Techy

Forum Upgrade Issues

aye looks a lot better now. Good changes.

Would still be better if the add reply button was next to clear selection on the reply edit screen - scrolling down a page to get to it is overkill.

Yep, looks much better. Except YOUR posts, RichB.

It seems that the length of your Location and Interests causes the windows showing your posts to fill half the screen on my 1920x1200 24" monitor.

Seems like the site should be doing a bit of truncation of these long personal details to stop this?

Apart from that, much, much better.

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd

Guest Steve Cook

The incremental changes that are happening are a bit slow for my liking. Howeve, this is easy for me to say since am not the poor sod who is having to implement them.

If these improvements keep on coming then I am more tyhan happy to accept the changes. However, the big thing for me is if the layout gets tightened up some more. Too much space. Too fluffy in an "MS Vista" kinda way.

Getting better though

Getting better

Sadly, IMO, the new layout sucks royally.

Can we have the old one back now please?

Realistbear has posted here for years and has contributed to the success of this site, I'm amazed that his opinions and those of others senior posters have been ignored, I've cut down my viewing of this once great site by around 80% since this 'upgrade' was applied.

There seems to be a communication problem insofar as people aren't reading, even a few posts up, before posting.

Unfortunately, the reason that we have not done this is because it's simply not possible. There were too many changes between the previous and newest versions of the forum software to simply use the old design. However, we're working as hard as possible on getting the new design to match both the previous design in terms of usability and all the new stuff that people are enjoying as a result of the upgrade - you'll just have to bear with us until we can get it sorted :-)

Thanks, Wardy, you've got a fair way to go yet, but you're getting there.

I have just spent the last two days unable to log into house price crash. Everytime I do it says sign in name missing. Which seems to suggest that I didnt fill in the box where you put your username. The fact remains is I did put in that box. This is a fault that the mods are probably unaware as there is no way to communicate with them unless you sign in. (Hence the reason for the post)

However do not click the button saying sign in at the top of the page. You will be doing for days as I have been doing. Instead simply enter your details on the login area above the forum posts. This seems unaffected.

Mods feel free to delete this post when you have fixed the problem. If I couldnt have gotton in today, compounded with the changes in template, I can honestly I would have left and given it up as a bad job. Sort it out please.

Edited by Rt. Hon. Lord Mandelson

Yep, looks much better. Except YOUR posts, RichB.

It seems that the length of your Location and Interests causes the windows showing your posts to fill half the screen on my 1920x1200 24" monitor.

Seems like the site should be doing a bit of truncation of these long personal details to stop this?

Aye - at least they've trimmed out the white space from it - now it doesn't quite cover an entire screen any more :P

Guest X-QUORK

I choose to not see signatures, they rarely contain anything worth reading and take up too much space. Since the upgrade I suspect the long blank spaces underneath some posters comments are the signature areas without the actual text. Please correct.

I have just spent the last two days unable to log into house price crash. Everytime I do it says sign in name missing....

Thanks LM, I was getting paranoid for a moment!

:unsure:

I choose to not see signatures, they rarely contain anything worth reading and take up too much space. Since the upgrade I suspect the long blank spaces underneath some posters comments are the signature areas without the actual text. Please correct.

Its the sig info on the left.

OOOOh they've trimmed the excess fat off :)

Very well done Wardy + co. Much better. Thanks!

Edited by RichB

Any news on the old skin coming back (the one that is in beta for the current software version of the board before anyway asks)? Traffic has dropped off a cliff and there seems to be a lack of new topics and replies since the new skin came online.

Can anyone tell me how to read everyones post without clicking on the sub tree below?

is it in settings? Where is it? I just want to read what eveyone has put without constantly clicking sh*t.

this is the biggest mistake I've ever seen any forum make.

This site is going to go down the pan after this maddening decision

what a shame

words still cannot describe this frustration.

Can anyone tell me how to read everyones post without clicking on the sub tree below?

is it in settings? Where is it? I just want to read what eveyone has put without constantly clicking sh*t.

this is the biggest mistake I've ever seen any forum make.

This site is going to go down the pan after this maddening decision

what a shame

words still cannot describe this frustration.

Er what sub trees? In the past this was a simple config setting but that menu has gone now, the new way to reset this is quite long winded

Try click on my settings from the menu at the top of the forum

Then click on Forums Tab

Change Topic Display Mode to standard

Press save changes

Edited by AteMoose

Er what sub trees? In the past this was a simple config setting but that menu has gone now! Try pressing the delete my cookies button at the bottom of the page

thanks for replying.

in the box below titled "thread" all I can see is peoples usernames and the first line of their posts, If I want to see what they've written I have to click on the damn sentence.

Surely this cannot be on purpose? and if I'm having this problem running firefox I can't imagine the frustration this must cause to others.

I still have the problem.

Cheers anyway.

thanks for replying.

in the box below titled "thread" all I can see is peoples usernames and the first line of their posts, If I want to see what they've written I have to click on the damn sentence.

Surely this cannot be on purpose? and if I'm having this problem running firefox I can't imagine the frustration this must cause to others.

I still have the problem.

Cheers anyway.

I think you're clicking on the wrong 'Forums'. It's the blue tab you want, followed by 'Topic Display Mode'.

settings.png

post-8051-12549166224769_thumb.png

I think you're clicking on the wrong 'Forums'. It's the blue tab you want, followed by 'Topic Display Mode'.

settings.png

thankyou very much,

that has sorted it. why is this not set as standard? or was it just mine that was set like this?

Thanks again.

that has sorted it. why is this not set as standard? or was it just mine that was set like this?

Sometimes doing a search can trip Display Mode into Outline.

I've no idea why.

why is this not set as standard? or was it just mine that was set like this?

It looks as if using Google to search for things on HPC will sometimes lead you to a page where this option is set, and when you look at the page it changes your settings permanently (or at least until you change them back yourself).

It looks as if using Google to search for things on HPC will sometimes lead you to a page where this option is set, and when you look at the page it changes your settings permanently (or at least until you change them back yourself).

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes,definitely.

I haven't been able to log on at work since this "upgrade".

Keep getting error msg "user name not entered"

when I go to sign in.

I wonder how many other users have been affected.

Edited by Maddog21

We're still trying to get hold of the old style skin. The Invision community are reluctant to release it as it's still a bit buggy. However, there are loads of forums in the same situation as us so there is a lot of pressure for them to release it.

Hang in there folks, hopefully it won't be much longer!