Steppenpig

Balham Sw12 Hydefarm

278 posts in this topic

Just outside the Hyde Farm, nice road next to the Common.

Been on since the summer ... 10pc off.

Might go and have a look now and tell them I'm intererested at the original px ... ie £680k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE^1244432&maxDaysSinceAdded=7&radius=0.5&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on

£769,950
6 bedroom link detached house for sale Mortimer Close, London SW16

Just off the common and in a quiet no through road, this link detached house offers nearly 2,000 sq ft of good family accommodation over 3 floors.

tbd

23 February 2012

Price changed: from '£849,950' to '£769,950'

13 September 2011

Price changed: £849,950

11 September 2011

Price changed: Offers in Excess of £680,000 £849,950

22 July 2011

Brief Description changed: Just off the common and in a quiet no through road, this link detached house offers nearly 2,000 sq ft of good family accommodation over 3 floors.... floors.

01 July 2011

Initial entry found.

Another interesting one.

Stuff is definitely selling, but when it doesn't ...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31114858.html

£695,000
4 bedroom terraced house for sale Honeybrook Road Clapham South London

An extended four bedroom Victorian family home situated on the south side of the street in a lovely residential road within a short walk of Clapham South Underground station and indeed Clapham Common itself. Offering spacious and highly versatile living accommodation throughout which has recently...

tbd

10 January 2012

Price changed: from '£725,000' to '£695,000'

26 September 2011

Price changed: from '£749,950' to '£725,000'

24 September 2011

Subtitle changed: 4 bedroom property terraced house

31 August 2011

Price changed: from '£775,000' to '£749,950'

12 August 2011

Initial entry found.

[quote name='smallstakes3' timestamp='1330242012' post='3270978']
Another interesting one.

Stuff is definitely selling, but when it doesn't ...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31114858.html

£695,000

An extended four bedroom Victorian family home situated on the south side of the street in a lovely residential road within a short walk of Clapham South Underground station and indeed Clapham Common itself. Offering spacious and highly versatile living accommodation throughout which has recently...

tbd

10 January 2012

Price changed: from '£725,000' to '£695,000'

26 September 2011

Price changed: from '£749,950' to '£725,000'

24 September 2011

Subtitle changed: 4 bedroom property terraced house

31 August 2011

Price changed: from '£775,000' to '£749,950'

12 August 2011

Initial entry found.
[/quote]

I think that was just badly overpriced initially. Lots of things are ‘wrong’ with it for a £775k [the initial asking price] house in the area.

1 – not far but not massively close to the tube;
2 – very badly placed for state primary schools – Bonneville & Alderbrook are both basically ‘sink’ schools, and even then neither’s particularly close;
3 – awful single storey extension at the back has left with no back garden to speak of;
4 – but the kitchen’s still tiny;

Buyers in that price range would, well I don’t know, those big kitchen/’family rooms’ at the back are all the rage, I’d guess they might want to knock down most of the extension & also build a ‘side return’ that took in the current ‘courtyard’ and ‘utility room’… it’d cost a packet & you’d still be left with a house that was nowhere near the popular schools. I daresay they’ll get £600-odd k for it. Edited by the flying pig

FWIW more so up the road in Clapham, but also in Balham, Wandsworth and and BAttersea, there suddenly seems to be a flood of stuff around £2.5 m in the trophy homes category , a bit of stuff from £1.2 to £1.7 , then nothing around the £700k-£1.1m mark

[quote name='the flying pig' timestamp='1330510983' post='3273629']
I think that was just badly overpriced initially. Lots of things are ‘wrong’ with it for a £775k [the initial asking price] house in the area.

1 – not far but not massively close to the tube;
2 – very badly placed for state primary schools – Bonneville & Alderbrook are both basically ‘sink’ schools, and even then neither’s particularly close;
3 – awful single storey extension at the back has left with no back garden to speak of;
4 – but the kitchen’s still tiny;

Buyers in that price range would, well I don’t know, those big kitchen/’family rooms’ at the back are all the rage, I’d guess they might want to knock down most of the extension & also build a ‘side return’ that took in the current ‘courtyard’ and ‘utility room’… it’d cost a packet & you’d still be left with a house that was nowhere near the popular schools. I daresay they’ll get £600-odd k for it.
[/quote]

It did look odd on the pix. And also I don't think it was helped by being advertised as being on Emmanuel Road initially ... but this is the latest:

Aspire, Balham have removed this property. It may now be sold, under offer or temporarily withdrawn from the market.

£674,950

Marketed by Aspire, Balham. Telephone: 0843 313 8883 BT 4p/min

[quote name='smallstakes3' timestamp='1333224002' post='909004208']
It did look odd on the pix. And also I don't think it was helped by being advertised as being on Emmanuel Road initially ... but this is the latest:

Aspire, Balham have removed this property. It may now be sold, under offer or temporarily withdrawn from the market.

£674,950

Marketed by Aspire, Balham. Telephone: 0843 313 8883 BT 4p/min
[/quote]

Ah no it has sold through a different one ...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32700841.html

Guide Price £674,950
4 bedroom house for sale Honeybrook Road, Clapham South, SW12

A substantial four bedroom Victorian family home requiring some modernisation. Situated in a popular residential street within a short walk of Clapham South underground station and the open spaces of Clapham Common. The property features a through lounge/dining room, separate kitchen, downstai...

tbd

26 March 2012

Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Sold STC'

16 March 2012

Brief Description changed: A substantial four bedroom period Victorian family home situated requiring some modernisation. Situated in a popular residential street within a short walk of Clapham South underground station and the open spaces of Clapham Common. The property features a through Lounge/Dining Room, separa... lounge/dining room, separate kitchen, downstai...

13 March 2012

Brief Description changed: A SPACIOUS THREE FOUR BEDROOM VICTORIAN TERRACED HOUSE A substantial three four bedroom period family home situated in a popular residential street within a short walk of Clapham South underground and the open spaces of Clapham Common. The property features a through Lounge/Dining Room, sepa... separa...
Price changed: Guide Price £695,000 £674,950
Subtitle changed: from '3 bedroom house ' to '4 bedroom house '

There have been some pretty epic asking prices around upper Hyde Farm/Telford Park recently.

KFH the usual culprit but James Pendleton too, have been treating vendors to some insane overvaluations. It seems these guys are trying to muscle in on Andrews and Jackons who have traditionally been strong in the area. Best way to do that is to tell people what they want to hear. Like their 1.5 bedroom 700 square foot side-return flat is worth 470k.

Then you get something truly special like this one from KFH, which really is a treat. 630k for a 3 bed upper floor maisonette. For added roffle factor, they include the uninhabitable eaves in their square ft calculations...
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-21776271.html

I know there's very few instructions going around at the moment but some of these Balham estate agents are getting dirty in order to get business.

[quote name='Aaron James' timestamp='1334235632' post='909012214']
There have been some pretty epic asking prices around upper Hyde Farm/Telford Park recently.

KFH the usual culprit but James Pendleton too, have been treating vendors to some insane overvaluations. It seems these guys are trying to muscle in on Andrews and Jackons who have traditionally been strong in the area. Best way to do that is to tell people what they want to hear. Like their 1.5 bedroom 700 square foot side-return flat is worth 470k.

Then you get something truly special like this one from KFH, which really is a treat. 630k for a 3 bed upper floor maisonette. For added roffle factor, they include the uninhabitable eaves in their square ft calculations...

I know there's very few instructions going around at the moment but some of these Balham estate agents are getting dirty in order to get business.
[/quote]
I've posted before that my wife sold last year near here.

She got a good whack for her2 bed flat, double what any sane person might pay for it. The asking prices that have appeared this year though are maybe 50k-80k above her selling price !!!

My only conclusion from this is that the bubble is again about to burst.

Buy at your peril.

[/quote]

£630k for that is ridiculous. A good 15-20 minute walk from Balham station, and the road itself isn't the most pretty. Not particularly close to any primary school so will struggle to get a spot in the good ones.

First floor two-beds, which is what this is minus the loft conversion, goes for approx £400k in the immediate area. So add the extra loft conversion, some nice interiors (have to admit wooden floor is nice), and the share of freehold and it really shouldn't be selling for more than £500k tops. I would bet that the true value is closer to £480k.

Lets revisit this property in a few months time, which I'm sure will still be on the market :)

[quote name='Boon' timestamp='1334236657' post='909012228']
£630k for that is ridiculous. A good 15-20 minute walk from Balham station, and the road itself isn't the most pretty. Not particularly close to any primary school so will struggle to get a spot in the good ones.

First floor two-beds, which is what this is minus the loft conversion, goes for approx £400k in the immediate area. So add the extra loft conversion, some nice interiors (have to admit wooden floor is nice), and the share of freehold and it really shouldn't be selling for more than £500k tops. I would bet that the true value is closer to £480k.

Lets revisit this property in a few months time, which I'm sure will still be on the market :)
[/quote]

For 630 you can probably get a house the same size needing a bit of work (with room to expand blah blah) on Hydethorpe, within the Henry Cavendish catchment.

I guess if you put this on at a stupid px, you'll get some genius offering 5-10pc under, thinking they've got a bargain, and actually offering 50-100 over what a normal person would pay.

...KFH the usual culprit... truly special like this one from KFH, which really is a treat. 630k for a 3 bed upper floor maisonette. For added roffle factor, they include the uninhabitable eaves in their square ft calculations...
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-21776271.html...[/quote]

yeah. I think KFH might now be the highest valuers around. I doubt that Foxtons would have quoted £630k for that place.

the square footage quoted is genius. when I next come to sell a house I'm defintiely going to include roof [you could put solar panels on it] and on-street parking space in my total.

[quote name='Boon' timestamp='1334236657' post='909012228']

[/quote]

agree re: distance to tube. for schools it's quite close to telferscot, which is pretty decent.

it seems like a nice place to me. the only problem is the price. and it's not a small problem.

as per smallstakes' post, for another £50k or so you could get a natural 3-bed Hydethorpe type house, with a bigger garden & potential to convert the loft to a 4th bed for about another £30k or so.

i don't follow incredibly carefully but i don't think i'm aware of one of the 2-bed maisonettes in that sort of area having breached the £500k mark, ever? Edited by the flying pig

No 2 bed maisonettes have sold for 500k, but a large circa 90sqm 2 bed well renovated should fetch £400k-ish. Look at 2 bed on sale atm just round the corner on Tenham. Add a loft conversion and share of freehold and you get probably 450-480, and if lucky 500k?

[quote name='Boon' timestamp='1334314553' post='909012891']
No 2 bed maisonettes have sold for 500k, but a large circa 90sqm 2 bed well renovated should fetch £400k-ish. Look at 2 bed on sale atm just round the corner on Tenham. Add a loft conversion and share of freehold and you get probably 450-480, and if lucky 500k?
[/quote]

Telford Park is starting to test the 500k limit atm. The maisonettes are more attractive than the Hyde Farm ones because they are usually anywhere from 50-150 sq ft bigger, and few of them have had the lofts done.

There are quite a lot of 2-storey, purpose built, maisonette buildings like that in Balham. 10-15 years ago I'm not sure that there was no question of any really noticable difference in price between ground and first floor flats [tho there may have been a smallish one] because the money it'd cost you to put in a good loft conversoin would have been enough to enable you to start to think about looking at slightly bigger places.

But with prices per square foot so high nowadays, when a [say] £30k loft conversion can add [say, to pluck a random figure out of the air] 25% more decent-quality floorspace to a £400k flat, it does start to feel to me that first floor places should be worth really strikingly more than ground [subject to being allowed to do the loft]. But I don't get the sense that they are?.

Fairly academic though for this place since £630k can buy you places that are objectively much bigger and better. Edited by the flying pig

[/quote]
I used to live in the area, That price is completely insane.

[quote name='hobdoll' timestamp='1334730179' post='909016294']
I used to live in the area, That price is completely insane.
[/quote]

Ok so I lose ... some munchkin has seen the price cut and made an offer ... I'm going to email KFH and ask WTF?

Guide Price £599,950
3 bedroom maisonette for sale Criffel Avenue, Streatham Hill, SW2

A truly stunning split level three bedroom/two bathroom garden maisonette offering 1600 sq ft of immaculately presented accomodation just a short walk from the Common.

tbd

29 April 2012

Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Under offer'

20 April 2012

Price changed: Guide Price £630,000 £599,950

09 February 2012

Price changed: Guide Price £569,950 £630,000

04 February 2012

Initial entry found.

KFH in Balham and Tooting seem to have become every bit the new Foxtons. Very aggressive and marking things under off at the whiff of an offer. A lot never materialise on the sold pages. Having said that, quite a lot do.

[quote name='TeddyBear' timestamp='1335823394' post='909026831']KFH in Balham and Tooting seem to have become every bit the new Foxtons. Very aggressive and marking things under off at the whiff of an offer...[/quote]

yeah. i'll confess to having viewed a house with them quite recently. although it grated I did find the young, exceptionally posh, female EA to be somewhat attractive.

on a more serious note this depressed me a lot. mostly of course the tragedy of the story but including the house price in the headline seemed a new low, even for the DM. why would anyone care?

[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142296/Wandsworth-deaths-Jeff-Boots-finds-wife-Felicia-smothered-children-home.html"]Oh my God, my beautiful babies, they have gone: Father's desperate cries as he finds wife with their smothered children at £1.2m home they moved into 10 days ago[/url] Edited by the flying pig

[quote name='smallstakes3' timestamp='1338331157' post='909051920']
Seem to be a fair # of new houses, price cuts, and UO->Available in the last mth or so ... anyone else noticing that?
[/quote]

Not so much around our way in Telford park. A few that went on very bullish have come down, but the 2-3 bed maisonettes in reasonable condition in the 400-470 range seem to move fast.

The number of sales in SW12 seems to be dropping and dropping. According to Zoopla, up to April 25th, (I know a few more will register still) there are only 111 for the whole of 2012 in SW12.

I have also noticed a surge in 4 bed+ houses in SW12 and 17 coming on to rent. Wondering if housing benefit changes have had something to do with that?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23393190.html

No side return

No loft conversion

Needs updating inside

I despair

No HPC in Blarm

[quote name='smallstakes3' timestamp='1341871649' post='909084322']
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23393190.html

No side return

No loft conversion

Needs updating inside

I despair

No HPC in Blarm
[/quote]

Indeed. Definitely no HPC in Balham. If anything, it looks like its more than 10% higher than this time last year!

Hi, I am a lurker of the past few months and thought I should sign up and join the chat. I have been viewing a few places over the past few months trying to wade through the crap in my measly budget. Anyway I have just had an offer accepted on a ex-council 1 bed on Mayford Road that I intend on making a 2 bed. I’d just like to say thanks to you all for some great info. Let’s just hope the market doesn’t crash any time too soon. Although, I'm not a first time buyer and I *shouldn't* go into negative equity (starts buying lucky rabbits feet!!). I would be keen to know any honest appraisals on how this area is changing?

Well, it's I the nightingale triangle, but I'm sure the estate agents have been telling you that already! I would presume that street would be popular with families, although a small 2 bed ex-council flat is probably more suitable for sharers.

Is the flat leasehold or freehold? If leasehold, you might face long delays in getting council to approve the conversion if they are the freeholder.