Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

North Wales - Where To Go, What To Do?

Darkman   

We've got a break coming up (wife and myself) , and we're heading North to Lancashire as we have done before. However, American wifey wants to see Wales, since her ancestors lived there...

North Wales fits in with our overall journey from London to Lancs, but what do we head for? I have no clue about Wales. I imagine there are some sheep, and a few hills.

Advice needed please.

RDW   

Further over you have ther bit where The Prisoner was filmed (can't remember the name, but it's pretty but touristy)

Had some good stays in the area around Aberdovey/Borth, some great beaches.

Like most of Wales, if the weather is poor you might as well stay in and watch Sky TV :)

Portmerion, well worth a visit.

Also take the puffer train up Snowdon, if you don't fancy the walk.

Byron   

It's not too easy to describe Wales. Lots of English people seem to think its like a county, when its a good 200 miles from Swansea to Holyhead, the same distance as Swansea to London.

To the English, its a foreign country with its own culture, values and language.

Someone on here referred to the Welsh language as 'hobbit', this is indicative of the failure of the English to understand Wales.

As a South Walian, even I feel strange in North Wales because of the diversity of the culture and language.

Just as Southern English have difficulty in understanding 'deep Geordie', so in Wales there are differences between North and South.

Visually, the beaches, hills and mountains compare with anywhere else.

But, it rains and rains and rains.

Up Mount Snowdon on the rack railway, maybe down an old slate mine, there are a few, lakes and mountains for a scenic drive, the Doctor Who museum at Llandudno, various little narrow gauge railways chuffing up into the hills.

Portmerion, well worth a visit.

Take a flask and sandwiches though as it's very pretty but expensive to eat in the crowded cafes they have.

I also thought it was a bit pricey to go in.

Will sell you the guidebook for £2 & postage.

tinker   

Portmerion is very nice. You can actually stay there. Just watch out for big white balloons following you about.

Porthmadog nearby is the start of a steam railway (13 miles) that takes you to Blaenau Ffestiniog (slate mines).

Darkman   

Thanks for the great tips here. Makes it a lot easier to plan ahead.

We're going to "hit" Cardiff as well now. I discovered the journey times aren't significantly different heading North or South due to the motorways/terrain.

The Dr Who exhibition is currently based in Cardiff, since that's where it's filmed. My wife is a big fan, so that looks likely.

I'm not sure what else Cardiff has, but it's a large town so surely we'll find something.

Cardiff has St. Fagans museum which is an interesting look at the Welsh way of life over the past few hundred years. To understand Wales you need to go outside of Cardiff - which is a city - and visit elsewhere.

Darkman   

Cardiff has St. Fagans museum which is an interesting look at the Welsh way of life over the past few hundred years. To understand Wales you need to go outside of Cardiff - which is a city - and visit elsewhere.

Yes, I think we'll try Cardiff for a day and then head North to see some scenery etc. My wife is interested in the history of Wales (& so am I), so a museum is a good bet.

I'm just praying for good weather ;)

Yes, I think we'll try Cardiff for a day and then head North to see some scenery etc. My wife is interested in the history of Wales (& so am I), so a museum is a good bet.

I'm just praying for good weather ;)

Just book 5 hours travel time between North Wales and Cardiff! The North and South are not near each other!

I would recommend on Anglesey -

Newborough Beach. This is a beautiful spot with snowdonia in the background and an island at the end of the beach called 'Llanddwyn'. Its one of the nicest beaches in Wales.

Also Beaumaris Castle is nice on Anglesey.

But if you want to impress her drive through the valleys of Snowdonia. Seriously impressive.