Photo
- - - - -

Britons With Holiday Homes In France Face 700-A-Year Tax As Sarkozy Looks To Raise Cash

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 pyracantha

pyracantha

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

Seems fair enough to me. So there are 360,000 properties not available to French "hard working families". Holiday homes create ghost towns as locals can't afford to buy.

Just in case anyone misunderstood, I put HWF in speech marks as I was using the term ironically.

#17 Surf's Up

Surf's Up

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

"It would see a typical holiday homeowner with a 350,000 house pay 700 a year."

That's how much a "typical" second home in France costs? Or is this just a modest tax on typical homes, but the Mail decides 700 quid is the point at which outrage starts to kick in and 350K has to be painted as typical?

#18 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,099 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

Seems fair enough to me. So there are 360,000 properties not available to French "hard working families". Holiday homes create ghost towns as locals can't afford to buy.

What's to stop them renting out the UK home or just moving to France to spend their money? ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#19 pyracantha

pyracantha

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

What's to stop them renting out the UK home or just moving to France to spend their money? ;)

Exactly. As far as I know, nobody has ever been forced into buying a holiday home.

#20 copydude

copydude

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Exactly. As far as I know, nobody has ever been forced into buying a holiday home.

I think this is an ill-researched article. 'Figures suggest' . . . well, you can find out exactly if you have a mind to.

Brits have been buying retirement - particularly in the Dordogne and Aquitaine - since the days of the 'silver haired rich', when pensions were worth something in the 1970s.

My parents bought a place for retirement in the Lot et Garonne. Actually this town would not exist if, first, Italians hadn't been given land to farm after the depopulation following war and, second, Brits hadn't arrived to keep local builders merchants, masons and what have you in employment.

I think this has more to do with those renting places as holiday properties and avoiding taxes. The 'Buy to let in France' mob.

Genuine retired couples are - and have been - suffering far more from the devaluation of the pound.

#21 oligotroph

oligotroph

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

first of all heres a link from an actual newspaper:

http://www.telegraph...-tax-QandA.html

This seems trivially easy to work around, put it up for rent at a peppercorn rent through a french agent, get a friend to book it for the whole year, bingo you are now exempt

#22 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,898 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:45 AM

Many french villages would have died completely without some foreign input, though many have been bought as main homes, not second homes. Having said that my house in the Charente was sold to a British couple who wanted a French holiday home. No French buyers came round to view at all!

Fair enough Sir John - can't argue with direct experience! Here they're priced out but maybe not the same in France.
High house prices - wrecking economies worldwide since 2003

#23 davidg

davidg

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

This seems trivially easy to work around, put it up for rent at a peppercorn rent through a french agent, get a friend to book it for the whole year, bingo you are now exempt

The French revenue services will tax you based on the true market rental value of the property in that case.

#24 Realistbear

Realistbear

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,317 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

http://www.dailymail...x-increase.html

Britons will have to pay a new tax on their French holiday homes in a shock move by President Sarkozy, it was announced today.

The tax only applies to foreigners with second homes that are unoccupied all year whether the property is owned personally, through a company or a trust.

Sarkozy is introducing it to help raise revenues and improve his poll ratings.

Foreigners? Oh well, he is on the right track and is obviously responding to the priced out. The French do revolution well and we are not so good at it preferring, instead, the rather more extreme recourse of Civil Wars.
CRIMBOCASTS for y/e 2013

1. The Euro will have another bad year and may hit parity with the US$ before the end of the year.
2. The Pound will not move much against the dollar (range 1.47-1.60) but is likely to regain a lot of ground verses the Euro which may not survive. US $ will be a safe bet, especially ST bonds and large caps.
3. Stocks should finish moderately higher than 2012 barring a war with Korea and Iran.
4. Gold will not be flying to the moon (again) and will bitterly disappoint (again) any who got in during the run up in 2011.
5. House prices: Flattish to up single digits overall..
6. Not much in the way of inflation again this year--those who forecast hyperinflation will be proven wrong (again--as in 2011 and 2012)
7. Could see a snap GE after the May elections which will be the worst result EVER for Dave. UKIP continue to make headway and will be number 3 before year end.

#25 papag

papag

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2002503/Britons-French-holiday-homes-face-shock-new-tax-increase.html

Britons will have to pay a new tax on their French holiday homes in a shock move by President Sarkozy, it was announced today.

The tax only applies to foreigners with second homes that are unoccupied all year whether the property is owned personally, through a company or a trust.

Sarkozy is introducing it to help raise revenues and improve his poll ratings.

Foreigners? Oh well, he is on the right track and is obviously responding to the priced out. The French do revolution well and we are not so good at it preferring, instead, the rather more extreme recourse of Civil Wars.

Are we not all Europeans ?or is that only when it suits France
Money printed is like money from Heaven for the Bankers, however it leads the rest of us to the gates of Hell.

#26 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,625 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Are we not all Europeans ?or is that only when it suits France

I can see this being challenged in the EU courts and then France just ignoring the ruling.

This will catch on.

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#27 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,775 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

20% tax on the imputed rent unless the second home is let out all year via an agent.

OK then, why don't we do 40% on all foreign owned second homes over here?

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#28 exiges

exiges

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

I can see this being challenged in the EU courts and then France just ignoring the ruling.

I think this is partly why I don't like the French, I envy that they have balls and our govt. doesn't .

We should tax overseas property owners.. It's not like it's going to lose votes is it?

While we're on the subject foreign vehicles in this country should have a tax disc like they do in Switzerland.

Edited by exiges, 12 June 2011 - 08:38 AM.

Constant growth the cancerous cure, a swarming race of profiteers ensure cheap cars for the rich, cheap lives for the poor, cheap weeks in the sun, free drinks at the door. Puerile propaganda plugs up the TV, keep folk following the money so they'll never be free.

Bankrupt schools grind out fool after fool then feed them to a system where idiots rule. Polling booths, phone votes, bogus questionnaires, you get a say as if anybody cares. Joe Public doesn't want to play so liquidate his life as he looks the other way.

Should you stand and fight, should you die for what you think is right so your useless contribution will be remembered? If you're asking me I say no, surrender -- Author: Justin Currie - Song video

#29 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,775 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

I've changed my mind.

OK then, why don't we do 40% on all foreign owned second homes over here?

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#30 ShedDweller

ShedDweller

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

While we're on the subject foreign vehicles in this country should have a tax disc like they do in Switzerland.

Oddly that's coming .. I can't remember about Switzerland but I know that the Czech Republic and Hungary .. only charge for use of the motorways .. (which they do for foreign lorry's but not for cars). I guess the deal is we don't want to discourage tourism. Switzerland does well because it's a transit country ..

What they are getting very hot on now is cars registered overseas and overstaying the 6 month limit .. they have ANPR at the ports that knows when came in and when it left so if the car has been here for more six months there is an enforcement to get a British registration ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users