57 replies to this topic

#16 billfunk

billfunk

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

Thats it you see. All you Pussy's :P who stick to A* & A markets only are driving rates through the floor. Better money is to be had in higher risk markets - just spread risk and adjust interest to account for this.

I tend to agree. However, ZOPA is my only investment as I simply do not have enough money to diversify.

I feel obliged to offer at lower rates to A and A* borrowers to get my money lent out. If I offer 8 or 9% I am still beating the w a nk er banks and ISAs. I have yet to pick up any bad debts which is good because they would undermine my strategy ATM.

I am looking at swooping on some of the listings. Particularly ones asking for £10K that have difficulty getting covered. There is a serious lender called Supply who enters last minute and offers a grand or two at the highest rate.

If the borrower tells you he wants to consolidate and gives you a list of his present credit card debts (18,19,25% for instance) and you can get in on the auction at 17.5% he will still accept. If the same borrower has a 3 star credit rating on listings then you are beating the B and C markets by 3,4,5%.

This is one tactic I am looking to exploit in the future, however I will be obliged to continue offering 8ish% to A*s and under 9% to As. When the total money available drops to £1 million I see action at these rates. £1.5 million total on offer = no action.

#17 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,434 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:31 AM

If the borrower tells you he wants to consolidate and gives you a list of his present credit card debts (18,19,25% for instance) and you can get in on the auction at 17.5% he will still accept. If the same borrower has a 3 star credit rating on listings then you are beating the B and C markets by 3,4,5%.

That sounds high-risk! The spendthrift with all that creditcard debt shifts it onto you before re-maxing the cards. And with that great record of taking on and paying off debt, the lenders are falling over themselves to lend him/her more on new cards, etc.

#18 Kurt Barlow

Kurt Barlow

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:12 PM

I tend to agree. However, ZOPA is my only investment as I simply do not have enough money to diversify.

I feel obliged to offer at lower rates to A and A* borrowers to get my money lent out. If I offer 8 or 9% I am still beating the w a nk er banks and ISAs. I have yet to pick up any bad debts which is good because they would undermine my strategy ATM.

I am looking at swooping on some of the listings. Particularly ones asking for £10K that have difficulty getting covered. There is a serious lender called Supply who enters last minute and offers a grand or two at the highest rate.

This is one tactic I am looking to exploit in the future, however I will be obliged to continue offering 8ish% to A*s and under 9% to As. When the total money available drops to £1 million I see action at these rates. £1.5 million total on offer = no action.

A good tactic is to offer money over weekends, which means holding onto it until saturday rather than lending out. I normally have £100-£200 going in every friday.

I aim on all markets to lend at a minimum return of 6.1% after anticpated bad debt. At present I am finding I am getting good returns particularly in 60 month B,C & Y markets. Often A36 and b36 yields are below 6.1%

I lend a bit in listings too - slectively and at rates normally exceeding 10%

#19 TheBearNecessities

TheBearNecessities

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

I have £4,000 invested with Zopa. Return last year was 6.4% including bad debt.

#20 Kurt Barlow

Kurt Barlow

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

I have £4,000 invested with Zopa. Return last year was 6.4% including bad debt.

A pretty good return when you compare it to bank bonds.

I am finding rates in 60 month markets to be far better than 36 month. Anticpation of inflation ahead perhaps?

#21 Kurt Barlow

Kurt Barlow

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:50 PM

I have heard the Govt have lifted the limit of £25K for registration with a CCA Licence. Anyone know anything about this?

#22 exiges

exiges

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

I have £4500 lent out, with at an average rate of 9.5% , with just 1 bad debt so far (£20 @ 13%)

With NS&I pulling all their good rates, looks like I'm going to have to put more into Zopa, which is annoying since there are no guarantees of getting your money back.

Edited by exiges, 20 July 2010 - 08:36 AM.

Constant growth the cancerous cure, a swarming race of profiteers ensure cheap cars for the rich, cheap lives for the poor, cheap weeks in the sun, free drinks at the door. Puerile propaganda plugs up the TV, keep folk following the money so they'll never be free.

Bankrupt schools grind out fool after fool then feed them to a system where idiots rule. Polling booths, phone votes, bogus questionnaires, you get a say as if anybody cares. Joe Public doesn't want to play so liquidate his life as he looks the other way.

Should you stand and fight, should you die for what you think is right so your useless contribution will be remembered? If you're asking me I say no, surrender -- Author: Justin Currie - Song video

#23 getdoon_weebobby

getdoon_weebobby

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

I have £4500 lent out, with at an average rate of 9.5% , with just 1 bad debt so far (£20 @ 13%)

With NS&I pulling all their good rates, looks like I'm going to have to put more into Zopa, which is annoying since there are no guarantees of getting your money back.

due to the demise of nsi inflation linked certs , going to drip feed say £125 a week like kurt advised.

any advice that hasnt been covered in this thread?
Edward Cole: Here's something to remember when you're older Thomas - never pass up a bathroom, never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart.

Thomas: I'll remember that when I start "decrepitating" sir.

#24 Kurt Barlow

Kurt Barlow

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

due to the demise of nsi inflation linked certs , going to drip feed say £125 a week like kurt advised.

any advice that hasnt been covered in this thread?

Late payments seem to be on the rise. Might just be down to the holiday season but you never know.....

#25 Kurt Barlow

Kurt Barlow

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Late payments seem to be on the rise. Might just be down to the holiday season but you never know.....

Bump

How are other ZOPA investors finding it lately?

I have a managable number of late payers (less than 1%) in arrears but appear to be making reasonable attempts at paying the interest and some capital back. Ironically all A&B ratings

Currently have about £10K invested. 89% in A & B ratings. 11% in listings, C &Y

#26 exiges

exiges

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

How are other ZOPA investors finding it lately?

Things have stabilised, I was expecting the Lates to start rising, but they've been acceptable.

Closed: 45 -- Average rate: 9.25%

Late: 3 -- Average rate: 10.74% (2x B 1xA)

On Time: 371 -- Average rate: 9.28%

Processing: 3 -- Average rate: 8.27% (3x A*)

Written Off: 1 -- Average rate: 13% (1xB)

Edited by exiges, 16 September 2010 - 08:43 AM.

Constant growth the cancerous cure, a swarming race of profiteers ensure cheap cars for the rich, cheap lives for the poor, cheap weeks in the sun, free drinks at the door. Puerile propaganda plugs up the TV, keep folk following the money so they'll never be free.

Bankrupt schools grind out fool after fool then feed them to a system where idiots rule. Polling booths, phone votes, bogus questionnaires, you get a say as if anybody cares. Joe Public doesn't want to play so liquidate his life as he looks the other way.

Should you stand and fight, should you die for what you think is right so your useless contribution will be remembered? If you're asking me I say no, surrender -- Author: Justin Currie - Song video

#27 LaceUp

LaceUp

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

Bump.

Is the real benefit of Zopa the fact that interest is paid gross, unlike all other savings I know that are paid with the tax deducted. How many Zopa investors are declaring there interest payments on there tax return? Is it a good tax dodge or do Zopa have to reveal all to the tax man for us. Any thoughts?

#28 musehead

musehead

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

I think they report all interest earned to HMRC.

#29 scrappycocco

scrappycocco

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

Do they give a gross interest certificate every tax year so you can just simply enter the amount in your return?

#30 musehead

musehead

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

Yes, you can print an interest certificate directly from the website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users