House Price Crash Forum

Hartlepool

bricor mortis

HOLA441
HOLA442

I actually quiet like Hartlepool. When I visit I notice that there are less people around in supermarkets etc. People are generally polite.

Its abit like going back in time as there are hardly any immigrants. Roads and ammenities are well looked after, as they probly get a poverty grants.

The draw backs are that there are no real jobs apart from in the public sector. They are also staunch labourites.

HOLA443

I realise Hartlepool has always been cheap for housing, seems cheaper than Newcastle.

is there anything stand-out bad about life in Hartlepool ?

Went there once 20 years ago.

Memories consist of the sea breaking black (pollution from old coal mines I think), the stink of a large chemical works, the freezing wind and a few sad people picking up coal on what passed for a beach.

HOLA444
  • 2 months later...
HOLA445

CHEAP?

You are all brainwashed. There is nothing cheap in Hartlepool. I think you might mean cheapER than some places. FIFTY THOUSAND POUNDS PLUS for stinky run down 2 up 2 down terraces. Nobody with a pinch of sense would risk it or put their family through the trauma of the daily stress living in most of the locations on offer.

No locals wanted them when they were less than 10 grand a decade or so ago. At least then they were not BTL rejects and still had reasonable occupants in many. A few areas where these CHEAP houses are make Detroit look up and coming.

Decent properties in better locations are beyond the grasp of the average wage earner. Young workers in Hatlepool have not a hope of getting affordable homes on their wages/salaries without Mom and Pop Bank- Lotto win-pushing a bit of recreational substance or LIAR LOANS and blindly accepting a life of total debt slavery out of proportion to historical norms.

I suggest many people have just thrown in the towel, realised it a waste of time, and settling for HB to shoulder the ridiculous rents; unpayable if you are earning an average wage for area. SO if you see the social contradictions here you will understand the social mobility flux occurring.

Sinking aspirations, the catch 22 of it all, the self perpetuating spiral down is creating more and more fodder for the BTL merchants to blitz reasonable areas one by one, turning poor property into poorer property.

The poor property terraces were once the FTB starter homes now they are the last resort. Decaying, festering areas THAT LOOK 'CHEAP'on Rightmove are thrown into stark relief if you do a Google Street view or better still... go and have a look.

Not in the dark though.

CHEAP! Shhheesh.

A little rant over.

Hence ma

• 1 year later...
HOLA446

Well, I'm delighted to read in The Guardian that prices in my home town fell 17.5% last year, making Hartlepool the HPC capital of Britain. I've been working, renting, saving cash and buying gold in London for years, and watching prices tumble on Rightmove for months. Hell, I might go home and buy a place one of these days. Vindication at last!

Not that I'm gloating.

• 10 months later...
HOLA447
  • 6 months later...
HOLA448
  • 1 year later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
  • 1 year later...
HOLA4411
  • 3 months later...
HOLA4412

Been in holiday in the north east. Presently surprised by Hartlepool, much less tacky then I imagined.

Apparently decent 3 bedders in good condition in middling areas wth a nice sea view for £50k, some very cheap stuff probably in poor areas, from 15k apparently (?)