House Price Crash Forum

Neath Council Ea!?

Swansea Estate Agent

HOLA441
HOLA442

Anybody heard about these?

Apparently the Council have launched their own estate agency :o

I've found this new EA and the contact email is .gov so I assume it's them.

You've just reminded me; I posted a blog on the home-page a while back (I think from Estate Agent Today) in a similiar vein. I'm not sure if is was the same Council but they were basically undercutting the local EAs (with their fees) if I recall.

Edited by Sibley's Love Child

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I've just read the blog linked above and it makes interesting reading. Especially some of the replies.

One problem I have with this is that we pay our business rates to the council which then funds this EA.

Do the council pay business rates to themselves?

I was told that they would only deal with property that the council had sold previously to their tenants, but looking at their website it appears that they are covering everything that they can get their hands on.

They also have a huge advantage over anybody else due to the fact that they already have information on every household. They could market their company to every household and not make it seem like cold calling.

I'm so happy to see the government supporting small businesses like mine with this new venture :angry:

HOLA446
  • 3 months later...
HOLA447

I noticed an thread on the main forum a while ago regarding this due to their being an article on EAToday.

On the article there seemed to be a mixed response and a few Neath EA's had complained quite heavily about this. I have been looking through the property post from yesterday and noticed that they are now selling properties in Llansamlet.

Looks like they are going to be covering Swansea as well as Neath Port Talbot.

HOLA448

I noticed an thread on the main forum a while ago regarding this due to their being an article on EAToday.

On the article there seemed to be a mixed response and a few Neath EA's had complained quite heavily about this. I have been looking through the property post from yesterday and noticed that they are now selling properties in Llansamlet.

Looks like they are going to be covering Swansea as well as Neath Port Talbot.

Last time I looked on their website all their photos were of Swansea and Mumbles - Bayproperties or whatever they are called says it all.

Reminds me of a chap I heard of who re-mortgaged his home in the 90s to set up a DVD multimedia firm in Cardiff and, for a while, was making a good living providing a living to the local broadcasters. Then one of the public funded broadcasters used public money to set up a similar firm, undercut him and the guy I know almost went broke as he could not compete.

HOLA449

Just looked at the property they have in Llansamlet linked here: Llansamlet

We have new rampers on the scene.

On sale for £152,000

Last sale was £138,500 near the peak and estimated value now by Zoopla is £125,000 which would be about correct if you say that prices have dropped 10% since 2006.

I'm not going to look at the others because I don't know the area too well although they now have one in Pontardawe.

Their site suggests that they cover South West Wales yet the tag line on Google shows that they cover from Carmarthenshire to Cardiff. Obviously not just covering their own patch.

I think the more that they spread the more EA's will kick off. The large chains will not see it as a problem at the moment, but once they start losing dozens of instructions a week to them, who knows.

I will keep a close eye on their progress this year and see how fast they build.