House Price Crash Forum

Balham Sw12 Hydefarm

Steppenpig

HOLA441

I suspect if we could find the floorplan, it would be pretty small (eg http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32251481.html is 500 sq ft from memory, which is 1/3rd the size (and 1/3rd the cost) of the normal houses (which obviously get gardens &c) on the same road.

But I was more posting that flat to show the drop

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I really don't think there's going to be a 'spring bounce' in Balham. Balham has been ahead of the curve for a bit, buyers (if they are like me) feel pretty safe to sit and wait as expectations of interest rate rises in July as well as the 2 year deals signed in 2008/09 expire on to unattractive SVRs take effect.

Question is, what are sellers going to do? I think a lot of people have been clinging on to the hope that it'll all blow over. Optimism amongst sellers, eventually, has to meet the new reality.

Even in SW12/17.

If there are 350 sellers in SW12, how many buyers are there ... I suspect there are lots like me who STR'd in 2009, and are happy to buy a 4 bed house needing work if the price began with a 5 and not a 7.

Having said that, I noticed this one has recently dropped (and depressingly it will probably sell now ...). We didn't go and see that as a friend of ours saw it and said that the agents were certain it would sell @ >725k. So we couldn't see the point in going. At 675, I might be interested if they took it down to 600k. But how many people think like me? http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29325355.html

History

date event

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:08:02 AM

* Price changed: from '£725,000' to '£675,000'

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:05:30 AM

* Initial entry found.

HOLA443
HOLA444

If there are 350 sellers in SW12, how many buyers are there ... I suspect there are lots like me who STR'd in 2009, and are happy to buy a 4 bed house needing work if the price began with a 5 and not a 7.

Having said that, I noticed this one has recently dropped (and depressingly it will probably sell now ...). We didn't go and see that as a friend of ours saw it and said that the agents were certain it would sell @ >725k. So we couldn't see the point in going. At 675, I might be interested if they took it down to 600k. But how many people think like me? http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29325355.html

History

date event

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:08:02 AM

* Price changed: from '£725,000' to '£675,000'

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:05:30 AM

* Initial entry found.

Only problem is when houses drop in to the 500k low 600k bracket you start running into a fair amount of competition as it becomes viable for people trading up from 450+k flats and for developers to flip.

That Cavendish place though could be a lovely house!

I don't know if I'd worry about it being snapped up at that price though. I mean, what are average selling prices for modernised terraces on Cavendish, (700-775k)?

I would have thought this one has a way to go.

You'd have to spend quite a lot to bring it to modern spec. How much you would spend would depend on you, but a developer could sink _at_least_ 50k in that place, so the margins at 675 are still too risky. And at that price people trading up just aren't going to have the cash to do the modernisation.

So I think you're right, when it gets to 600-625 it'll start becoming a viable project and it might start to get some serious interest.

HOLA445

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/73-cambray-road/london/sw12-0er/11688618

No surprise it's cheaper but personally at that price I think it offers better value than a converted Victorian flat.

Good work. I have to say it also looks pretty light inside (based on the photos I know). One of the only things I hate about Balham flats is the long/thin shape - you end up with a light front room and a light back room, and the middle of the flat (typically 2nd bedroom + kitchen) is very dark. We had our lights on all the time in our old place.

I was out and about in Tooting this morning, and some of the places down there (Chasefield, Cowick Roads) are tiny (500 sq ft), just off Tooting High Road, and on for £300k. Suddenly Balham flats look like good value ...

HOLA446

Only problem is when houses drop in to the 500k low 600k bracket you start running into a fair amount of competition as it becomes viable for people trading up from 450+k flats and for developers to flip.

That Cavendish place though could be a lovely house!

I don't know if I'd worry about it being snapped up at that price though. I mean, what are average selling prices for modernised terraces on Cavendish, (700-775k)?

I would have thought this one has a way to go.

You'd have to spend quite a lot to bring it to modern spec. How much you would spend would depend on you, but a developer could sink _at_least_ 50k in that place, so the margins at 675 are still too risky. And at that price people trading up just aren't going to have the cash to do the modernisation.

So I think you're right, when it gets to 600-625 it'll start becoming a viable project and it might start to get some serious interest.

Hmm you've inspired me to make an appt tmw. Will see how they react to me saying I'll offer 575.

HOLA447

Gone under offer 5 times, available again now. Wonder what the story is. Has anybody viewed it?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27929362.html

History

date event

Saturday, April 02, 2011 8:39:41 AM

* Status changed: from 'Under offer' to 'Available'

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:24:37 PM

* Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Under offer'

Friday, February 25, 2011 12:14:44 AM

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:13:57 PM

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:44:57 PM

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:14:42 PM

Monday, February 07, 2011 11:33:04 PM

Sunday, February 06, 2011 10:14:44 AM

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:12:47 AM

Saturday, October 02, 2010 6:14:48 PM

Saturday, September 25, 2010 9:06:37 AM

* Initial entry found.

HOLA448

Some mighty price cuts ... £5,500 isn't even a percent off.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-17936415.html

History

date event

Saturday, April 02, 2011 8:20:30 PM

* Price changed: from '£674,500' to '£669,500'

Monday, February 28, 2011 4:27:50 PM

* Price changed: from '£675,000' to '£674,500'

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:36:25 AM

* Initial entry found.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Wonder if surveys have come back with something? Either way for that price I wouldn't touch it, the rear of the property is so narrow.

Standard design in the Hyde Farm. Looks like they haven't filled in the side return to make a double width kitchen, which is what a lot of people have done, although it does have a loft conversion.

I'd say £770k is a bit toppy (well, very toppy) but it seems like 5 people have been happy to offer. It looks like it's recently been done up, so I'd be surprised if it's something in the survey. I know a couple of people on Scholars so will have a nose round.

HOLA4411

Long time lurker here.

Thought I'd add my initial thoughts / observations re: SW12 and Hydefarm.

Put me down as one more potential competitor for a 2 bed maisonette at the "lower" end of the market, eg under 400k. Only in London would someone with a budget of 3-400K be "lower end". Just goes to show how the bubble has devalued money.

I have a thing about noise (am committed suburbanite) so Hydefarm seems to offer a bit of suburban quiet, while being close-ish to London.

I'm also guessing maisonettes offer better noise protection from clomper/stompers above and below you? At least that's what I'm hoping. Maybe anyone who's lived on Hydefarm can tell me if that's true or not?

Trouble is, prices do seem nuts right now. Peak value plus at least 5%. Maisonettes are coming on the market (albiet large ones) at more than 400k. That seems crazy, given houses on the estate are going for around 6 to 700K.

Still, if that's all people can afford, I guess that pushes up prices.

The other drawback is that, despite being in SW12, I'm right in thinking Hydefarm is in Lambeth? So bang goes one of the cheapest council taxes in the country. Not good.

Am also keeping an eye on Heaver. How crazy are prices there?!! And the market seems to have vanished, at least flats-wise. Almost nothing up for sale. Virtually everything that was a hangover from 2010 seemed to go under offer in January. Bizarre. Surely city bonuses wouldn't have trickled down to 1-2 bedders in Tooting Bec?!!

And since then, very little has come on to replace those 2010 leftovers. Can only assume it's vendors sitting pretty on their cheap SVRs.

Surely even estate agents are beginning to realise that rate rises will give them something to actually sell. I mean, how are sales agents actually making a living?!!!

Anyway, just my tuppence worth...

HOLA4412

Surely even estate agents are beginning to realise that rate rises will give them something to actually sell. I mean, how are sales agents actually making a living?!!!

Simple, they're selling all the good stock that comes onto the market within a week! I think the surge in buyers have caught the agents out as well - when I was looking over Jan and Feb, you literally had to book Saturday appointments on Monday.

Nightingale Triangle (A Grade) decent two bed between £450k and £550k. So decent two beds in the "B grade" HydeFarm going for approximately £400k, although I've seen some HydeFarm 72sqm ground floor maisonettes going for close to £420k.

I've seen more stock come on the market over the last 2 weeks though, so hopefully that continues. And I've seen that some Hyde Farm properties are taking a bit of time to sell as well - an improvement!

HOLA4413

Long time lurker here.

Thought I'd add my initial thoughts / observations re: SW12 and Hydefarm.

Put me down as one more potential competitor for a 2 bed maisonette at the "lower" end of the market, eg under 400k. Only in London would someone with a budget of 3-400K be "lower end". Just goes to show how the bubble has devalued money.

I have a thing about noise (am committed suburbanite) so Hydefarm seems to offer a bit of suburban quiet, while being close-ish to London.

I'm also guessing maisonettes offer better noise protection from clomper/stompers above and below you? At least that's what I'm hoping. Maybe anyone who's lived on Hydefarm can tell me if that's true or not?

Trouble is, prices do seem nuts right now. Peak value plus at least 5%. Maisonettes are coming on the market (albiet large ones) at more than 400k. That seems crazy, given houses on the estate are going for around 6 to 700K.

Still, if that's all people can afford, I guess that pushes up prices.

The other drawback is that, despite being in SW12, I'm right in thinking Hydefarm is in Lambeth? So bang goes one of the cheapest council taxes in the country. Not good.

Am also keeping an eye on Heaver. How crazy are prices there?!! And the market seems to have vanished, at least flats-wise. Almost nothing up for sale. Virtually everything that was a hangover from 2010 seemed to go under offer in January. Bizarre. Surely city bonuses wouldn't have trickled down to 1-2 bedders in Tooting Bec?!!

And since then, very little has come on to replace those 2010 leftovers. Can only assume it's vendors sitting pretty on their cheap SVRs.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth...

Heaver is on a different planet, I've personally put in two offers there, trying to be clever and they've gone at asking. Generally as long as they are > 800sq ft they will go for 499k, easy. If they are > 1000+ sq foot and don't have any issues, you're going over 500k stamp.

It was quite funny my first encounter with Geraldine at Heaver I'm like every agent has said my budget is pretty good, what am I looking at around here, she scoffed, and said I'd need to save a bit more :-) The area is definitely very popular and likely to hold its value because people living there aren't in a rush to move.

Regarding ground floor noise, I've lived in 3 different maisonettes around Balham (Nightinggale, and Central) and it really does depend on each property. One Heaver property on Huron Road had had proper sound proofing done, but at expense of the ceiling height. Most will not come with truly excellent sound proofing and if they have any sort of hard surface above you, you're going to hear it. I've seen a dozen places in Hyde Farm and you *can* hear people upstairs but (purely on viewings) it didn't seem excessive.

I'm not sure what the current building regs are, but if the conversion was done a while ago it can have a big impact on the noise characteristics

If you're focussing on Hyde Farm you've probably had a few viewings with Jacksons who are perhaps a little too bullish right now with some of their valuations. They do have a good grip on the area though. I'm not a big fan of the maisonette stock there as they are quite narrow, on average 700-750 sq ft. Personally my partner and I are looking for 900+ so Hyde Farm and Telford has very little to offer.

While *a lot* of viewings are happening right now, not a lot of transactions are going on. I think it's a case of a lot of buyers are there, but with as we've mentioned before there's a bit of a standoff, actual sale prices aren't rising and so buyers can for now afford to bide their time.

That said, the A Grade stock will go at asking, which is why there's so little available and B grade stock is being priced the same as A grade stock - but buyers know it.

Anyway good luck, I sincerely hope we don't go for the same property =]

HOLA4414

Simple, they're selling all the good stock that comes onto the market within a week! I think the surge in buyers have caught the agents out as well - when I was looking over Jan and Feb, you literally had to book Saturday appointments on Monday.

Nightingale Triangle (A Grade) decent two bed between £450k and £550k. So decent two beds in the "B grade" HydeFarm going for approximately £400k, although I've seen some HydeFarm 72sqm ground floor maisonettes going for close to £420k.

I've seen more stock come on the market over the last 2 weeks though, so hopefully that continues. And I've seen that some Hyde Farm properties are taking a bit of time to sell as well - an improvement!

This is an interesting property in an excellent spot and with a good finish: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32942822.html

A little on the small side, but it's a bit of a bellweather property I think. It's been on the market, what, two months now? I've seen it and it's very nice (but small and not laid out ideally) but still, I thought it would get snapped up very quickly given the finish and especially the location. but it's just been sitting there.

It's too expensive for what it is.

It's definitely, imo A Grade stock for a well heeled 20 something couple with no kids, so what's up? It's a sign to me buyers have gotten their coats and are on strike until asking prices start getting sane.

Edited by Aaron James

HOLA4415

Thanks for the reply Aaron.

I don't think we're in the same market. Am definitely not in the 400K+ market, and am reluctant to go much above 350K, if I'm being honest. Not that I can't afford to stretch to get to those prices right now. I just don't want to be saddled with a mega mortgage when interest rates do finally start approaching normality.

There are a few 900 ft maisonettes on Fieldhouse Rd right now, which are around the 400K mark. Are these no good for you? There as big as you'll get on Hydefarm.

If only they were 30-40K cheaper, I'd be tempted.

Re: Heaver estate, there is literally nothing on the market right now. I imagine a sea of BTLers, all on low SVRs, sitting pretty and coining it in. V depressing.

Come on Mervyn, time to hike those rates...

HOLA4416

Thanks for the reply Aaron.

I don't think we're in the same market. Am definitely not in the 400K+ market, and am reluctant to go much above 350K, if I'm being honest. Not that I can't afford to stretch to get to those prices right now. I just don't want to be saddled with a mega mortgage when interest rates do finally start approaching normality.

There are a few 900 ft maisonettes on Fieldhouse Rd right now, which are around the 400K mark. Are these no good for you? There as big as you'll get on Hydefarm.

If only they were 30-40K cheaper, I'd be tempted.

Re: Heaver estate, there is literally nothing on the market right now. I imagine a sea of BTLers, all on low SVRs, sitting pretty and coining it in. V depressing.

Come on Mervyn, time to hike those rates...

Ahh to be clear, we're looking for a ground floor flat with the full garden not the galley gardens with a ladder going down to the back :) The ground floors are small are the 900ft'rs on the first/second floor?

HOLA4417

Ahh to be clear, we're looking for a ground floor flat with the full garden not the galley gardens with a ladder going down to the back :) The ground floors are small are the 900ft'rs on the first/second floor?

Sorry yes, the 900 footers - both ground and first floor - all come with gardens split down the middle.

This one being a current example:

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/search?property_id=764295&search_form=map&search_type=SS&submit_type=search

I don't know Balham that well - don't live there at the moment - but I'd guess a lot of the maisonettes are like that? Are there any GF maisonettes, partic on Hydefarm, that own all the garden? If so, that's potentially good news for me, cos I'm happier without a garden on the first floor.

What does having a garden add to the price tag, would you say? 25k?

Mate, you can have the ground floor maisonette with all the garden, and I'll have the first floor!! ;)

HOLA4418

Btw, I should say that I don't know Balham that well anymore, having lived there over 10 years ago, when a 2 bedder on Heaver could be had for 80 grand!

The high street was all Woolies and Wetherspoons. Not a Waitrose in sight.

But while there might be a load more coffee shops there, has the area really improved in 10 years? All I know for certain is that the housing stock has aged by 10 years....and more than tripled in price!!

Nuts. Still, Balham has its charms, or I wouldn't be looking there.

Certainly more appealing than Clapham. Although by contrast to Balham, "Clapham" covers such a large area - and a multitude of sins...

Edited by wontshoptiltheydrop

HOLA4419

Btw, I should say that I don't know Balham that well anymore, having lived there over 10 years ago, when a 2 bedder on Heaver could be had for 80 grand!

But while there might be a load more coffee shops there, has the area really improved in 10 years? All I know for certain is that the housing stock has aged by 10 years....and more than tripled in price!!

Certainly more appealing than Clapham. Although by contrast to Balham, "Clapham" covers such a large area - and a multitude of sins...

Think state primary schools have improved in the area.

HOLA4420

Think state primary schools have improved in the area.

Yep Telferscot & Henry Cavendish are both superb schools, excellent headmistresses &c. Very active PTFAs. People say they generally view them as good as private prep schools, but I don't know how much of that is propaganda. I know a lot of people who still go privately who live in Balham.

HOLA4421

I'm biased as I've lived here for 10 years - I'd say the Hyde Farm, Nightingale, and Heaver bits of Balham are all very good - good schools, active community groups (Hyde Farm has two churches, a big NCT contingent, Hyde Farm CAN, a community garden, street parties), decent restaurants (generally good but you've got Chez Bruce), it's quiet for London, Balham is about the last tube that you can get a seat on the Northern Line @ 730am, there's a Waitrose, close to Wandsworth Common and Tooting Commons ... I'll shut up now, sound like an estate agent!

HOLA4422

Regarding ground floor noise, I've lived in 3 different maisonettes around Balham (Nightinggale, and Central) and it really does depend on each property. One Heaver property on Huron Road had had proper sound proofing done, but at expense of the ceiling height. Most will not come with truly excellent sound proofing and if they have any sort of hard surface above you, you're going to hear it. I've seen a dozen places in Hyde Farm and you *can* hear people upstairs but (purely on viewings) it didn't seem excessive.

Maybe sounds stupid, but I think the noise situation simply comes down to having carpets or not in the upstairs flat.

We lived downstairs in one purpose built maisonette in Balham (near but not on the Hyde Farm) and we had no problem with noise. Helped that we knew our upstairs neighbour slightly before he moved in (he bought after us) so he was happy to put carpets down, but generally he & us were pretty noisy but the soundproofing was good & we had no issues.

However, our next door neighbours had endless problems with the lady & 3 really active young kids living above them, who had floorboards, to the extent that they sold after a couple of years (and only arranged viewings during the day when they knew the kids would be out at school). They sold for more than they'd paid 2 or 3 years earlier so they were very relieved.

So ... not sure either anecdote helps the OP. I personally wouldn't buy a GF maisonette in the Hyde Farm because of the potential for noise from the ceiling, but I would buy a FF maisonette as I'd be the one making the noise. One other big advantage of the Hyde Farm is that it's been traffic-calmed so it's very quiet (Cavendish, Emmanuel, Weir, Thornton as the surrounding roads are obviously a bit noisier, but still not very busy for London.

While *a lot* of viewings are happening right now, not a lot of transactions are going on. I think it's a case of a lot of buyers are there, but with as we've mentioned before there's a bit of a standoff, actual sale prices aren't rising and so buyers can for now afford to bide their time.

So my search has ticked up from 320ish @ the start of the year to 360ish now, so supply is definitely inching up.

HOLA4423

Henry Cavendish catchment area is the other thing that keeps Hyde Farm house prices high. Which has been shown this week to be very risky.

Letters went out on Monday & the catchment area is 247m from the centre of the playground (health warning: I've heard that figure from 3 friends, but not seen it published anywhere yet; Lambeth will publish the figures at some point so it can be verified). That catchment area is down significantly on last year. For example, that makes the catchment area about 2/3rds of the way down Scholars/Pentney/Haverhill, and probably a quarter of the way down Laitwood or Sistova or Hydethorpe.

So the people who outbid us earlier in the year on a couple of roads, presumably because they thought they were in the catchment area, are going to be feeling pretty sick this week. Having said that, we thought that the houses were in the catchment area so we'd have been looking pretty stupid too.

Was bored at work yesterday so searched for houses on Rightmove that advertise as being in the Henry Cavendish catchment area, and tried to unscientifically check if they were in the catchment area or not. Found 11 that advertise as being in the catchment area, of which 3 are definitely in and 4 are possibly in, with 4 definitely out. If anyone knows any good mapping software, I can try and do it properly. Regardless, the next time I speak to an agent who says "Henry Cavendish ... blah blah ... extra £100k" I shall say "Er ... no because ..."

Maybe (suspect just outside)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29325373.html

The property also falls into the Henry Cavendish Primary School catchment. Properties in this area are highly sought after so an early viewing is recommended.

Maybe (will double check location as the RM pin doesn't seem to be right)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26472310.html

located in the highly sought after Hydefarm Estate of Balham and within catchment of Henry Cavendish School

Maybe (suspect just outside)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32807738.html

also falls within the catchment area for the popular Henry Cavendish Primary School.

Yes

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-17528295.html

Located in the sought after Henry Cavendish catchment area, this four double bed two bathroom house is an ideal family home.

Maybe (suspect just in inside)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31743071.html

Located on Hydethorpe Road within the sought after Henry Cavendish Primary School catchment area,

No

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29325319.html

Haverhill Road is in the catchment area for the highly regarded Henry Cavendish Primary School.

No

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33022412.html

Located on the corner of Pentney Road and Emmanuel Road, one of Balham most sought after locations only minutes from the ever popular Henry Cavendish School

No

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29123947.html

and also falls within the sought after Henry Cavendish Primary School catchment area.

No

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32185085.html

Located within close proximity to an impressive array of amenities inclusive of Henry Cavendish school,

Yes

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28795384.html

A spacious three bedroomed terraced house conveniently located close to Henry Cavendish school and the station

Yes

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32353703.html?premiumA=true

HOLA4424

Small stakes, just wanted to say thanks you provide so much data to mull over it's really valuable, so cheers!

Re noise, yeah it comes down to carpeting and layout mostly. We had one place off trinity rd where the upstairs owner was a keen cyclist with hard wood floors. At 430am when he got up to go biking he'd wear his cycling shoes and sounded like a tap dancer having a fit to us underneath.

I'm not sure how much having a garden adds to the price in £ terms, but for us we won't consider any property that doesn't have the full width garden (the galley ones aren't nice and you can't get direct rear access, normally relying in stairs or the 'l shape' to access it.

That requirement reduces the stock quite a lot most Hyde farm maisonettes have split gardens but Heaver and nightingale tend to give the ground floor the full garden and the 1st and 2nd floors get the sq footage.

HOLA4425

Small stakes, just wanted to say thanks you provide so much data to mull over it's really valuable, so cheers!

No probs ... Tell me if it's too much!

I think I'm particularly obsessed at the moment as I really want to buy a house we're going to be in for 10Y. So every piece of information is really useful from people's stories and market info.