Steppenpig

Balham Sw12 Hydefarm

278 posts in this topic

Doesn't seem like much action in SW12 lately. Small Stakes, have you still called off your search?

Still seems like precious little stock available. Andrews have resorted to putting advert placards up in their display window instead of properties.

Doesn't seem like much action in SW12 lately. Small Stakes, have you still called off your search?

Still seems like precious little stock available. Andrews have resorted to putting advert placards up in their display window instead of properties.

Hi ... Yeah abandoned it for the summer. Not a lot on, and the estate agents seem to be desperate to get new instructions. I had a phone call from one agent asking if I still wanted to sell my flat (which I'd sold in 2009 ...).

So Balham got off pretty lightly in the riots or whatever they are called. Was down there yesterday and saw- Tesco local windows had been smashed, a couple of phone shops and heard one of the pubs put up a fight against a bunch of "yewts".

Lucky for Balham that shops in Clapham Junction and Colliers Wood stocked what the looters were after.

So Balham got off pretty lightly in the riots or whatever they are called. Was down there yesterday and saw- Tesco local windows had been smashed, a couple of phone shops and heard one of the pubs put up a fight against a bunch of "yewts".

Lucky for Balham that shops in Clapham Junction and Colliers Wood stocked what the looters were after.

Yeah Balham was fairly unaffected, Carphone Warehouse and T-Mobile notwithstanding.

Anyway on to the subject (ish) I wonder what you guys make of this place?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31133797.html

600k for a 3 bed flat on Huron Rd in one of those (admittedly stunning) double fronted buildings. Approx 1000 sq ft.

Seems to me a little bit of style over substance, but I'll be very curious to see what it ends up selling for.

Yeah Balham was fairly unaffected, Carphone Warehouse and T-Mobile notwithstanding.

Anyway on to the subject (ish) I wonder what you guys make of this place?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31133797.html

600k for a 3 bed flat on Huron Rd in one of those (admittedly stunning) double fronted buildings. Approx 1000 sq ft.

Seems to me a little bit of style over substance, but I'll be very curious to see what it ends up selling for.

They have dug out the basement. Not sure how much that costs. £600k to sleep in a dug out basement?

Which streets in Balham / Clapham South have decent gardens?

Is only those near Tooting Bec?

Depends what you mean by 'nice gardens'.

Most rear gardens in the area aren't *that* big, tending about 8-10ft long and maybe 6-7 ft wide if you're lucky. It also depends on the type of property you're looking for. With a terrace or semi you're guaranteed to get the full garden where as in a maisonette you're either sharing one space, or the space is split in two.

Properties with a 'galley' garden in my opinion are quite undesirable. You tend to see this galley approach a lot in Hyde Farm and Telford Park, although sadly increasingly in nightinggale and heaver too. But it is much rarer there. In the heaver estate I've seen a few examples where they have split the gardens horizontally which in some respects is better than the galley style. But ideally if you're buying a maisonette you want the full garden to yourself.

Indeed if you're looking for a big garden there are some nice places in the Heaver estate that offer larger than average gardens. But then those properties cost more than the average property in SW12/17 too.

I'm not too au fait with the Clapham South Stock so someone else would need to speak to the configuration of those. But I saw a lot of properties in Hyde Farm, Heaver and Telford Park and know the Boundaries Road Triangle area very well.

Depends what you mean by 'nice gardens'.

Most rear gardens in the area aren't *that* big, tending about 8-10ft long and maybe 6-7 ft wide if you're lucky.

Ahh let me correct this, sleepy + still can't do imperial measurements properly!

I meant here the average size from what I've seen tends to be around 5-6 metres deep (15-18ft) and about 4-5 metres (12-15ft) wide. Naturally these can vary and I've seen instances of skinny long gardens and short and squat ones.

Ours for example in Telford Park is pretty square, about 5 metres deep and 6 or so wide.

Yes, by nice I meant big. The I appreciate the two often don't actually tally.

The problem with this area is small gardens.

Yeah I would agree. On the flip side the benefit of the area is the nice housing stock (late victorian / edwardian) and good transport links. The other thing to take into account is if you're in hyde farm/telford park, or nightinggale you have Tooting Common and Wandsworth Common quite literally on your doorstep.

Which streets in Balham / Clapham South have decent gardens?

Is only those near Tooting Bec?

I'm not an expert but in Balham I'd in tend to say you're more likely to be able to get somewhere affordable [relatively speaking, obviously] with a half-decent sized garden if you're looking to the [in some cases cheaper, less desirable] east side of the high road rather than the west.

Although to be honest that's a generalisation based on a very small sample of other people's gardens I've visited and various EA e-brochures that I've looked at. So much so that it's probably complete rubbish.

You might be able to get a tiny bit of an idea using a satellite view on google maps & looking for patches of green & trees [other than those which line roads obviously].

Edited by the flying pig

this surprised even me. asking price £1.45m for decent house, very nicely done up, on decent road. there's a structurally near-identical place a few doors down up for £875k. now, the first place has been refurbished to a vastly higher standard but the refurbs' asking price of £600k is surely at least double what it ought to be.

this surprised even me. asking price £1.45m for decent house, very nicely done up, on decent road. there's a structurally near-identical place a few doors down up for £875k. now, the first place has been refurbished to a vastly higher standard but the refurbs' asking price of £600k is surely at least double what it ought to be.

Not an area I'm interested in, but I noticed that the £1.4m one is 3000+ sq ft whilst the £845k one is 2200 sq ft.

Seems to be a seriously slow market in SW12. Land Registry sales on zoopla show 42 sales registered for May over the whole postcode. 52 in April which includes 5 x 1mil+ probably rushed through in first 5 days to avoid stamp duty change.

Mouseprice estimates 6,950 owner occupied properties in the borough - so not much moving.

Seems to be a seriously slow market in SW12. Land Registry sales on zoopla show 42 sales registered for May over the whole postcode. 52 in April which includes 5 x 1mil+ probably rushed through in first 5 days to avoid stamp duty change.

Mouseprice estimates 6,950 owner occupied properties in the borough - so not much moving.

52 x 12 = 624

624/6950 = ~9% churn.

Seems normal to me: I've heard that 5% is more normal (ie a move every 20 years).

52 x 12 = 624

624/6950 = ~9% churn.

Seems normal to me: I've heard that 5% is more normal (ie a move every 20 years).

A move every 20 years in London? Not the norm at all previously surely? Many young workers would buy their first flat and expect to hold 2 - 5 years from what I remember in the past.

A move every 20 years in London? Not the norm at all previously surely? Many young workers would buy their first flat and expect to hold 2 - 5 years from what I remember in the past.

Sure, but once every 10 sounds not too far out.

Balham on LLL tonight (Wednesday) Ch4 8:00pm.

I know it's hideous, but you can watch it with the sound down and see the pretty pictures.

Balham on LLL tonight (Wednesday) Ch4 8:00pm.

I know it's hideous, but you can watch it with the sound down and see the pretty pictures.

No idea what the couple are like in real life, but they didn't come across well on TV it had to be said.

Mmm I wonder where that flat was they ended up with anyway? I cringe a bit when I work out the price per square foot. They had half our budget but got a 3rd of the floorspace. While they avoided stamp duty, they will find when they come to sell people prepared to live in a 300 sq ft flat are going to want to avoid stamp as well. Doesn't bode well for capital appreciation.

No idea what the couple are like in real life, but they didn't come across well on TV it had to be said.

Mmm I wonder where that flat was they ended up with anyway? I cringe a bit when I work out the price per square foot. They had half our budget but got a 3rd of the floorspace. While they avoided stamp duty, they will find when they come to sell people prepared to live in a 300 sq ft flat are going to want to avoid stamp as well. Doesn't bode well for capital appreciation.

the lady buyer was already in possession of a couple of inflated assets :D

Anyone seen that house on Nightingale Square. Totally dilapidated. Needs fortunes spending on it. They want £1.9 m for it. I cried when I found out then punched an EA

the lady buyer was already in possession of a couple of inflated assets :D

I walked past her in the street t'other day. Chain smoking and looking v. worried/preoccupied about something.

Mmm to be honest although it's gobsmacking and that place is probably going to need 200+k to bring it up to the standard of neighbouring properties, it's probably on the best 'street' in the area.

Annoying though some places in that street sold for. Circa 200k 15 years ago...

when i look at what you get for £1m in balham [not, really, all that much] i don't instinctively feel that £2m for a biggish place on a top street like that is all that awful really.

although it's, well, quite a long way out of my price range really so i'm probably not very well-placed to comment.