, but you have missed that now. If we close today above $19k, will be off to $20k BTC by weeks end.

there is 3 x more demand than supply, and it's only getting worse every day.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Looks like the decoupling of gold and Bitcoin continues:

Gold extends drop as Bitcoin nears all time high

Gold continued to decouple from Bitcoin and the stock markets, losing further ground today in favour of more risk-sensitive assets

https://www.thinkmarkets.com/uk/market-news/november-2020/gold-extends-drop-as-bitcoin-nears-all-time-high/?page=1

As I said before the goldbugs I know are actively rejigging their portfolios.

HOLA4424

Looks like the decoupling of gold and Bitcoin continues:

Gold extends drop as Bitcoin nears all time high

Gold continued to decouple from Bitcoin and the stock markets, losing further ground today in favour of more risk-sensitive assets

https://www.thinkmarkets.com/uk/market-news/november-2020/gold-extends-drop-as-bitcoin-nears-all-time-high/?page=1

As I said before the goldbugs I know are actively rejigging their portfolios.

You know full well the bugs won't sell their gold ever... they're going to need a very strong coffin at their funeral

HOLA4425