House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442

Ben Bernanke Just Murdered The Gold Standard

Where to begin? I love the slides by the way, really easy to follow (although thegfold bars don't look very realistic. You would think they would just use a picture of an actual gold bar). :P

The economy was far more volatile under the gold standard (all the depressions and recessions back in the pre-Fed days)

The USA was not under a true gold standard when the Wall Street Crash happened. A real gold standard was what we had during the victorian period where the Bank of England kept gold reserves equal to every bank note in existance. The gold standard maintained one of the greatest price stabilities ever seen. Just look at what has happened to the value of the dollar (and other currencies) after they completely cut their link with gold. The economic problems of the time were not related to the fact that a currency was linked to a commodity.

The gold standard ends up linking everyone's currencies, causing policy in one country to transmit to another country

This has happend anyway without the gold standard where most currencies are now linked to the price of the dollar.

The money supply is determined by the supply of gold

Under the gold standard that Bernanke is referring to more money could, and was, created. All it means is that the value of the dollar decreases as the government was never able to exchange gold equivalent to all the dollars in existance anyway.

Antbody care to continue? The comments at the bottom are fantastic.

This stock market keeps going up. Bernanke is held in record high esteem by wall st. , the media, the economic pundits because he saved the economy , when everyone expected him to fail.

http://seekingalpha.com/user/926530/instablog/full_index

There is a positive correlation between successful policy and public dissaproval. The masses, the bloggers don't always know what is best for the economy, and vastly overestimate the likelyhood policy failure. Geithner, Bernanke,Congress, Merkel & Sarkozy, among the least popular people on the economic & political blogosphere, defied the endless nitpicking and gloom, crafting successful policy that has staved of potential crisis and prolonged panic.

:lol:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I don't have the enthusiasm to search the BIS or WGC websites for the raw data to prove it to you. Why isn't a selection of articles from Reuters, Bloomberg or the FT conclusive enough for you?

So, not exactly representative nor conclusive.

Do you have a direct link to something authoritative or just nutjob sites?

HOLA448

Do you not want to read different opinions?

If you just want to read stuff that reinforces your views, you probably know where to go.

Up or down...It does not matter to me. The end is not here yet.

So who's view actually needs reinforcing?

I'm sure the poster is capable of answering without your help.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

DYOR.

You provided a 'search'. It went off and cleverly typed the search. I read the first one which I quoted back to you above.

I asked you if you could not provide a more direct link that you felt proved your point.

You claim a list of sources that do: Reuters, Bloomberg, FT. Well, the FT didn't prove anything. I am loathe to read all the others, especially as presumably you have.

Can you help us all and give one single authoritative link that we can read to prove your point. Clearly a newspaper article is not as good as proper industry source stats but if that is all you have, then please provide that. Otherwise we could all waste a lot of time.

I'm not calling you a liar. It is just that this is a point of contention and I would like to see who is 'right' and under what parameters they have chosen.

Edited by warpig

HOLA4412

He is not the one complaining about the content being posted.

I object to anyone on here who tries to imply to anyone else they should not post a particular view.

All TMT did was post some info that some people might have found useful. If you don't like it, just ignore it.

Do you object to the above?

I simply asked TMT a question...I expect you found his answer to be very mature.

HOLA4413

chart.jpg

That slide is as weird as anything a gold bug has ever produced. :lol:

And the cruelest irony if the US were to be crucified on a strong dollar [or perhaps justice]. They might have to resort to gold, and against the market, in order to devalue.

It took a depression to take the dollar of gold, it might take another one to put it back on. :lol:

Edited by roman holiday

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

One answer could be his regular wages are kept in an account until the dips.......he doesn`t necessarily have to hold a lot of fiat capital..

Errol's been advocating buying for ages and talking about currency collapse so I assumed he wouldn't have been saving massive amounts. That's why I asked if he had a house. I wondered if he was going to sell that to "really jump in".

Given his posts it's hard to imagine he has anything other than Gold, hence surprising at this stage he wants it to drop to £600 to "really jump in".

I'm not suggesting he might not be right about gold, I'm merely trying to connect his posts to some sort of holding in gold and not finding it easy. The General is/was another major gold bull but in the end declared he had held a mortgage free house, so not really practising as he preached.

If I see horse tipsters on TV the ones I listen to are the ones who I know put their own money on their selections. Not someone like the Daily Mirror gimp who admits he hardly bets and I suspect when he does his stake is quite low.

HOLA4420

My 6 year old son does this. He invests more effort in explaining why he can't do something than just doing it himself, he can't see the futility of it but I suppose he can be excused given his age.

Don't be so lazy. Engage in the debate by backing up your assertions with some data.

HOLA4421

My 6 year old son does this. He invests more effort in explaining why he can't do something than just doing it himself, he can't see the futility of it but I suppose he can be excused given his age.

What is it with you gold bulls? First we have JohnLennon with his "gold bears have a small *****" schtick just before gold crashes another 10% or whatever, now you with one line responses and the "I don't need to supply data and if you ask for it, that means you are a primary school kid" tosh. Why do you all need to be so obnoxious?

HOLA4422

You've been informed what to search for and where to search for it and you then have the audacity to call me lazy and obnoxious, because I won't do your due diligence. Does that really seem logical to you?

What is it with you gold bulls? First we have JohnLennon with his "gold bears have a small *****" schtick just before gold crashes another 10% or whatever, now you with one line responses and the "I don't need to supply data and if you ask for it, that means you are a primary school kid" tosh. Why do you all need to be so obnoxious?

HOLA4423

I'm not suggesting he might not be right about gold, I'm merely trying to connect his posts to some sort of holding in gold and not finding it easy. The General is/was another major gold bull but in the end declared he had held a mortgage free house, so not really practising as he preached.

If I see horse tipsters on TV the ones I listen to are the ones who I know put their own money on their selections. Not someone like the Daily Mirror gimp who admits he hardly bets and I suspect when he does his stake is quite low.

I have often wondered how much money exactly the goldbugs are committing to their view to judge how serious they actually are. Anyone honest enough to admit how much they have invested in gold on here? I'll go first, a big fat zero having sold my 5k of holdings last week.

HOLA4424

I have often wondered how much money exactly the goldbugs are committing to their view to judge how serious they actually are. Anyone honest enough to admit how much they have invested in gold on here? I'll go first, a big fat zero having sold my 5k of holdings last week.

That would be interesting. I bet it's not those who hold the most that shout the loudest.

HOLA4425

I don't own any gold or silver at the moment.

I bought allocated both end Dec/early Jan. 80% silver and 20% gold but sold everything apart from the profit in Feb before the Greek bailout was agreed so sold too early but I thought the downside risk might be higher than the upside. I sold the free ounces that represented the profits the day before silver fell 5%.