Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grimbert

York

15 posts in this topic

Why aren't prices going down?

Actually I can prove they are in some cases, but generally prices are too high. Someone prove me wrong.

Because more people feel the need to buy than to sell

[quote name='Grimbert' date='15 April 2010 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1271292131' post='2473855']
Why aren't prices going down?

Actually I can prove they are in some cases, but generally prices are too high. Someone prove me wrong.
[/quote]

Easily commutable to high-paying public sector jobs in Leeds and the surrounding area.
Pretty, desirable city with very few chav hellholes (Tang Hall being about the only serious one).
Tourist attractions boost desirability.
Fast and relatively reliable train to London (I know someone who commutes to London daily).

Even so, I'm surprised that York was barely affected by the 2007-08 reductions, except in the very low end properties.

[quote name='The Ayatollah Buggeri' date='25 April 2010 - 11:46 AM' timestamp='1272195973' post='2486805']
Easily commutable to high-paying public sector jobs in Leeds and the surrounding area.
Pretty, desirable city with very few chav hellholes (Tang Hall being about the only serious one).
Tourist attractions boost desirability.
Fast and relatively reliable train to London (I know someone who commutes to London daily).

Even so, I'm surprised that York was barely affected by the 2007-08 reductions, except in the very low end properties.
[/quote]

Not quite sure about Tang Hall being the only Chav hellhole but York is definitely an attractive place to be.

I've seen some higher-end (400-500k) houses in York go very quickly, one in about two weeks or less.

This made me smile:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26894848.html

Sold in March 2009 with a lot less "fancy" interior for 200k. The PDF on rightmove says offers in region of 325k. The actual listing is less...

The owner must be in a dream world, the interior doesn't suit the type of property at all imo... Am sorely tempted to offer 100k and explain I'd want to spend a lot refurbing...

[quote name='The Ayatollah Buggeri' date='25 April 2010 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1272195973' post='2486805']
Easily commutable to high-paying [b]public sector jobs[/b] in Leeds and the surrounding area...........snip[/quote]
So game over then?

[quote name='Sof' timestamp='1285190540' post='2719722']
This made me smile:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26894848.html

Sold in March 2009 with a lot less "fancy" interior for 200k. The PDF on rightmove says offers in region of 325k. The actual listing is less...

The owner must be in a dream world, the interior doesn't suit the type of property at all imo... Am sorely tempted to offer 100k and explain I'd want to spend a lot refurbing...
[/quote]

Oh what a surprise, now for sale at £275k.

£90k and I may consider viewing it.

[quote name='Sof' timestamp='1292710344' post='2827479']
Oh what a surprise, now for sale at £275k.

£90k and I may consider viewing it.
[/quote]

again for rightmove for YO1, monthly rental value unlikely more than £1000 pcm, poss a bit less

puts balanced price at about 165k, I would guess, not being closely familiar

[url="http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/showroad.html?type=road&road=BRINKWORTH+TERRACE&district=YORK&locality=YORK&country=england&postcodes=a%3A1%3A%7Bi%3A0%3Bs%3A8%3A%22YO10+3DE%22%3B%7D&date=all&order=dateup&redirect=showroad.html%3Ftype%3Droad%26road%3DBRINKWORTH%2BTERRACE%26district%3DYORK%26locality%3DYORK%26country%3Dengland%26postcodes%3Da%253A1%253A%257Bi%253A0%253Bs%253A8%253A%2522YO10%2B3DE%2522%253B%257D%26date%3Dall%26order%3Ddateup"]original sale[/url]
2004-05-06

Apartment 11, Heron House, Brinkworth Terrace, York, YO10 3DE
Flat, Leasehold, New Build add details...

£182,450

[url="http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/LotDetails.asp?A=711&MP=84&ID=711000169&S=C&O=A"]auction sale 26 May 2011[/url]

Guide Price £100,000 - £110,000
Result £127,500

11 Heron House Court
Brinkworth Terrace
North Yorkshire
YO10

Looks like a repossession.

[img]http://files.sharenator.com/CLAPPING_GIF-s300x225-49282-580.gif[/img]

I look at the Harrogate side villages around York and i do see prices falling and stagnation. If you look at somehwere like Boroughbridge the place is tanking. Easingwold is no great shakes neither - all circa 10% down from peak and cuts being the order of the day.

[quote name='Brave New World' timestamp='1307092095' post='3008571']
I look at the Harrogate side villages around York and i do see prices falling and stagnation. If you look at somehwere like Boroughbridge the place is tanking. Easingwold is no great shakes neither - all circa 10% down from peak and cuts being the order of the day.
[/quote]

I'm looking at Malton and villages to the north and east of York and I'm seeing a lot fewer delusional prices, and a lot of the vendors who have been on the market over a year at high prices are reducing (and chasing the market down).

some of the big cuts are just a measure of the massive delusion the vendors had in the first place, though. I would love to see a local version of the Delusion Index - wonder how it compares with national.

[quote name='Brave New World' timestamp='1307092095' post='3008571']
[/quote]

I visit a friend in Helperby quite frequently and have noticed a gradual uptick of for sale boards going up and staying up over the last 2-3 months.