Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie Don't Surf

Where In Plymouth - Near University

12 posts in this topic

I'm possibly going back to uni for a 4 years next year. I'd be in Plymouth and would [i]possibly [/i]buy a 2 bed place to live in and rent out a room.

Now, I realise Plymouth has improved over recent years but I was wondering where to consider and where to avoid like the bubonic plague.

Thanks in advance

[quote name='Charlie Don't Surf' timestamp='1308058590' post='3021312']
I'm possibly going back to uni for a 4 years next year. I'd be in Plymouth and would [i]possibly [/i]buy a 2 bed place to live in and rent out a room.
Now, I realise Plymouth has improved over recent years but I was wondering where to consider and where to avoid like the bubonic plague.
Thanks in advance
[/quote]
Take out insurance against them going bust, they're on the list of universities in danger of this I believe.
Property still well overpriced relative to local incomes I think.
I looked at a 2-bed flat in Mutley in 1994, priced at 26k, could have probably got it for 22/23K. People in Plymouth don't earn 3-4 times what they earned in 1994(which was s*d all at the time)

Not going to suggest areas: it depends on what you like, and what you need. A lot of student-land is actually rather nice (at least, comparatively speaking).

Worth noting though: Plimuff is one of those cities where you expect to get a better deal buying than renting. In contrast to surrounding rural areas, where you pay no more (sometimes less) to rent, yet twice as much to buy.

Anything West of the City Centre is a no no.
Some parts of Lipson, e.g. around Salisbury rd are worth a look for Uni proximity, ( 20 min stroll ). Nice terraced houses, relatively safe at night.

[quote name='bricor mortis' timestamp='1312485573' post='3074942']
[/quote]
Er, why?

You got a vested interest in students not coming to Stoke or Devonport?

[quote name='bricor mortis' timestamp='1312485573' post='3074942']
Some parts of Lipson, e.g. around Salisbury rd are worth a look for Uni proximity, ( 20 min stroll ). Nice terraced houses, relatively safe at night.
[/quote]

Agree with this. I used to live just up the road from Salisbury Road and it was mostly OK. Not the sort of place you park a nice car on the street but you won't be in fear of your life either.

[quote name='porca misèria' timestamp='1313047796' post='3084163']
Er, why?

You got a vested interest in students not coming to Stoke or Devonport?
[/quote]

No.
Just most private housing areas that would be an easy plod to the Uni that would be on my list of places I would [b]not[/b] wish to inhabit would be to the West side of Plymouth. Stonehouse and Demport in particular. Stoke area is tolerable but not so convenient for the uni ,eg stoke village, bit of a long walk.

[quote name='bricor mortis' timestamp='1319646360' post='3160020']
No.
Just most private housing areas that would be an easy plod to the Uni that would be on my list of places I would [b]not[/b] wish to inhabit would be to the West side of Plymouth. Stonehouse and Demport in particular. Stoke area is tolerable but not so convenient for the uni ,eg stoke village, bit of a long walk.
[/quote]
Agreed, my student self would've been far too impatient to do that walk on a regular basis. That's why I had a bike when I was at Girton, a couple of miles out from Cambridge. Stoke Village to Plymouth Uni is a shorter distance, though perhaps a slightly longer bike ride due to hills. But they're only little hills, nothing to worry about!

Never quite got my head around Stonehouse. Lots of scary-looking stuff alongside some beautiful buildings. And then there's Royal William Yard, with some of Plymouth's most expensive addresses. Devonport too: don't you see some traces of Islington syndrome there?

Also slightly west of centre, Pennycomequick looks acceptable, and the area around Wilton street is I think technically Stoke but also pretty central.

[quote name='porca misèria' timestamp='1319876126' post='3162236']
Also slightly west of centre, Pennycomequick looks acceptable, and the area around Wilton street is I think technically Stoke but also pretty central.
[/quote]

Stoke is a mixed bag, some nice streets some rubbish. Wilton Street Its a lot better since that crack/smack house got cleared out a few years back. You might want to stay away from Victoria Park at night though :-)

I always went for mutley in my younger years but most of the people I know who went uni there lived in St Judes. Give that a try. No pubs there though (part of the original land sale conditions by Lady Astor I believe).

[quote name='captain_mandrake' timestamp='1321810304' post='3184053']
Stoke is a mixed bag, some nice streets some rubbish. Wilton Street Its a lot better since that crack/smack house got cleared out a few years back. You might want to stay away from Victoria Park at night though :-)

I always went for mutley in my younger years but most of the people I know who went uni there lived in St Judes. Give that a try. No pubs there though (part of the original land sale conditions by Lady Astor I believe).
[/quote]
Mutley and St Judes (and Lipson) both look like decent-enough mixed areas. Around Greenbank looks student-dominated to the extent of suffering from it.

Now you mention it, I'm slightly curious about North Hill. Some nice-enough looking places (like Shaftesbury Cottages or Skardon Place) looking infeasibly cheap: are they blighted for non-students by student life?

[quote name='porca misèria' timestamp='1321950640' post='3185764']
Mutley and St Judes (and Lipson) both look like decent-enough mixed areas. Around Greenbank looks student-dominated to the extent of suffering from it.

Now you mention it, I'm slightly curious about North Hill. Some nice-enough looking places (like Shaftesbury Cottages or Skardon Place) looking infeasibly cheap: are they blighted for non-students by student life?
[/quote]

Parking can be the issue there, ( lack of )
Also students as you mention that.

As mortis said, parking can be a nightmare on North Hill. You're right next to the uni and a load of student bars, especially ride/cuba and fuel (might have changed names in the many years since I was last in any of them!) and the all night Spar. If that's not your thing I'd give it a miss.